Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
may interest winter climbers/skiers
mik
3-Jan-2011
9:41:58 AM
http://japantoday.com/category/national/view/4-men-killed-in-avalanche-at-tottori-ski-resort

4 patrollers killed in a slide in resort boundary.

Tragic and raises some interesting questions.
dmnz
9-Jan-2011
7:58:30 PM
well they weren't out skiing but rather doing patrol duties.

ie it didnt matter that it was in bounds to me, as after a fresh fall, esp in this case with an already suspect slope (v v recent avo activity). That's just media hype to me.

Still, a sad thing to have happen.

As an aside, reading the comments posted at the end of the article, what are people's thoughts on volunteer patrol vs paid patrollers at ski fields? I know both types and find that some of the volunteer patrols are 'learning on the job' and not technically qualified. While they are in the learning stage I think they should not have the ski patrol uniform on as they are not yet qualified (experienced patrollers helping out now and then are a different kettle of fush)
dmnz
9-Jan-2011
8:04:25 PM
Oh and mik, you keen for any winter trips this year? Read the topic name and thought it was a troll for ski/winter trips in May...doh!
mik
19-Jan-2011
12:18:10 PM
Hey Dom, yeaass i am always keen for winter trips. vic or nsw, alps, nz??

I am all good with volunteer ski patrollers, i used to be one. As long as they act within their reach/training. If you get a guernsey then you should be capable of doing what is required. Some resort conduct things really well, and it seems that they are generally much better now than 5-10 yrs ago.

evanbb
19-Jan-2011
12:40:15 PM
On 9/01/2011 dmnz wrote:
>As an aside, reading the comments posted at the end of the article, what
>are people's thoughts on volunteer patrol vs paid patrollers at ski fields?

It's an esoteric objection, but I worry about OH&S rights for volunteers. In Oz, if you are injured (or killed) at work, you and your family are entitled to Federally mandated compensation and support. Not sure if this would apply to volunteers.
mik
19-Jan-2011
2:17:21 PM
Hey Evan, the resort managements that run the ski patrol take their role very seriously with training and preparation of their volunteers. I imagine that employees rights and protections extend to volunteers. That is generally the way things run for emergency services etc.
dmnz
19-Jan-2011
7:41:32 PM
I'm only worried about the volunteers who are still training, not the volunteers who are obviously competent/qualified and only volunteering because of other commitments/personal reasons.

Mik, prob any/all of the above. Just been watching some youtube telemark footage down Feathertop. Do you free heel or AT?
mik
21-Jan-2011
11:39:07 AM
tele, but i am ok with people with alternate preferences, what do you slide on?. Feathertop is wicked, got smashed by serious storms on both trips their last year, loved it in a bivy on NE spur.
dmnz
28-Feb-2011
3:29:41 PM
well if you want to go back this year...

my current setup only has one touring trip on em so keen to keep tryin em out

tho i did get a set of the switchbacks from voile, just looking for a set of sticks to put them on...was thinking of the bd zealots but never made it to the states so still looking. if anyone has a pair of the 192s floating around...
maxdacat
28-Feb-2011
4:42:31 PM
Avalanche control in Chamonix and other parts of Europe are now equipped with ABS bags which from what i've heard is quite well received. Not sure if these guys were actually doing any control work but it would be interesting to know and if so could they have been better kitted out.

JamesMc
28-Feb-2011
6:22:00 PM
On 19/01/2011 evanbb wrote:
>It's an esoteric objection, but I worry about OH&S rights for volunteers.
>In Oz, if you are injured (or killed) at work, you and your family are
>entitled to Federally mandated compensation and support. Not sure if this
>would apply to volunteers.

For the voluntary stuff I do in Victoria, I have effectively the same health & safety insurance as the paid people.

JamesMc

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints