General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 43
Author
not thievery but worse??
kieranl
3-Jan-2012
2:49:17 PM
On 3/01/2012 alrob wrote:
>Thank you Mike for an honest opinion of the party.
>
Al,
why didn't you thank Freesolo for his honest opinion of the party? Equally honest, equally valid? Sure he went way over the top in his later post but the responses he got to his initial post were pretty arrogant from all and sundry.

comablur
3-Jan-2012
2:51:08 PM
On 3/01/2012 simey wrote:
>Is this thread serious? Given the party was held in the picnic shelter,
>I reckon it was pretty hard to even hear any sound from the Pines. If you
>were camped at the bottom of the northern campground, you might have heard
>a bit more noise, but jeezus, it's NYE! The time taken to move your tent
>would probably be less than bitching about it on Chockstone.
>
Come on Simey, you know that BITCHING is all that is left for Chockstone!!

alrob
3-Jan-2012
3:03:59 PM
On 3/01/2012 kieranl wrote:
>On 3/01/2012 alrob wrote:
>>Thank you Mike for an honest opinion of the party.
>>
>Al,
>why didn't you thank Freesolo for his honest opinion of the party? Equally
>honest, equally valid? Sure he went way over the top in his later post
>but the responses he got to his initial post were pretty arrogant from
>all and sundry.
>

I didn't thank freesolo because of his use of gross exaggeration and and petty language in order to put forward his opinion. If he were to have been more rational and reasonable with his views I would have responded in an equal manner ie; like adults.

climbingjac
3-Jan-2012
7:43:33 PM
It's become a well known fact that if you don't want to be disrupted by nighttime noise, then Arapiles is not the place for you at Easter or New Years Eve. There are probably few places on the planet that would be quiet on New Years Eve anyhow. Since we all generally live to about 100 years of age or less, we get a maximum of say, 100 New Years Eve's in a lifetime. Might as well tuck in and enjoy them :-)
Wendy
3-Jan-2012
10:32:50 PM
Al, Phil, Josh and co, thanks for going to the effort to put together the party, it was great, we had a ball.

Keiran, I was hanging out at a friend's campsite in the pines until about 10pm, and I could barely hear the music there. I had my van parked at the start of the management track to the summit road, and I was not disturbed by the music there when I went back to it about 6 am either. I really don't think it was problematically loud.

I get it, fs, you're a bit miffed you didn't get to dance with Jason in the baby bouncer. Or Simey in the Big M bikini. There'll be other opportunities once you've learnt the value of just joining in the fun. How much climbing were most people ever going to get done in the 42 degree heat of NY day anyway? I had to go to work that day, but I certainly wan't complaining about missing out on sleep.

wallwombat
3-Jan-2012
11:50:37 PM
No Dead Kennedys and burning possums?
kieranl
4-Jan-2012
8:34:27 AM
I don't have a problem with parties at Arapiles and would certainly expect them on New Years Eve and other "big" weekends.
I've just got a problem with this concept that there is somehow a "right" to keep people awake until dawn. There's no such thing - it's just self-serving rubbish.
On the other hand, Freesolo could have gone down to the party at some reasonable time (say 1AM) and asked to have the volume turned down - I'm assuming he didn't. I know it's intimidating but I've done it many times in the past at Arapiles.
pecheur
4-Jan-2012
8:51:02 AM
On 4/01/2012 kieranl wrote:
>I don't have a problem with parties at Arapiles and would certainly expect
>them on New Years Eve and other "big" weekends.
>I've just got a problem with this concept that there is somehow a "right"
>to keep people awake until dawn. There's no such thing - it's just self-serving
>rubbish.
>On the other hand, Freesolo could have gone down to the party at some
>reasonable time (say 1AM) and asked to have the volume turned down - I'm
>assuming he didn't. I know it's intimidating but I've done it many times
>in the past at Arapiles.

Whilst I agree with this in principle, at say 1AM, there would still have been 30 odd people partying away. What does Freesolo do if / when they say: "No it's NYE man!" Or something similar?

I only see three options:
1. Take the offered ear plugs
2. Call the cops (who'd ignore him)
3. Come back with a hammer ...
dmnz
4-Jan-2012
9:05:36 AM
replace 3 with 4: come back with a hex or lots of them
kieranl
4-Jan-2012
9:18:42 AM
On 4/01/2012 pecheur wrote:
>Whilst I agree with this in principle, at say 1AM, there would still have
>been 30 odd people partying away. What does Freesolo do if / when they
>say: "No it's NYE man!" Or something similar?
I've only had that problem once, and that was because I let myself get angry beforehand and shouted rather than asked.
But if you're reasonable and they aren't cooperative, back off. You don't want to get in a fight with a bunch of drunk/drugged idiots.
bl@ke
4-Jan-2012
9:25:26 AM
>On 4/01/2012 pecheur wrote:
>>Whilst I agree with this in principle, at say 1AM, there would still
>have
>>been 30 odd people partying away. What does Freesolo do if / when they
>>say: "No it's NYE man!" Or something similar?
>I've only had that problem once, and that was because I let myself get
>angry beforehand and shouted rather than asked.
>But if you're reasonable and they aren't cooperative, back off. You don't
>want to get in a fight with a bunch of drunk/drugged idiots.

I find that offensive. You grumpy grumpy person.
>

BoulderBaby
4-Jan-2012
9:37:38 AM
On 4/01/2012 bl@ke wrote:
>On 4/01/2012 kieranl wrote:
>>On 4/01/2012 pecheur wrote:
>>>Whilst I agree with this in principle, at say 1AM, there would still
>>have
>>>been 30 odd people partying away. What does Freesolo do if / when they
>>>say: "No it's NYE man!" Or something similar?
>>I've only had that problem once, and that was because I let myself get
>>angry beforehand and shouted rather than asked.
>>But if you're reasonable and they aren't cooperative, back off. You don't
>>want to get in a fight with a bunch of drunk/drugged idiots.
>
>I find that offensive. You grumpy grumpy person.
>>

Then don't get old/have children/keep climbing.
bl@ke
4-Jan-2012
10:02:01 AM
I must say I lived at the pines for a fair few months and I had not one sleepless night due to loud partys.
I did though have many nights of interupted nights sleep because of children, school children, the type of climbers who are there "to climb" who rock up at the pines and melt your tent with their highbeams and tramp back and forth past your tent and every time they pass they have to look at your tent with their bloody headtorch, climbers who get up at 6am and run off to do D minor with 3 number 11 hex's "just incase"
and grumpy climbers who hate us young'ns and insist on bitching about it on chockstone and get nothing done except get their asses handed too them because a majority of the people they bitch to on chockstone were at the party living it like they should instead being bitter at the top of the gums because they can hear the faintest music noise, so faint infact that they cant here it if a mozzie flys between them and the speakers 200m away.

'Non of these cams, I only use old friends and knots for protections, you're all stupid for using anything lighter and less fidly!' - Old trad dad grumpy bastard

alrob
4-Jan-2012
10:03:43 AM
>I've just got a problem with this concept that there is somehow a "right"
>to keep people awake until dawn. There's no such thing - it's just self-serving
>rubbish.

I dont think anyone but yourself or those against the idea of the party has ever taken up the position that it is our 'right' to keep people up all night. Infact it seems you've used that concept as your own piece of self serving rubbish to try and prove a point.

Now I don't think we know each other Kieren, but I'm sure you're a reasonable person like myself. But accusations such as

>But if you're reasonable and they aren't cooperative, back off. You don't
>want to get in a fight with a bunch of drunk/drugged idiots.

seem counter intuitive to my presumption. You don't know me or my friends. So don't go labeling us as drunken idiots who want to fight. There were probably a few of your friends down there who you wouldnt describe in that way.

And don't you live in town anyway?

Getting on your high horse and throwing around your unreasonable opinions whilst expecting reasonable outcomes is pretty hypocritical.
Mike Bee
4-Jan-2012
10:19:38 AM
On 3/01/2012 alrob wrote:
>Thank you Mike for an honest opinion of the party.
>
>I'm glad we didn't affect your time at Araps as much as some others.
>

I'm happy to say that I welcomed in the new year in one of the best ways possible, in the tent, naked with a pretty girl! ;-)
kieranl
4-Jan-2012
10:37:15 AM
On 4/01/2012 alrob wrote:
>On 4/01/2012 kieranl wrote:
>>I've just got a problem with this concept that there is somehow a "right"
>>to keep people awake until dawn. There's no such thing - it's just self-serving
>>rubbish.
>
>I dont think anyone but yourself or those against the idea of the party
>has ever taken up the position that it is our 'right' to keep people up
>all night. Infact it seems you've used that concept as your own piece of
>self serving rubbish to try and prove a point.
>

Alrob,
could I quote from your first post :
"The last all night NYE party was a few years ago I believe. 2 sleepless nights in 3 years at the Pines??? Sounds like a pretty good ratio for the sleepy folk out there. "
That's pretty much what I based it on.

>Now I don't think we know each other Kieren, but I'm sure you're a reasonable
>person like myself. But accusations such as
>
>>But if you're reasonable and they aren't cooperative, back off. You don't
>>want to get in a fight with a bunch of drunk/drugged idiots.
>
>seem counter intuitive to my presumption. You don't know me or my friends.
>So don't go labeling us as drunken idiots who want to fight. There were
>probably a few of your friends down there who you wouldnt describe in that
>way.
>

Sorry if I've upset you there, I wasn't meaning to imply that the people at the party were "drunk/drugged idiots", but was talking generally. If you approach a partying group and they don't respond reasonably I would treat them as drunk/drugged idiots and walk away from a potentially volatile situation.

>And don't you live in town anyway?
So? I didn't realise that was a crime. I believe Simey and Wendy do too.

>
>Getting on your high horse and throwing around your unreasonable opinions
>whilst expecting reasonable outcomes is pretty hypocritical.
As I said, sorry if you thought I was giving an opinion on you and your friends. I wouldn't presume to.

shortman
4-Jan-2012
11:43:52 AM
For what it's worth Kieran is a chiller, just like all the mob who ran an awesome new years party.

alrob
4-Jan-2012
12:10:26 PM
On 4/01/2012 shortman wrote:
>For what it's worth Kieran is a chiller, just like all the mob who ran
>an awesome new years party.

Yeah I figured he is :)

All good Kieran. I know no offense was intended. Shit just got a little heated lol. It's always hard to make a point or put foward an opinon in a forum without the tone being misread somehow :)
Wendy
4-Jan-2012
1:23:13 PM

>
>>And don't you live in town anyway?
>So? I didn't realise that was a crime. I believe Simey and Wendy do too.
>

As does Al these days!
simey
4-Jan-2012
9:29:07 PM
On 4/01/2012 Mike Bee wrote:
>I'm happy to say that I welcomed in the new year in one of the best ways
>possible, in the tent, naked with a pretty girl! ;-)

Well I hope you didn't keep anyone awake with the noise you were making.

Out of interest, just how many people have been kept awake at Araps by rumpy pumpy?

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 43
There are 43 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints