Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
Author
An 'abseiling accident' on the CBA in Melb?
gnarly_rider
20-May-2015
1:03:45 PM
Article suggest the protestors were 'abseiling' but the picture doesn't convey this?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/protester-falls-from-roof-of-commonwealth-bank-in-melbournes-cbd-20150520-gh5pl9.html
patto
20-May-2015
2:43:30 PM
This picture does:

From the Feralhun
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/abseiling-protester-hurt-after-falling-from-melbourne-cbd-building/story-fni0fee2-1227361263719

Most likely a prussik failure... Either when ascending or while on rappel. Two prussiks indicate he was ascending at the time. The prussiks being at the bottom indicate they slid down with the person.
martym
20-May-2015
3:23:01 PM
I wonder if the staff at the bank came to help him?
gnarly_rider
20-May-2015
4:02:03 PM
"I wonder if the staff at the bank came to help him? "

Based on the Feralhun's readers' comments, you'd be excused for thinking that the majority of the population more than likely wanted to hang him with his own rope......
OozeDumbHopeless
20-May-2015
4:26:25 PM
Ironic that this nutty coal protestor should fall on rope made from coal.
Dave_S
20-May-2015
5:31:33 PM
On 20/05/2015 patto wrote:
>The prussiks being
>at the bottom indicate they slid down with the person.

Not necessarily. The rope itself might not have been securely anchored.

Miguel75
20-May-2015
5:47:34 PM
In the immortal words of Seņor Gump; Stupid is as stupid does.
Old_Man
25-May-2015
7:12:06 PM
Curious - most c/s threads show sympathy to people reported to have been injured from climbing & abseiling accidents. Apparently this only applies to people pursuing their own self-interested amusement, not to those motivated by concern for the environment.

gordoste
25-May-2015
9:27:10 PM
On 25/05/2015 Old_Man wrote:
>Curious - most c/s threads show sympathy to people reported to have been
>injured from climbing & abseiling accidents. Apparently this only applies
>to people pursuing their own self-interested amusement, not to those motivated
>by concern for the environment.

I think the issue is with the means, not the end.

Miguel75
26-May-2015
6:04:31 AM
I'm not a fan of anyone getting hurt though have very little patience/empathy for people who put others in harms way via their actions; pedestrians beneath their planned protest site, emergency services personal etc. I'm not sure of their skill level/competence though for one protester to fall and another to be left clinging to the side of a building waiting for someone to rescue them says to me they had no right to be there protesting the way they did.

I'm all for protesting a good cause but not when your ill prepared (though heartfelt) demonstration exposes people to unnecessary risk.
dan_b
26-May-2015
10:17:13 AM
I'm not sure
>of their skill level/competence though for one protester to fall and another
>to be left clinging to the side of a building waiting for someone to rescue
>them says to me they had no right to be there protesting the way they did.

Bloody gym protesters.
Reluctant
26-May-2015
2:49:00 PM
Whatever happened to real protesting to get media attention. Old standards like turning over cars and throwing things at police. But no. Pointless hanging off buildings with banners. If you know what you're doing. Yawn.
Might save the world but kill us all with boredom. Surprised there wasn't a circle of flowers in which to sing kumbya.

Miguel75
26-May-2015
5:07:06 PM
On 26/05/2015 dan_b wrote:
>Bloody gym protesters.

Too right! As reluctant mentioned, protestors lack commitment and I reckon it all boils down to the gym. Case in point; self immolation as an effective method of protest has declined markedly and I believe any research to determine why would show a clear correlation to an increased number of gyms...

One Day Hero
26-May-2015
7:02:11 PM
On 26/05/2015 Miguel75 wrote:
>Case in point; self immolation as an effective
>method of protest has declined markedly

Maybe they're training too hard and cooking themselves before game day arrives?
Reluctant
26-May-2015
7:47:33 PM
I often ask araps Fire twirlers doing their thing next to my tent at midnight to do the "Buddist Monk". The blank look I get. Or is it because I'm standing there in my undies foaming at the mouth. (I would have turned a car over in protest but at araps who'd care)

ajfclark
26-May-2015
7:55:04 PM
What does that rhyme with? Harry Monk is spunk? Maybe they give you blank looks because you're using slang that no one understands.
Ithomas
26-May-2015
8:13:36 PM
I reckon Reluctant has been pullin' the puddin' and fantasising about what he would like to do at demonstrations, but sadly, has never had the opportunity. He appears to have been born about 1980 and so must have missed out on nearly all of the historically big or violent demonstrations in Australia, unless of course his parents carried him in a backpack. Good on the people who had the guts to protest about a particularly nasty industry and bad luck that there was an accident.
Ian

Zebedee
26-May-2015
9:39:05 PM
On 26/05/2015 ajfclark wrote:
>What does that rhyme with? Harry Monk is spunk?
not rhyming slang actual monks set themselves on fire in protest during the Vietnam War, though perhaps you knew that and just wanted to type spunk

ajfclark
26-May-2015
10:18:39 PM
I think being more direct and asking them to "go die in a fire" would cause less confusion.

ambyeok
27-May-2015
12:42:48 PM
Look guys can we stay on track please. An accident has occurred and we need to understand exactly what happened so we can avoid making the same mistakes ourselves. I am planning an abseiling protest this weekend followed by several more nearer the end of next month and I don't want to get caught out. By the way, does anyone have a giant inflatable penis I can borrow?

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
There are 27 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints