Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
cam cleaning
userfriendly
9-Mar-2008
6:04:17 PM
is there any house hold cleaner apart from RP7 that could be used to clean cams.

muki
9-Mar-2008
6:52:06 PM
Don't use RP7 or any other oily substance as it attracts dirt and forms an abrasive mud in the hard to get
at places where you don't want wear and tear, like your axles.
Instead use a spray on Teflon that dries in and sets after 12 hours, this gives a 6 to 12 month protection
for all surfaces (depending on use) and does not attract dust to the vital internal workings.
If you can't afford the spray on Teflon (It's not cheap) then consider some of the biking products that are
waxy and don't attract dust to the chains of bikes, there are many of these and they are cheap. BP
userfriendly
9-Mar-2008
8:39:01 PM
cheers muk. Tried looking for that teflon stuff but to no avail.
might just buy some of the metolius oil.. I alreay have a bit of dirt inside from the last time i used it i think.. but have'nt used it since the accident. would the metolius oil get the dirt out?
wyt91t
9-Mar-2008
10:39:24 PM
how about Inox

D.Lodge
10-Mar-2008
11:05:16 AM
I found just washing under hot water while working the cam will usually clean out most gunk then apply the lube (the biking ones are the ones i use) get rid of excess and enjoy.

foreverabumbly
10-Mar-2008
11:27:10 AM
Linolux, linolum - something like that anyway, - but its a waxy spray for bike chains, it works really well, but at the end of the day I use mr sheen, has the added bonus of giving your cams a nice lemon scent after.
citationx
10-Mar-2008
2:28:47 PM
I got a teflon-based spray for my bike bits from my local bike shop. it wasn't overly expensive, was around $25-30 for a pretty big (25-30cm tall) spray can of the stuff.
That's my two cents on obtaining teflon-based lubricant sprays.

pat
10-Mar-2008
3:33:43 PM
What about graphite powder? this isn't that expensive. What do people think?

dr_fil_good
11-Mar-2008
10:23:46 AM
i totally agree with using the mtb and bmx lube for camming devices - there's a reason why they use that waxy lube and it's cause it keeps the dirt out, it's water resistant, and it works bloody well. $8 at your local bike shop. $20 for the same stuff produced by BD in your climbing shop. You choose :)

deadbudgy
11-Mar-2008
1:01:35 PM
Anything made for mtb will be over priced and generally designed to keep you needing to buy more (ie. you will have to use heaps of it and it won't last long). If you want fancy lubes by it from a motorcycle shop. It is more often than not the same thing that is the latest and greatest in the mtb world but has been used for years on dirt bikes. I use silicon spray (from the hardware) to clean any gunk out and then lube with graphite (also from the hardware) once they are dry.
userfriendly
11-Mar-2008
6:58:18 PM
I did use the silicon spray but found that it didn't dry for ages.. might use the chain oil..

cheers yall

Rich
12-Mar-2008
8:11:33 PM
soap, hot water and a scrubbing brush to get out the dirt then silicon spray worked for me..

dougal
12-Mar-2008
9:02:19 PM
RP7 is great for about a week/attracting gunk/rotting slings/etc. I have found Mr Sheen to be pretty good and very cheap. Usu lasts a good 6 months but I'm a weekender.

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints