Chockstone Forum - Climbing Videos

Post links and comments about your favourite climbing flicks

Author
Shandy - Blue Mountains Helmet Cam
Gluey
20-Apr-2012
7:38:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Just thougth I'd share it cause I know there isn't a huge amount of information. A video is worth a few more words then a photo.

http://vimeo.com/40708795

Pat
20-Apr-2012
8:27:32 PM
Are you using a single rope and how many pitches at what grade to get back out?

Sonic
22-Apr-2012
2:21:34 PM
It looks like they went up Shandy to get out which is 3 pitches at grade 8

nmonteith
22-Apr-2012
2:43:34 PM
I really enjoyed this video - cool perspective of that area. Thanks for sharing.

kuu
22-Apr-2012
4:19:31 PM
Where is this "Shandy" located relative to the original "Shandy" climb?

Is this the name now given to the largely subterranean roped descent sometimes described as the Boar's Head abseil route?
Gluey
22-Apr-2012
6:07:25 PM
It was 4 abseils down with a couple of traverses to get to the start of what is "Shandy" (My apologies for the misnaming, will change thread title). It is within the Blue Mountains guide on Pg. 48. There was some discussion about the abseil in THIS THREAD a while ago (spurring us to go and check it out).

Oddly, after checking the description in the guide, it was I think only about 28m for the First pitch to a small ledge to belay, then about 15 to a corner belay station then a bit of a scramble over a ledge. I'll have to go back and check.

I know Adrian ("Batey") was keen to do a Trip Report so he may be able to give a little more information about it then I, but I thought this video may shed a little light and create a bit of interest.

Edit: Pat, we used a single rope on the decent and used double on the way up (I thought it was unnecessary but Adrian was keen to give his new rope a whirl)

Sonic
22-Apr-2012
6:18:52 PM
Is Shandy on rings these days? I thought it was a trad route. I only remember Dirty Rotten Pig and that is awesome for the position.

Also, I don't think that abseil really needs advertising. The commercial companies have flogged it over the years. The top escape pitch up the first abseil is bloody slick these days from it. I thought it was harder than the grade 19 pitches on DRP when I done it a couple of years back, so it has to be worse now.

Sonic
22-Apr-2012
6:26:18 PM
Ok - after looking at that other thread it looks like somebody went and bolted the snot out of the Shandy wall for an escape route for the commercial absquealers before the area was advertised in the guide. That bolted route isn't Shandy, hence why the route description in the guide doesn't match the little description you gave us.
Mr Poopypants
23-Apr-2012
12:16:13 AM
On 22/04/2012 kuu wrote:
>Where is this "Old Shandy" located relative to the original "Shandy" climb?
>
>Is this the name now given to the largely subterranean roped descent sometimes
>described as the Boar's Head abseil route?

Hey Kuu - I guess it depends on who is climbing it!! :=)

Always been a bit mystified by the name - couldn't imagine the Rhum Dhu drinking Shandies!! Still keen for a Shandy date, pick a time?

Cheers
G.

kuu
23-Apr-2012
3:21:07 PM
On 23/04/2012 Mr Poopypants wrote:
>
>Always been a bit mystified by the name - couldn't imagine the Rhum Dhu
>drinking Shandies!! Still keen for a Shandy date, pick a time?
>
>Cheers
>G.

I guess the Rhum Dhu guys named their climbs according to a theme already applying in the area or maybe as a consequence of recent events in the pub (or elsewhere).

"Shandy" was perhaps seen as being less than 'full strength' and therefore not worthy of a serious Rhum Dhu name?

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints