Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Don't you hate it when---

Groveller
12-Oct-2013
9:15:30 PM
Went to Mt Beckwith today and spotted some booty on Afternoons.
It was a purple cam and try as hard as we could, we couldn't get it out.
Very let down( slight pun there) after spending 10 minutes trying to remove it.
Any suggestions?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12-Oct-2013
9:16:59 PM
On 12/10/2013 Groveller wrote:
>Went to Mt Beckwith today and spotted some booty on Afternoons.
>It was a purple cam and try as hard as we could, we couldn't get it out.
>Very let down( slight pun there) after spending 10 minutes trying to remove
>it.
>Any suggestions?

Spend longer.
Use tools/tricks.
There is more than one thread on Chocky telling about those, and a search* will find them...
;-)

(*Hint: Try looking at mikl's posts).

>Don't you hate it when---
... people don't give links.
Heh, heh, heh.
mr poo
12-Oct-2013
10:04:47 PM
Hi Groveller,

You made me so happy reading that, knowing someone else couldn't get it out makes me feel so much better. I got the cam (HB Quad Cam) stuck there last month and haven't had the time to go back and have another crack at it.
I tried for like an hour and couldn't get it to budge.

Did you get it to move at all?

cheers Poo

Groveller
13-Oct-2013
8:53:33 AM
Hi Poo,
I tried for about 10 minutes using nut key and fingers. Looked like it was going to come out but only moved a little. Then my daughter tried for about 5, she has smaller fingers, but I got sick of holding her there.
I reckon lots more people have tried to get it out.
Not long ago my daughter got a cam stuck while practicing at Bush Rangers Bluff. We were not on a rope and standing in a good position and it still took 20 minutes of swearing, hitting it with a rock and much name calling to get it out.
Great feeling when it does come out.
Groveller

spiinal
13-Oct-2013
9:29:55 AM
On 12/10/2013 Groveller wrote:
>Went to Mt Beckwith today and spotted some booty on Afternoons.
>It was a purple cam and try as hard as we could, we couldn't get it out.
>Very let down( slight pun there) after spending 10 minutes trying to remove
>it.
>Any suggestions?

Two weeks ago I too tried for 10 mins or so to get it out, and whilst it moved around a bit I obviously couldn't retrieve it.
mr poo
2-Nov-2013
5:11:54 PM
I went out to beckworth today, the cam is gone. Some lucky shunt has a new cam.

Parts of me would love to know how the hell they got the cam out and how long it took.
nvb
2-Nov-2013
6:33:55 PM
Don't worry, I had a crack at it forr 10 minutes and achieved nothing but having it walk-in further.

Groveller
3-Nov-2013
8:55:48 AM
Probably used dynamite.

grantoss
4-Nov-2013
8:40:11 AM
I got seriously schooled by a notorius chocky member on an araps trip earlier this year.... multiple cams I gave up on as never coming out only to have my partner lower down and silde them out in under 5 seconds!
Moral of the story is booty retrieval is almost a sport on its own!

Duang Daunk
4-Nov-2013
10:16:23 AM
On 4/11/2013 grantoss wrote:
>I got seriously schooled by a notorius chocky member on an araps trip earlier
>this year.... multiple cams I gave up on as never coming out only to have
>my partner lower down and silde them out in under 5 seconds!
>Moral of the story is booty retrieval is almost a sport on its own!

ODH is good at silde, but since when is being a financial tightarse a sport?

grantoss
4-Nov-2013
12:52:40 PM
I'm not into the ripping people off side of booty DD, more of a comment on the amazing gear extraction skills some climbers seem to have developed....

Drake
4-Nov-2013
1:02:09 PM
Just curious, did any of you guys try Mikl's technique? (as I remember it- sling both sides of the cam trigger with nuts, hang off the nuts with ~1/2 body weight, then smack the cam stem or lobes with a nut tool/hammer/rock). This method works really well at removing overcammed cams.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints