Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
Author
Accepted route names that differ from the original

Eduardo Slabofvic
6-Jun-2011
4:28:27 PM
A great idea for a new thread that is fun and interesting for the whole family.

Give us some route names that are the accepted route name but is not the one given by the first ascentonists....... and leave the Nowra ones for that other thread.

Squeeky Springs at Girraween is my favorite

tmarsh
6-Jun-2011
8:02:58 PM
It's Nowra, but Aint' No Sunshine wasn't the original name...
Dave J
6-Jun-2011
9:13:30 PM
"Groovy" actually was supposed to be "Slackjaw"

Should the extension be retrospectively renamed "SlackTrain"?
SteveH
6-Jun-2011
9:40:15 PM
"97% Fat Free" at Bowens Creek, I believe was originally named "97% Fart Free" (if memory serves me correct, it was changed for publication in a guide book)

ajfclark
7-Jun-2011
9:25:43 AM
I seem to remember Robbie finding an old Argus that had Little Thor as Painted Heart or something similar.
spicelab
7-Jun-2011
12:30:10 PM
On 6/06/2011 SteveH wrote:
>"97% Fat Free" at Bowens Creek, I believe was originally named "97% Fart
>Free" (if memory serves me correct, it was changed for publication in a
>guide book)

As I was told at the time, "Fart" was actually a typo, perhaps resulting from projection on the author's behalf. Can't remember whether it was the original sportclimbing guidebook (the black and white one) or the one after where it first appeared.
maxdacat
7-Jun-2011
12:48:56 PM
How about The Eternity vs Yorkshire Crack?
satan
7-Jun-2011
12:52:08 PM
Not just route names. Town names. Deddick in Gippsland used to be called Dead Dick, cos that's what you had when you got there on horseback.

And don't start me on the German Towns.

On the climbing front. Sunny Gully (at Arapiles) first recorded ascent named it He Wouldn't Know A New Route If It Was Up Him (a reference to a local climber) but Louise didn't find that suitable and gave it the NAF name.
grangrump
7-Jun-2011
12:54:03 PM
The first (mini, solo) route at Booroomba was called 'Aitchison's Erection' but this was moderated to 'Aitchison's Needle'

hangdog
7-Jun-2011
12:57:45 PM
So it looks like you can change the names from the original whenever you want. Unless its a really clever in-joke and nobody but a few realise and get it.
gfdonc
7-Jun-2011
12:59:02 PM
Graham wanted to call "A Question of Ethics" (at You Yangs) "Back in Power" instead, 'cos Malcolm Fraser won the election the day before. I thought that was silly and ignored him.

ajfclark
7-Jun-2011
1:12:25 PM
On 7/06/2011 satan wrote:
>Not just route names. Town names. Deddick in Gippsland used to be called
>Dead Dick, cos that's what you had when you got there on horseback.

Weren't they trying to change the name of the Niggerheads?
Linze
7-Jun-2011
1:42:30 PM
On 7/06/2011 wm wrote:
>
>By the way the 2nd bolt on 97% is currently very loose. Recalling that
>the 3rd bolt fell out a few years ago the 1st, 4th and 5th don't inspire
>confidence either.

a few other bolts at bowens are also loose. (based on past experiences, a preemptive 'yes' i may rebolt one or two, but in my own time, as long as i am actually interested in the climb, and dont get heckled about it by fuchwits on chockstone)
rightarmbad
7-Jun-2011
2:24:01 PM
I wonder how many know the double
meaning to 'Squeaky springs'.
TonyB
8-Jun-2011
8:57:36 AM
How about all those routes in the guide "A", "B", "C" etc ... surely these should be renamed ?

Superstu
8-Jun-2011
9:21:19 AM
On 8/06/2011 TonyB wrote:
>How about all those routes in the guide "A", "B", "C" etc ... surely these
>should be renamed ?

My understanding is that these routes are where the guidebook editor has come across what is clearly a route (by the chalk, cleaning or bolts) but cannot find a route description anywhere. So they give it a letter and perhaps a grade if possible.

For the Sydney guide I'm taking the liberty of assigning new route names to these climbs, prefixed with the # character. My assumption is that if anybody really cares and they know the original route name or details, they will submit what they know for correction to the online guide and in the next print edition.

The only downside to this approach is it lends itself to lazy guidebook editing. Why bother chasing down people for route info when you can just make it up??
satan
8-Jun-2011
9:58:09 AM
Squeak was involved in a few name changes. If my memory serves me well (which is doesn't always) he tried to change Carrion Comfort to Forever Young or something and people ignored it.

And isn't there a route at Buffalo called , 'While you're down there Squeak?'

I seem to remember Don't Look Back at Buffalo was originally dubbed 3 Men and a Dyke. Which could be contrued as sexist and homophobic, if you don't take it completely literally.

Eduardo Slabofvic
8-Jun-2011
10:10:53 AM
There's a route at Kangaroo Point (I think) that was called Pussy Squat Dribble, but that was too much for the POMQs so its now referred to as PSD or some such namby pamby reference.

I wonder what they now call Blue Veined Custard Shooter?

ajfclark
8-Jun-2011
10:19:50 AM
Anatomically correct?

nmonteith
8-Jun-2011
10:36:46 AM
All the old classic names at Kangaroo Point still seem in circulation in the current print guide and online guidebooks. My fav name from that era is probably Bum Full of Fists.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
There are 22 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints