Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Australian outdoor cloth/material source

thylaxene
12-Nov-2009
5:01:53 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good source of by-the-metre outdoor cloth/material for example goretex, polartec,
waterproof canvas and even webbing in Australia?

There use to be a mob back in the early 90s, but no amount of googling finds anything, nor looking in the back of old
Rock and Wild mags.

Yes I know about all the US based ones, but hoping to buy and support local.

Cheers.
racingtadpole
12-Nov-2009
6:17:27 PM
Gore-tex and Polar-tec are not available in Australia, hasnt been available locally since some time in the latter half of the 90's. You will have to go off shore for commercial quantities. If you just want a few metres for prototyping you may be able to get some from MONT.
Keep in mind that you are prohibited from displaying the trademarked Gore-tex logo on clothing unless samples have been submitted to WL Gore and Assoc for assessment. If they approve of your design and application of material you will be granted a license to use the Gore-tex logo. This is quite a costly and time consuming process, but it has been very effective in ensuring that the material doesnt get a bad name because of manufacturers poor application of material.

Best of luck with the venture

thylaxene
12-Nov-2009
7:18:44 PM
Wow that's a shame about gore-tex and polar-tec.

But I guess I need to be more precise. I'm really after pack canvas and preferably waterproof canvas as I
need to replace the bed of my portaledge. Also love to make a new fly for it, so some sort of waterproof
fabric or tent fly material.

Any chance finding a local source for that? Or again offshore for it....

Cheers.

nmonteith
12-Nov-2009
7:38:40 PM
On 12/11/2009 racingtadpole wrote:
>This is quite
>a costly and time consuming process, but it has been very effective in
>ensuring that the material doesnt get a bad name because of manufacturers
>poor application of material.

They might want to have a quiet chat with a few million chinese about that situation. :-)
racingtadpole
12-Nov-2009
10:50:55 PM
Most automotive and marine trimmers should be able to help you with the the canvas. They will be able to sew it up for you also.
If you want to make a fly, I think I would be tempted to use ripstop, that can be had from Spotlight quite cheaply in a range of colours.
racingtadpole
12-Nov-2009
10:54:22 PM
On 12/11/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>They might want to have a quiet chat with a few million chinese about
>that situation. :-)

They do from time to time. It normally makes the papers...

thylaxene
13-Nov-2009
9:47:49 AM
Yes ripstop from spotlight I should've thought of that!

Cheers.

thylaxene
13-Nov-2009
10:36:00 AM
OK all,

thanks to PM from another member I got these details:

Recreational Fabrics
ph 03 53566309

Just rang them and getting a price list sent out with a sample card of the cordura they sell. They sound like they
have a fair bit of different materials including polartec, goretex, tent and other outdoor speciality fabrics.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers.

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints