Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Tie knots in the ends of your ropes
kieranl
7-Mar-2018
8:07:06 AM
Just been listening to the story of another climber severely injured after being lowered off the end of the rope.

Please knot the ground end of your rope when climbing, even when you know you have oodles of rope. And knot both rope-ends when abseiling (together or separate, your choice, both have pros and cons).

Things go wrong, even with experienced climbers on familiar ground in perfect weather. One experienced guide told me that he felt on top of his game before a person abseiled off the end of a rope that he'd set and checked.

I've heard people say "I'll tie a knot if I'm in doubt" but the accidents I know of occurred when people weren't in doubt in familiar areas. Everyone makes mistakes.

If we make a habit of tying knots in rope-ends then we're likely to have a knot there on the day that we need it.
mikllaw
7-Mar-2018
11:08:04 AM
Yes!
And which knot? I've found overhands and F8s coming loose so now use a half fishermans.

Ashley Book of knots 1415, Grapevine or Double English. Double overhand
http://www.bsatroop795.org/knots/doubleoverhand/index.html

How do we post images?
dalai
7-Mar-2018
11:16:30 AM
Posting images information

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Help&Topic=AddingPics
mikllaw
7-Mar-2018
12:45:02 PM
None of the images I want to post are hosted elsewhere, much more convenient to upload to Chockstone
dalai
7-Mar-2018
6:42:11 PM
Don't know if the photo upload still works since the move to a different server by Mike.

I use tinypic to upload photos for posts.
mikllaw
8-Mar-2018
5:26:15 AM
On 7-Mar-2018 dalai wrote:

>I use tinypic to upload photos for posts.
Thanks that worked!
gfdonc
8-Mar-2018
6:33:38 AM
On 7-Mar-2018 mikllaw wrote:
>And which knot? I've found overhands and F8s coming loose so now use a
>half fishermans.

Yes a F8 flapped loose on me in the wind in the Grampians years ago, so now I always use half a double-fishermans (also generally known as a stopper knot).
Jayford4321
8-Mar-2018
9:10:07 AM
Tha best stoppa knot is tha one handed bowline , because it can be tied 1 handed blindfold in tha dark an has added benefit of creates an end loop 2 stand in if Ur rap finishes in a ovahang.
mikllaw
8-Mar-2018
11:32:35 AM
On 8-Mar-2018 gnaguts wrote:
>Tha best stoppa knot is tha one handed bowline , because it can be tied
>1 handed blindfold in tha dark an has added benefit of creates an end loop
>2 stand in if Ur rap finishes in a ovahang.
True
Martym
8-Mar-2018
9:30:02 PM
On 7-Mar-2018 kieranl wrote:
>Just been listening to the story of another climber severely injured after
>being lowered off the end of the rope.

What was the story?

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints