General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 30
Author
Lincoln Hall Dead

billk
22-Mar-2012
11:56:33 AM
On 22/03/2012 hero wrote:
>Sh1tty way for a nice guy and Australian climbing great to die.
>

Well said Hero.

We are all in the reverse lottery to get cancer but mesothelioma is almost entirely preventable. The bastards who were making their money from it knew what it did as early as the 1950s but involved themselves in the same kind of deceptions as the tobacco companies to protect their profits. Then there was all their dirty work to avoid paying compensation to their victims.
MichaelOR
22-Mar-2012
1:57:07 PM
They knew in 1956. And kept selling it for building and in other uses widely for decades. Was even allowed to be still used in brake pads until very recently. Bad luck for the poor workers in car servicing.....

billk
22-Mar-2012
2:12:09 PM
On 22/03/2012 MichaelOR wrote:
>They knew in 1956. And kept selling it for building and in other uses widely
>for decades. Was even allowed to be still used in brake pads until very
>recently. Bad luck for the poor workers in car servicing.....

Please write something for SMH about it Michael. Happy to help you, if you want, as cancer prevention research is my work.

tnd
22-Mar-2012
4:49:15 PM
On 22/03/2012 billk wrote:
>On 22/03/2012 MichaelOR wrote:
>>They knew in 1956. And kept selling it for building and in other uses
>widely
>>for decades. Was even allowed to be still used in brake pads until very
>>recently. Bad luck for the poor workers in car servicing.....
>
>Please write something for SMH about it Michael. Happy to help you, if
>you want, as cancer prevention research is my work.

Wrong Michael O'R, Bill. The one you want posts as BigMike.
MichaelOR
22-Mar-2012
7:54:01 PM
Correct - wrong Michael OR! Mike's bigger apparently. I climb in the Gramps, Mike in the Bluies.

The asbestos story and facts are well know - they were aired relatively recently with the corporate avoidance strategy used (legally!) by James Hardie - going off shore. Yes, a compensation fund was set up, but it is predicted by most to run out of money well before compensation claims stop. Why were they allowed to do this?

Myself, I've been exposed as a science teacher (stacking asbestos mats in cupoboards repeatedly and breathing in the dust in the 80s - pink asbestos), crawling around on an asbestos riddled roof covering building greenhouse at a school for several days (top of a second story building), downwind of a school being demolished (again with asbestos freely exposed and disturbed). That was in the 90s. All of that exposure was as a Govt School teacher at work.
What really upsets me is that asbestos was used because it was cheap and it served its' purpose. But the dangers were known in 1956.
There's nothing I can do about my exposure now. I figure everyone my age has had exposure - most just will not know when, how and how much. The future is just a lottery. Sadly Lincoln lost. We are all the poorer for his passing.
Michael

tnd
23-Mar-2012
8:31:25 AM
>Correct - wrong Michael OR! Mike's bigger apparently. I climb in the Gramps,
>Mike in the Bluies.

No, he retired from climbing and became a MAMIL (middle aged man in lycra).
lacto
23-Mar-2012
9:02:05 AM
>
>The asbestos story and facts are well know - they were aired relatively
>recently with the corporate avoidance strategy used (legally!) by James
>Hardie - going off shore. Yes, a compensation fund was set up, but it is
>predicted by most to run out of money well before compensation claims stop.
>Why were they allowed to do this?
>
>>Michael
James hardie may have tried to avoid liablity but what about others responsibility in this , building regs wanted asbestos , governments still specified asbestos in their products etc . The worst asbesros mine in australia was wittenoon established and owned by Lang Hankock - is gina putting anything into the funds? Virtually ever american company just declared bankrupt , . Believe it or not a Canadian company is still exporting several million tonnes a year into India where it is seen as an excellent and cheap building material . Most of the white dust from the world trade collapse was asbestos used as fire protection

cruze
23-Mar-2012
10:06:20 AM
Do you think that this asbestos stuff could be put in a different thread? Not the thread to highjack.

billk
23-Mar-2012
11:58:00 AM
On 22/03/2012 tnd wrote:
>On 22/03/2012 billk wrote:
>>On 22/03/2012 MichaelOR wrote:
>>>They knew in 1956. And kept selling it for building and in other uses
>>widely
>>>for decades. Was even allowed to be still used in brake pads until very
>>>recently. Bad luck for the poor workers in car servicing.....
>>
>>Please write something for SMH about it Michael. Happy to help you, if
>>you want, as cancer prevention research is my work.
>
>Wrong Michael O'R, Bill. The one you want posts as BigMike.

Oops! Thanks Niall.

billk
23-Mar-2012
12:03:26 PM
>Correct - wrong Michael OR! Mike's bigger apparently. I climb in the Gramps,
>Mike in the Bluies.

Oops sorry Michael! Will try to get to Nuna soon. That's where we usually cross paths.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 30
There are 30 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints