Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Cam in need of repair?
aaw
29-Dec-2009
11:04:12 PM
I've got a #2 WC Technical Friend, and after the weekend spent climbing has now developed an issue
where the cam lobes are mis-aligned by about 3 - 4mm i.e. if I'm looking at the cam without the trigger
pulled the edges of the lobes are offset. The issue lessens as the trigger is pulled but it's still not quite
right. Is this an issue? I've not had a chance to place the cam in anything to see if the cams are mis-
aligned when placed but I imagine at the range at which the cam is supposed to be used there would still
be even contact. Is there anywhere I can get this repaired if required?

wallwombat
29-Dec-2009
11:27:18 PM
I have a # 3 1/2 Forged Friend like that. It still works fine. I wouldn't worry.
patto
30-Dec-2009
1:17:42 AM
Its not broken. Just readjust the trigger wires.

..::- Chris -::..
30-Dec-2009
10:17:43 AM
If your really worried Araps Mountain shop fixes them, I've just had 2 done (trigger wires) and got them back good as new...

C.

wallwombat
30-Dec-2009
10:41:27 AM
I think he's talking about something like this, where the lobes are offset when the triggers aren't pulled. Adjusting the trigger wires does not help. I tried for ages on this 3.5 friend.

Besides the offset appearance, it still works perfectly when the triggers are pulled. It actually seems the problem is with the springs between the lobes on one side but as it still works I gave up worrying about it.
patto
30-Dec-2009
12:44:52 PM
On 30/12/2009 wallwombat wrote:
>I think he's talking about something like this, where the lobes are offset
>when the triggers aren't pulled. Adjusting the trigger wires does not help.
>I tried for ages on this 3.5 friend.
>
>
>
>Besides the offset appearance, it still works perfectly when the triggers
>are pulled. It actually seems the problem is with the springs between the
>lobes on one side but as it still works I gave up worrying about it.

The lobes are sprung to each other on a single axle cam. There is nothing apart from the trigger wire to orientate their rotation with respect to the shaft or the lobes on the other side of the shaft.

Adjusting the trigger wires most definately does help.

wallwombat
30-Dec-2009
1:51:31 PM
On 30/12/2009 patto wrote:

>Adjusting the trigger wires most definately does help.

OK. Your right.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Dec-2009
8:22:23 PM
It is no big deal if the offset is like the one in ww's photo. Simply grab a lobe in each hand and twist them so they pivot around the axle, till they are re-aligned again. I find some of mine end up requiring this after they have been over-stuffed into haul bags and copping some transit abuse enroute to the wall of choice...
aaw
30-Dec-2009
11:24:27 PM
pic below

I tried rotating the lobes to align them but after squeezing and releasing the trigger they go back to the
way they were....

wallwombat
31-Dec-2009
12:24:07 AM
Yeah, that's exactly like mine.
patto
31-Dec-2009
1:05:25 AM
On 30/12/2009 aaw wrote:
>pic below
>
>
>
>I tried rotating the lobes to align them but after squeezing and releasing
>the trigger they go back to the
>way they were....

Its not broken. The alignment makes no different to the opperation of the cam.

As said previously, the trigger wires are the only determinant of resting cam lobe position as they are free to rotate on their axle. Adjust the trigger wires and all will be well.

aaw
31-Dec-2009
9:23:49 AM
Thanks! Will do.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints