HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Topic Date User
Marty Schmidt and Denali Schmidt killed on K2 29-Jul-2013 At 7:00:14 PM Damien Gildea
Yep, terrible news. I first met Marty at the bottom of the fixed ropes on Denali over a decade ago. He heard the Australian accents of me and my partner and struck up a conversation. He'd been living up the north coast of NSW while also guiding overseas. He'd done so much even back then, and yet was hiding away up near Coffs Harbour. I was just thinking "who the f--- IS this guy?".

Marty's climbing experience stretched back to Yosemite in the 1970s and also time in the US military as a para-jump rescue guy. He spent some seasons on Everest guiding and supporting and was involved in trying to save Australian climber Mike Rheinberger in 1994, from which only Mark Whetu survived. Marty had attempted K2 twice before, on one occasion soloing to over 8000m on the north ridge. He climbed Kanchenjunga in a small team, no O2 and then in the last few years strung together more successful 8000er ascents. His feat on Makalu, where he rescued TWO Ukrainian climbers early in the morning then went on to summit alone right afterwards should have got him a medal. Those dudes would have been dead. Straight up, Marty was one of the strongest high altitude climbers in the world today.

I hung out with Marty a couple of times in Antarctica and he was always the most psyched guy in the camp. He was really supportive of less experienced climbers and always happy to help out. His strength and energy on and off the mountain was amazing for anybody, let alone a guy in his 50s. He also gave good neck rubs.

Can't say RIP. Marty didn't rest.

There are 4 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints