Author
Arapiles new toilets vandalised
One Day Hero
3-Apr-2012
5:19:23 PM
On 3/04/2012 bones wrote:
>Of all crimes vandelism is the one I just can't understand, and it makes
>me the most angry. No one benefits!

Really? Bogan kids busting the latches on public toilets makes you more angry than child sexual abuse?

It isn't that difficult to understand; teenage boys feel; alienated, ignored, bored......need to rebel against society a little in order to find their identity, need to give a little 'fuch you' to the authority which is everywhere. I reckon that some form of anti-social naughtiness is a helpful stepping stone for lots of teenage boys on the way to becoming normal (nice) adults. Not that I think kicking dunny doors in is the most creative way to go about it.

Do you really struggle to understand vandalism that much?
Mike Bee
3-Apr-2012
5:41:51 PM
Were there any climbers camping in the Gums who heard anything untoward happening?
I imagine there would have been a bit of noise involved, so I'd be surprised if noone heard anyting.
davis
3-Apr-2012
6:58:26 PM
I think it was probably one of the college groups that were there that week they were the classic punk-ass 13-15 yearold brats with their teachers giving letting them run riot.

Ben_E
3-Apr-2012
10:38:08 PM
On 3/04/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Really? Bogan kids busting the latches on public toilets makes you more
>angry than child sexual abuse?

I'm sure if he barges into the toilets to find someone sexually abusing kids Bones will find it in himself to at least be a little peeved (about the abuse as well as the broken latch, that is).

I don't care how alienated the poor misunderstood teenage cherubs are; plenty of other ways to rebel rather than vandalizing stuff. Buy a crappy guitar and play obnoxious music really loudly, get so many piercings that you look like an ankylosaurus crossed with a battleship, convert to the fundamentalist religion of your choice... whatever it takes to really get up your parents' noses. Just don't break or spray stuff. Of course, I realize advocating socially responsible rebellion is a little lame and is unlikely to really take off...

Nail the offenders up for Easter, I say!

StuckNut
3-Apr-2012
10:45:41 PM
On 3/04/2012 shortman wrote:

>Rumour has it that the top of Arapiles is quite a well known spot for
>rooties when one first gets their license.

Says the guy who recently got his license!

shortman
3-Apr-2012
11:59:38 PM
On 3/04/2012 STEALTH wrote:

>The Ranger had to spend half a day cleaning them.
>This sort of behaviour is not putting climbers in a good light with park
>management.
>
>If anyone knows anything about it they should report it to PV on 131963.
>Not a good start to Easter hols.

Half a day? Ya plunge em, glove up take care of whatever is left, hose it down and walk away. Are there 6-8 dunnies? 45 minutes max. Sounds like exaggerated 'poor me and the world' crap to me.

But don't get me wrong It's still wack and I'd love to catch 'em in the act.
ZERO
4-Apr-2012
8:46:57 AM
On 3/04/2012 shortman wrote:

>Half a day? Ya plunge em, glove up take care of whatever is left, hose
>it down and walk away. Are there 6-8 dunnies? 45 minutes max. Sounds like
>exaggerated 'poor me and the world' crap to me.

Pretty harsh shortman.
Why don't you offer to clean the dunnies on a volunteer basis over Easter as you are obviously highly skilled at handling sh!t.
I am only reporting what the Ranger told me.

evanbb
4-Apr-2012
9:04:45 AM
On 3/04/2012 crazyjohn wrote:
>I completely agree with everyone so far. Completely. It is a disgrace that
>parks is vandalizing the park with those horrible new dunnys. They should
>instead spend the money on petrol for the rangers so they can drive far
>far away.

evanbb
4-Apr-2012
9:08:13 AM
Went to Red Point, at Jervis Bay one year, and there's a smouldering ruin of a dunny there. Get talking to the ranger who'd just come from 7-Mile Beach. Opened new dunnies the day before; pretty flash ones. First night of operation some visionary fills all the bowls with petrol and then lights a wick. Ranger reckons the explosion blew one of the new stainless bowls clear out of the toilet block.

ajfclark
4-Apr-2012
9:44:13 AM
Rocked up at Mount Beckworth once and found the toilets looked like this:
Mount Beckworth Toilets
Apparently the structure had been used for firewood.

shortman
4-Apr-2012
9:44:28 AM
On 4/04/2012 STEALTH wrote:
>On 3/04/2012 shortman wrote:
>
>>Half a day? Ya plunge em, glove up take care of whatever is left, hose
>>it down and walk away. Are there 6-8 dunnies? 45 minutes max. Sounds
>like
>>exaggerated 'poor me and the world' crap to me.
>
>Pretty harsh shortman.
>Why don't you offer to clean the dunnies on a volunteer basis over Easter
>as you are obviously highly skilled at handling sh!t.

That I am. Need a job?

nmonteith
4-Apr-2012
9:45:18 AM
I really can't see why anyone would have a political issue with a toilet, but I do remember Baxter's beat-up in Rock mag when the original pit toilets were installed in the Gums! Ohhhh the controversy....

Most of the worlds population would kill to have a nice toilet and someone to clean it up. It's a disgrace that such a vital piece of infrastructure is destroyed - but I also agree with ODH. I remember as a 'problem child' I vandalized a few things. Not sure on retrospection why I did it at the time. Mostly just about the thrill of flirting with trouble... and I enjoyed seeing things burn and explode. Something in the young male psyche about leaving the nest - all my friends were similarly into pushing barriers with authority. Shoplifting was another one of those activities. I didn't care what I got I just wanted to see if I could get away with it. We all grew out of it to some degree.
maxdacat
4-Apr-2012
9:55:43 AM
On 3/04/2012 Mike Bee wrote:
>Were there any climbers camping in the Gums who heard anything untoward
>happening?
>I imagine there would have been a bit of noise involved, so I'd be surprised
>if noone heard anyting.

Was just there all last week until Monday....heard people talk about the new toilets but not about any damage. There was a big group of kids there until Friday but they seemed pretty well behaved, and were being kept busy with activities. Mostly it was rather quiet the whole time with the usual chilled climber vibe.....didn't notice any blow ins who might want to cause this sort of trouble.

IronCheff
4-Apr-2012
10:13:16 AM
I wonder if shiny new dunnies are more likely to be vandalised than crappy old ones. Maybe dunnies could be made to look vandalised / graffitied yet still be functional.
ZERO
4-Apr-2012
10:25:56 AM
The picture above shows a "functional" dunny.
Would also discourage loitering, shooting up etc.

ajfclark
4-Apr-2012
10:42:58 AM
The view was better too. Pretty sure it smelt less as there was more breeze.

nmonteith
4-Apr-2012
10:54:01 AM
On 4/04/2012 IronCheff wrote:
>Maybe dunnies could be made to look vandalised / graffitied
>yet still be functional.

I noticed the other day that the fabric used on Sydney public bus seats actually has pseudo graffiti in the pattern. Really bad looking marker tags and scribbles. So if you tried to draw on it no one would be able to tell what was the pretend stuff and what is the tag. Quite clever really.
One Day Hero
4-Apr-2012
11:10:41 AM
On 3/04/2012 Mike Bee wrote:
>Were there any climbers camping in the Gums who heard anything untoward
>happening?
>I imagine there would have been a bit of noise involved, so I'd be surprised
>if noone heard anyting.

Are you starting up the Chockstone Special Investigations Unit? For christ's sake, you think you're going to find the perp by just sitting behind the computer and asking "did anyone see who did it?"

Really top notch work so far, Columbo!

shortman
4-Apr-2012
11:36:41 AM
I thought Stealth and co. started that up ages ago?
ZERO
4-Apr-2012
12:05:52 PM
Yes! Next time the dunny will be blocked by the perpetrator's head :-)

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 52
There are 52 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints