Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Climbing Videos

Post links and comments about your favourite climbing flicks

Author
Alex Honnold and Peter Croft - Risk and Reward

ajfclark
17-Dec-2013
9:21:38 AM

Peter Croft is a legend and pioneer of free soloing, the much-storied pursuit of climbing without a rope. Peter carved his name into the history books in Yosemite and has been a hero figure for so many, including world-renowned free soloist, 28-year old Alex Honnold. Alex and Peter will give a glimpse into what they do, why they do it and what's next in the world of free soloing. 
The North Face Speaker Series is presented by Gore-Tex
 and sponsored by Primaloft
 and Outside

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Dec-2013
11:34:19 AM
Blerrie blerrie excellent!
(Thanks for posting that up ajf).

The vid takes a little while to load/start up, but is one of the more captivating things I have ever seen regarding climbing.

In some ways it doesn't satisfy the intrinsic answering of the questions as to why, etc, but this is because as Peter and Alex point out, the whole experience and everything associated with it is personal, so the answers are equally varied on that personal basis.

I was particularly intrigued by the comments of onsight soloing vs pre-inspected soloing, vs soloing for the media after the event.
I found it a particularly strong statement (by Alex), that "Having a (media) person on a rope nearby fundamentally changes the experience." ... "Knowing at any time that you can stop and say, hey throw me a rope, changes things."
(This has parallels with the perennial bolting arguments within climbing!)

It was an eye opener to me too, that they evolved in their soloing from stuff well within their ability, into solos of greater difficulty, and that they regarded onsight as much harder and the pinnacle of adventure/reward.

Another eye opener was that their mentality is not of psyching up or overcoming fear and doubt, but more that the aesthetic of the line is such a magnet to them, that everything within them yearns to climb it, and so it is difficult to hold back from doing so.

It is something that I will re-watch again from time to time...

Eduardo Slabofvic
17-Dec-2013
1:32:40 PM
On 17/12/2013 ajfclark wrote:
>The North Face Speaker Series is presented by Gore-Tex

>and sponsored by Primaloft
 and Outside

.... and ajfclark.spam.au
rolsen1
17-Dec-2013
2:56:45 PM
Really enjoyed the video (when I should've been doing other stuff) thanks!

ajfclark
17-Dec-2013
3:15:45 PM
Sorry Edwardo, I didn't actually read that little snippet, just copied the text description from the site as an intro the the video.
kieranl
17-Dec-2013
4:03:57 PM
On 17/12/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>I found it a particularly strong statement (by Alex), that "Having
>a (media) person on a rope nearby fundamentally changes the experience."
>... "Knowing at any time that you can stop and say, hey throw me a rope,
>changes things."

>(This has parallels with the perennial bolting arguments within climbing!)
Is this the parallel where you have someone with a power drill on a rope nearby who can place a bolt for you if you need one?
dave1962
17-Dec-2013
4:53:24 PM
awesome, really enjoyed the interview. cheers for that ajf

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Dec-2013
9:32:18 PM
On 17/12/2013 kieranl wrote:
>On 17/12/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>>(This has parallels with the perennial bolting arguments within climbing!)
>Is this the parallel where you have someone with a power drill on a rope
>nearby who can place a bolt for you if you need one?
>
☺ I smiled at that as I see where you are coming from, however no, more to do with bolts fundamentally changing the experience, particularly when retro's/overbolting/bolting of trad placements, etc., etc.; but we digress, and I won't hijack the thread further.

In fact to get back on topic Peter amazed Alex by telling him of 'two week old bolts' that fell out on him when he used them, this in relation to Alex relying totally on bolts for one of his big wall solos where he clipped daisies to them for progress.
Alex's response of "Live and learn", was priceless!!
climberman
17-Dec-2013
9:46:36 PM
Great find, thanks for linking.
martym
18-Dec-2013
10:31:17 AM
On 17/12/2013 kieranl wrote:
>>(This has parallels with the perennial bolting arguments within climbing!)
>Is this the parallel where you have someone with a power drill on a rope
>nearby who can place a bolt for you if you need one?

I remember being at Point Perp and a guy had this big industrial red box; I asked if it was some kind of first aid kit... he said "Yeah, get scared you just drill a hole and glue yourself to the wall"

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints