Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Major Breakthrough!!

wallwombat
14-Aug-2012
10:58:03 AM
This will certainly change things.

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Drink-Beer-Without-the-Bottle-20120813.html

Stoked!!
PDRM
14-Aug-2012
12:47:49 PM
You've been able to get dried/granulated wine for a while. It's truly horrible.

P

wallwombat
14-Aug-2012
4:32:42 PM
On 14/08/2012 PDRM wrote:
>You've been able to get dried/granulated wine for a while. It's truly horrible.
>
>P

That does sound horrible.

Actually, the idea of powdered beer sounds pretty horrible to me too.

And I like beer.
widewetandslippery
14-Aug-2012
5:28:08 PM
Is there powdered ethanol? Watered down with tang would be good.

wallwombat
14-Aug-2012
7:37:19 PM
On 14/08/2012 widewetandslippery wrote:
>Is there powdered ethanol? Watered down with tang would be good.

That's why I got rid of my Trangia.

Temptation.
widewetandslippery
14-Aug-2012
7:50:05 PM
and sniffing the msr bottle is so much more healthy.

I'm serious, is it possible to create a pure dehydrated alchohol?

wallwombat
14-Aug-2012
8:08:41 PM
>I'm serious, is it possible to create a pure dehydrated alchohol?

Obviously, you aren't asking me.

I'd have told you.
One Day Hero
14-Aug-2012
8:13:46 PM

Depending on what you mean, either; no, not really or, of course not you bloody idiot.
widewetandslippery
14-Aug-2012
9:50:09 PM
Have to stick to sniffing glue then :( gives me a headache.

salty crag
14-Aug-2012
10:07:15 PM
>and sniffing the msr bottle is so much more healthy.
>

Dealt with plenty of dehydrated alcoholics.
widewetandslippery
14-Aug-2012
11:04:38 PM
I only get dehydrated when I try to be healthy.
One Day Hero
14-Aug-2012
11:42:39 PM
Have thought about this a bit and realise I can give a proper answer.

Most of the "liquids" we deal with in daily life are actually solutions of things in water..........so I can see how one might come to assume that any liquid could be "dehydrated to produce a useful and portable solid"

Unfortunately this isn't always true.......and sometimes it's sort of half true. Alcohol (the version Wide is familiar with) is a mixture of water and ethanol with anywhere between 3%(shitty beer) and about 70%(obscure and vile spirits of eastern euro origin) ethanol content.

Pure ethanol is a liquid at normal temps, like petrol, olive oil, and a couple of other things you encounter from time to time, yet they contain no water, so there's nothing you can do to make it easier to carry. (don't go looking for absolute ethanol to drink anyway, as it probably contains traces of nasty chemicals which were used to strip the last of the water out).

Perhaps ironically, you can make water from ethanol by setting fire to it, but that sort of defeats the purpose :/
widewetandslippery
15-Aug-2012
12:36:47 AM
I know that.

How do I get caking agent or whatever into pior de williams (no vile wog 70 percenter) and have it powedered in a ziplock ready to go? Why wine, why harder with beer?
One Day Hero
15-Aug-2012
12:56:28 AM
But there's no point, all you'd be doing is carrying the caking agent around for no reason. Just carry the strongest spirits you can stomach in a plastic bottle, and tang......can't do any better than that, never will be able to.

My guess is that wine has less 'stuff' contributing to what you taste, and more sugar. So it's just less complicated to arrange enough things to make it taste 'like wine' which are easy to dehydrate. The ingredients have to be stable enough to not go off in the package, and be able to quickly re dissolve. Also, you don't have to worry about carbonating wine.

There are 14 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints