Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Lump in finger?
plugngo
9-Jun-2009
1:52:15 PM
Hi,

My finger has felt a little "tweaky" (though not really hurting) since going a bit hard campusing a couple of weeks ago, so while climbing over the long weekend I decided to take it a bit easy on the crimps. That plan didn't really work and I woke up this morning with a pea sized lump just above the first knuckle on the topside of my ring finger. It doesn't hurt at all, though looks pretty bizarre.

Anyone had this before or know what it could be?

gordoste
9-Jun-2009
1:56:41 PM
Stop using that finger. It will take a few weeks to go away, but at least you won't permanently injure yourself. On the positive side, your other fingers will get heaps stronger.
psd
9-Jun-2009
2:00:31 PM
Could be a ganglion cyst?
widewetandslippery
9-Jun-2009
2:29:33 PM
By topside you mean the side opposite to your palm? Is the lump from the unerside and spread around the finger or isolated on top? If you have a lump on the top of your finger away from the joint I'd see a doctor asap as there is no conective tissue there. It could be broken or you could have cancer.
plugngo
9-Jun-2009
3:04:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I do mean the opposite side to my palm. Don't think it's broken as it feels fine, cancer springing up overnight seems a bit extreme though!

I guess it's just a rupture of something? Prob should head to the doc. A finger injury is NOT what I want at this time of year!

Eduardo Slabofvic
9-Jun-2009
3:17:58 PM
Stop putting your finger in your ring.
psd
9-Jun-2009
4:55:35 PM
On 9/06/2009 plugngo wrote:
>Thanks for the replies.
>I guess it's just a rupture of something? Prob should head to the doc.
>A finger injury is NOT what I want at this time of year!

-sigh-

Seriously - google "ganglion cysts" and check them out maybe I'm totally off but it sounds just like one.
plugngo
9-Jun-2009
5:26:28 PM
On 9/06/2009 psd wrote:
>
>Seriously - google "ganglion cysts" and check them out maybe I'm totally
>off but it sounds just like one.

Thanks, looks like you might be right.
citationx
10-Jun-2009
7:42:58 PM
A friend of mine lost footing on a slab while still clinging onto a crimp for dear life two weekends ago. In the process of her middle finger taking all of her weight in a shockload, she apparently tore a ligament (though i've not really looked at ligament distribution in fingers/fingertips - but hey, i'm no doctor!) and a resultant "knob" thing is on the outside, just above her last knuckle.
The only thing about this is there was pain....

Paulie
11-Jun-2009
11:25:15 AM
I have exactly the same thing in exactly the same place, and yes it is a harmless Ganglion cyst, it's kind of cool too coz you can push it back in and it goes away like some sort of henious parasite...great dinner conversation, especially if you've recently been to Africa! :-)

Good info here:
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcArticles.nsf/pages/Cysts_ganglion_cysts?OpenDocument

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints