Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Cutting rubber off dogbones
ericx
1-Apr-2014
2:02:15 PM
Does anyone cut the rubber from their quickdraws to add more freedom of movement to the bottom carabiner? Not an issue for clipping sport bolts, but the added movement in the dogbone could help prevent wires from wriggling loose. Perhaps a more important consideration than maintaining the bottom gate downwards.

shortman
1-Apr-2014
2:26:30 PM
I always get rid of that shit if they have 'em....but mainly that was becoz I was a beginner and didn't know what they were for, :)
anthonycuskelly
1-Apr-2014
2:43:32 PM
I chop them out so I can flip the bottom biner if need be.

sbm
1-Apr-2014
2:45:31 PM
I consider quickdraws to be aid and now only clip bolts with single carabiners. Those present at Barrenjoey on Saturday may have witnessed this new kind of ethics I am developing.

sbm
1-Apr-2014
3:28:06 PM
Seriously though, don't you guys worry about your rope side biners rotating into a sideways cross loaded position? My CAMP draws have no rubber bit and used to do this really badly until I added rubber Petzl Strings.

Snappy
1-Apr-2014
4:00:02 PM
On 1/04/2014 anthonycuskelly wrote:
>I chop them out so I can flip the bottom biner if need be.

When would you want to do that? I flip the top biner on the rare occasion, but I can't think of a situation where I wold want to flip the bottom one...?
anthonycuskelly
1-Apr-2014
4:10:48 PM
Snappy, I find trad placements seem to end up with the bottom biner not sitting quite right.

Snappy
1-Apr-2014
4:18:49 PM
On 1/04/2014 anthonycuskelly wrote:
>Snappy, I find trad placements seem to end up with the bottom biner not
>sitting quite right.

Bottom biner sitting across the end of a crack or something like that?

E. Wells
1-Apr-2014
5:56:14 PM
my trad draws are mostly extendable slings,80 or 120cm, if i am concerned about my gear staying in I extend them. All my other 'quickdraws' have rubber things and I like them. If your worried about gear coming out just extend your runner, or keep it short as a typical sport length if appropriate.

Drake
1-Apr-2014
5:59:35 PM
>>>... the added movement in the dogbone could help prevent wires from wriggling loose.

If you're worried about rope drag wiggling your wigglies, consider extending the placement with a sling (a so-called alpine draw). Quickdraws are designed with a fixed bottom biner to make it easier to clip the rope.
mikllaw
2-Apr-2014
7:40:32 AM
agreed, on trad most of my draws are replaced by slings. To a large extent, gear doesn't pull out, rope movement gets it out before your full weight can lock it in the placement.
martym
2-Apr-2014
10:34:05 AM
I consider Rubbers to be only 97% effective protection...

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints