Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
fuel for trangia

jaebo
3-Jul-2011
9:37:13 AM
does it really matter if you don't use meths in a trangia?
is there possible benefits or not from using other fuels (shellite/kero etc...)?
Fish Boy
3-Jul-2011
10:44:12 AM
Use shellite and report back.
Paul
3-Jul-2011
10:50:01 AM
On 3/07/2011 jaebo wrote:
>does it really matter if you don't use meths in a trangia?
>is there possible benefits or not from using other fuels (shellite/kero
>etc...)?
>

Yes it does matter, It would seem that you haven't camped with any people who accidentily steal fuel from someones msr for their trangia.
PDRM
3-Jul-2011
11:53:14 AM
On 3/07/2011 Paul wrote:

>Yes it does matter, It would seem that you haven't camped with any people
>who accidentily steal fuel from someones msr for their trangia.

...are they the ones without eyebrows?

P
bumblybumbly11
3-Jul-2011
11:57:12 AM
bumbly!!!!!!!!!

Eduardo Slabofvic
3-Jul-2011
12:06:52 PM
I once tried mixing shelite and rubbing alcohol to see what would happen. I kept my eyebrows but had to stand well back
lacto
3-Jul-2011
12:18:46 PM
take advantage of the fuel tax rebate and buy a 20 litre drum of shellite @38.19 cents per litre rebate . Put in your trangia with the drum nearby and you will also save on burial /cremation costs .
Mike Bee
3-Jul-2011
12:54:19 PM
The size and shape of the Trangia burner and pot stands is optimised for metho size flames. Use shellite or unleaded and you'll get a helluva flame, but it will be very dirty and not be all that fun to control. It's pretty spectacular though :)

jaebo
3-Jul-2011
1:40:24 PM
cheers.

i just had left over shellite and wanted to use it :)

on another note, can i take a bottle of meths in checked luggage on domestic flight?
Paul
3-Jul-2011
2:42:22 PM
On 3/07/2011 PDRM wrote:
>On 3/07/2011 Paul wrote:
>
>>Yes it does matter, It would seem that you haven't camped with any people
>>who accidentily steal fuel from someones msr for their trangia.
>
>...are they the ones without eyebrows?
>
>P

Yes

jkane
3-Jul-2011
3:06:00 PM
>on another note, can i take a bottle of meths in checked luggage on domestic
>flight?

I'm pretty sure that's NOT allowed - just check your terms and conditions when you book. There's a list of dangerous goods that you are not allowed to pack and I'm pretty sure that flammable liquids is on there.

In theory meths should be easy to get anywhere in Australia. When I did the overland track in Tassie, we had to get the fuel when we arrived in Launceston. Spent a couple of hours wandering around trying to find a supermarket/servo or hardware store that wasn't sold out of meths! We eventually found this great old fashioned hardware store and they still had some. Wish I could remember the name of it.
PDRM
3-Jul-2011
4:02:30 PM
>cheers.
>
>i just had left over shellite and wanted to use it :)
>
>flight?

Should be fine as long as it's not in the same bag as your flares and matches. Just make sure that your Bowie knife doesn't puncture the bottle.

P

bw
3-Jul-2011
4:08:56 PM
>cheers.
>
>i just had left over shellite and wanted to use it :)
>
>flight?

a very definite no... even your empty fuel bottle needs attention before flight, see here for the wonders of dangerous goods...
pharmamatt
3-Jul-2011
5:09:41 PM
i'm not sure about taking metho on as hand luggage, but i was thinking about and why wouldn't you be able to take a 500ml bottle of metho on board, you can take a bottle of vodka on!

bw
3-Jul-2011
5:18:10 PM
On 3/07/2011 pharmamatt wrote:
>i'm not sure about taking metho on as hand luggage, but i was thinking
>about and why wouldn't you be able to take a 500ml bottle of metho on board,
>you can take a bottle of vodka on!

you can carry up to 5L (!) of an alcoholic beverage when in retail packaging provided it is not more than 70% abv.
earwig
4-Jul-2011
1:10:40 PM
But can you fuel a Trangia with Vodka?

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints