Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Tri Cams anyone?

andyR
12-Jan-2007
8:42:15 PM
Was climbing at araps last week with a friend who has had a lot of experience using tri cams. Funky looking little widgets, but she swears by them, in particular on pockets like those on the right Watchtower Face. BTW she is a VERY exeprienced climber... I've found TCUs work better than std. cams (rigis stem friends on my old rack) in these pockets. Anyway, I can't really recall climbing with partners using these funky little tri cam units and was wondering who else uses them? Hates them? Swears by them? Should I be lookig at getting a few for my rack?

muki
12-Jan-2007
9:42:15 PM
I used them all the time leading at shawungunks in new york.
I would recomend them to any one who wants bomber placements in pockets and shallow horizontals or
use them like any regular cam, just practice the placements at ground level, one handed.
Maybe get a fellow climber who has lots of experience with them show you how they work,eg your pal
Hmm tricams.... bomber pro
armyiain
12-Jan-2007
10:05:53 PM
the pink one is so, so handy. fits in places nothing else will, esp. Araps.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Jan-2007
12:02:48 AM
Although confusing, I think you are referring to tri-cam nuts rather than the three-cam SLCD units.
Based on this assumption, check the following threads where you will find heaps of information (if you follow the 3 pages of posts after the initial one on each).

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?ForumID=6&Action=Display&MessageID=1465&PagePos

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&MessageID=27215

IMO tri-cam nuts are great in the small to mid sizes.
I don't like the three cam SLCD's due to negative experiences I have had with them.

Eduardo Slabofvic
13-Jan-2007
11:19:44 AM
On 12/01/2007 andyR wrote:
I've found TCUs work better than std. cams (rigis stem friends on my old rack) in these pockets. Anyway,
I can't really recall climbing with partners using these funky little tri cam units and was wondering who else
uses them? Hates them? Swears by them? Should I be lookig at getting a few for my rack?

Are you talking about active camming devices that have three cams (TCU), or the triangle shaped "nuts"
on a sling (Tri-cam). As I had a bad experience with the particular brand of TCU I used to have and
immediately retired them and replaced them with the small camalots, whilst I use tri-cam all the time, and
find them excellent in horizontal placements.

If its TCU’s, then I’m sure they are generally fine, I don’t use them because I don’t like the trigger system
on most of the available brands. I like the trigger system on the camalots better.

If it’s tricams, then I recommend getting some, as they give you possibilities for placements where normal
wires wouldn’t work. I wouldn’t throw out my wires though.

andyR
17-Jan-2007
7:49:38 PM
I've found on this face sometimes the head of a four cam unit is too wide to fit in the pockets/slots, but a Metolius TCU will fit in just right. Mind you, i prefer the smaller sizes, 0, 1 and if it's any larger, prefer other cams.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints