Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 93
Author
Climber hit by Lightning - Pierces Pass
DaveN
3-Jan-2011
8:41:03 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/teenage-climber-trapped-after--lightning-ordeal-20110103-19d7c.html

Dave

Butters81
3-Jan-2011
11:00:32 AM
Jeez climbing's going to get a bad name in the NSW papers!
Anyone know what climb he was on?

Butters81
3-Jan-2011
12:09:23 PM
Just tell them that climbers arn't keeping the emergency services busy like the people who built their houses on a flood plain...
brendan
3-Jan-2011
12:35:22 PM
On 3/01/2011 Sonic wrote:
>On 3/01/2011 Butters81 wrote:
>>Jeez climbing's going to get a bad name in the NSW papers!
>>Anyone know what climb he was on?
>
>Hotel California.
>
>They were on the fourth pitch at 8.30 pm - wtf! That means they still
>had at least 3-4 hours of climbing ahead of them and A major thunderstorm
>went through there a few hours previously and they still mustve got on
>the climb. I'd love to know what they were thinking!
>

maybe you should wait until the full story comes out before coming to the conclusion that they didnt know what they were doing, shouldnt have been climbing etc
Wollemi
3-Jan-2011
12:36:15 PM
Sonic; are you saying people who climb indoors give you a hard time because you climb outdoors?!
gfdonc
3-Jan-2011
12:39:31 PM
>
>Hotel California.
>

Eh .. isn't there a whole lot of new metal in there Mikl? Any statistics on the relative lightening-attracting properties of carrots vs U bolts?
Wollemi
3-Jan-2011
12:41:57 PM
Brendan; where do we go to for the 'full story'?
I had to read 2nd hand in bicycle.net.au that the bloke who was on Margarine Ridge broke his pelvis - which is only part of the story.
Isildur
3-Jan-2011
12:44:29 PM
The climbers in question are friends of mine, and while they're young, they're not just "Gym numptys" as you've put it Sonic. I know that they're reasonably good climbers, and were fairly well prepped for the climb. They've both had a fair amount of outdoor experience.

I don't know the full details yet, as I haven't heard from them since they called me last night at about 8:10pm, so I'm not going to comment and add speculation as to why they were still stuck on the climb so late, but I'm just glad that they're OK and able to get out sometime today when the weather lets up (although the system moving in now is pretty big).

I'm even more glad that they haven't been seriously injured or killed like the last two accidents in the previous week.

Sabu
3-Jan-2011
12:44:41 PM
>On 3/01/2011 Butters81 wrote:
>>Jeez climbing's going to get a bad name in the NSW papers!
>>Anyone know what climb he was on?
>
>Hotel California.
>

How about a bit of sympathy/concern? As far as we know they're still stuck up there, one of them with injuries. Leave the criticism at least until they're actually safe....
brendan
3-Jan-2011
12:48:56 PM
On 3/01/2011 Wollemi wrote:
>Brendan; where do we go to for the 'full story'?
>I had to read 2nd hand in bicycle.net.au that the bloke who was on Margarine
>Ridge broke his pelvis - which is only part of the story.

maybe they post something up here themselves like the grampians rescue? Or someone who knows more will post up details. Or even better maybe people could wildly speculate about what happened.
I know i would want people talking sh*t about me on a forum without know the full story wouldnt you?
Duncan
3-Jan-2011
12:52:31 PM
Looking at BOM, it looks like it's pretty cold up there at the moment too.
mik
3-Jan-2011
12:58:35 PM
Gutsy kids, having a go at improving their real climbing on a real cliff then pushing on after lightening strike.

This is the next generation of climbers that we need, give them a friggin medal then send back to their high schools and tell their mates that life is there to be lived.

If we have a criticism, then maybe we should get off our keyboards, get onto the rock and help them off the cliff and then run some workshops and show them how we learnt from our mistakes.
Duncan
3-Jan-2011
1:05:19 PM
On 3/01/2011 mik wrote:
>life is there to be lived.

Unless you go out climbing in a storm, get hit by lightning and die. Just sayin'.
One Day Hero
3-Jan-2011
1:12:49 PM
>

Maybe they were thinking "Let's go to the Grose and toughen up a bit, we'll never be hard enough for the real mountains if we don't go out in australian marginal conditions.........after all, I'd hate to end up like that pussy Sonic......posing around in the gym, pretending to be a 'professional', scared of the dark and scared to step outside if there's a 5% chance of rain"
>
>Im already being told we are a pain in the ass by the general public and
>I'm getting sick of it to be honest - especially when I work in the industry.

So, here's my understanding of your process;

Step 1) get into climbing cause its fun and exciting and rebellious

Step 2) get job in climbing industry owing to lack of imagination

Step 3) mistake one's self for a professional

Step 4) get all shitty because young guys having fun, getting excited, and being rebellious are jeopardising your "career"

Step 5) get online and be a wanker

If those dudes wanna go out and epic in the Grose and get zapped, that's their own business. If you somehow got yourself into a position where those dudes' epic affects you, thats your fault and your problem!

Hope the kid who got barbequed isn't scorched too bad, heals quick, and gets back to cool epics shortly
Isildur
3-Jan-2011
1:17:50 PM
Seeing what the weather was doing yesterday, it changes so bloody quickly, especially when 300m+ of climbing is involved. In the morning it was nice & sunny, and then the storms rolled through. They were probably half way up before the storm hit them.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother saying any more until I hear from my friend when he finally makes it out and home.

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate.
Wollemi
3-Jan-2011
1:20:48 PM
On 3/01/2011 brendan wrote:
>On 3/01/2011 Wollemi wrote:
>>Brendan; where do we go to for the 'full story'?
>>I had to read 2nd hand in bicycle.net.au that the bloke who was on Margarine
>>Ridge broke his pelvis - which is only part of the story.
>
>
>maybe they post something up here themselves like the grampians rescue?
>Or someone who knows more will post up details. Or even better maybe people
>could wildly speculate about what happened.
>I know i would want people talking sh*t about me on a forum without know
>the full story wouldnt you?

"I know i would[n't] want people talking about me on a forum without know the full story wouldnt you?"

Not sure... what would the likes of Joe Simpson/Aron Ralston/Andrew McAuley/Jessica Watson think? Makes no difference to the end result? Water off a ducks back in the grand scheme of things? An experience to be shared so that others know how to deal with such scenarios?
brendan
3-Jan-2011
1:28:54 PM
On 3/01/2011 Wollemi wrote:
>"I know i would[n't] want people talking about me on a forum without know
>the full story wouldnt you?"
>
>Not sure... what would the likes of Joe Simpson/Aron Ralston/Andrew McAuley/Jessica
>Watson think? Makes no difference to the end result? Water off a ducks
>back in the grand scheme of things? An experience to be shared so that
>others know how to deal with such scenarios?

yeap its true, people relaying there experiences and mistakes have helped me to be a better climber and safer too.
People talking sh*t on a climbing forum about an incident they know little to nothing about is less helpful to the climbing community,
Isildur
3-Jan-2011
1:52:09 PM
Word is that they're walking out now - chopper rescue still not doable due to weather. Still 2 hours or so from the top, but on their way to safety.

I would like to extend my thanks to all of the rescue services involved in this particular rescue, and also to everyone who volunteers for these efforts.

rodw
3-Jan-2011
2:15:13 PM
I rarely agree with ODH but on this one hes spot on...creeds to the kids having ago...I've been at shipley on a fine day with a storm roll in and have my gear buzz while lowering off, bit hard to do much when ya several picthes off the deck...shit happens......give em a break and stop acting like a bunch of know all wankers.

Glad to hear they are okay
rockotter
3-Jan-2011
2:18:20 PM
Hey Sonic think you misread the newspaper it said they were reached by the rescue team at 8.30 pm, five hours after they had contacted authorities. Ample time for a capable team to finish the route.

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 93
There are 93 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints