Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: "Vario Speed Harness" Classic. One side fits all. Large (pre-threaded) quick-adjsut buckles. Wide nylon webbing. (Recommended for Gym use) SUPER SPECIAL!!!  $59.00
26% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Climbing Videos

Post links and comments about your favourite climbing flicks

Author
Dean Potter
widewetandslippery
7/02/2012
9:27:48 AM
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/national-geographic-channel/extras/explorer-2/ngc-filming-the-free-solo-climb/

someone with a brain can move this to the videos thread
dalai
30/03/2012
10:12:43 AM
Not video - but free to air TV

Channel 7 - tonight 30/03 11pm Melbourne. 11.15pm Sydney Dean Potter Daredevils - The Skywalker

"Dean Potter is a unique breed of daredevil. A world-renowned base jumper and free solo climber, Dean is the only person in the world practising extreme slack lining - a hair-raising variation of tightrope walking"

nmonteith
30/03/2012
10:15:37 AM
On 30/03/2012 dalai wrote:
>"Dean Potter is a unique breed of daredevil. A world-renowned base jumper
>and free solo climber, Dean is the only person in the world practising
>extreme slack lining - a hair-raising variation of tightrope walking"

Errr - no. He certainly isn't the only one!
Olbert
30/03/2012
10:37:27 AM
Took me a while of searching before I found that he didnt actually free solo Freerider...well, not all of it. He free soloed the top quarter after descending down the top bit via some other route.
widewetandslippery
30/03/2012
10:39:03 AM
Cool.

7 had a Jeb base jumping show on last night.
dalai
30/03/2012
11:17:25 AM
On 30/03/2012 nmonteith wrote:
>Errr - no. He certainly isn't the only one!

Just quoted the TV guide blurb...

phillipivan
30/03/2012
12:54:03 PM
Every single time I see his name in a thread title I expect it to be a death notice; I can't be the only one.
One Day Hero
30/03/2012
1:27:23 PM
On 30/03/2012 phillipivan wrote:
>Every single time I see his name in a thread title I expect it to be a
>death notice

Every time I see his name, I expect some self promoting crap with blatently faked 'drama' scripted in. That, and lame attempts at deep introspection, which instead comes out as stoner shit-talk.

evanbb
30/03/2012
1:43:00 PM
On 30/03/2012 phillipivan wrote:
>Every single time I see his name in a thread title I expect it to be a
>death notice; I can't be the only one.

Same. I was about to post the same thing.
widewetandslippery
30/03/2012
2:03:09 PM
yeah I think he talks shit too but was a good cook at Petes and really do YOU have the sack for what he does? You dont like it fair enough but the oh he will die shit, for goodness sake, so will you.
hipdos
30/03/2012
2:31:28 PM
On 30/03/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Every time I see his name, I expect some self promoting crap with blatently
>faked 'drama' scripted in. That, and lame attempts at deep introspection,
>which instead comes out as stoner shit-talk.

So One Day Hardman are you saying he is a pussy?
One Day Hero
30/03/2012
2:53:31 PM
On 30/03/2012 hipdos wrote:
>So One Day Hardman are you saying he is a pussy?

No, he's a fuching hardcore climber............but he's also a hardcore self-promoting seppo, who markets his bullshit spirituallity and vertical stunts in a fashion which shits me.

I liked that Swiss guy who was trying to do Cobra Crack. He performed his self promotion tounge in cheek, and his spirituality with a sense of humour.........then quit climbing to go live at a monastery!

Real deal vs. B-grade actor. Both great climbers, but so what?..............this is my general take on the U.S., if you're good at something they let you get away with being full of shit.

Sabu
30/03/2012
4:57:26 PM
On 30/03/2012 evanbb wrote:
>On 30/03/2012 phillipivan wrote:
>>Every single time I see his name in a thread title I expect it to be
>a
>>death notice; I can't be the only one.
>
>Same. I was about to post the same thing.

Yep same here.
crazyjohn
30/03/2012
8:58:40 PM
On 30/03/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>On 30/03/2012 hipdos wrote:
>>So One Day Hardman are you saying he is a pussy?

> he's also a hardcore
>self-promoting seppo, who markets his bullshit spirituallity and vertical
>stunts in a fashion which shits me.

>I liked that Swiss guy who was trying to do Cobra Crack. He performed
>his

>Real deal vs. B-grade actor.

>ery time I see his name, I expect some self promoting crap with blatently faked 'drama' >scripted in.

The way you describe this is as if your watching a TV soap opera and picking your favorite characters instead of actually being a rock climber playing the game. I give you that 'the industry' is 'marketing' climbing with some of these bigger production movies and TV series that try (sometimes painfully so) to hype EXTREME climbing up for the lard-ass general public. Well that pays the bills. Dean's got a spiritual side, and maybe it comes off wanky because of of production values. So hes not the Dalai Lama. So what?

We are all self-promoters. Youve put out a few videos, Ive seen em. So have I. http://www.cjclimbs.blogspot.com.au ;)
The difference between mine and your "shameless" self-promotion is that we suck and have no audience, but Dean makes shitloads and is known world-wide. Your complaint marks you as a consumer! Your making a weird circular argument... All Im saying is dont judge the video quality of the dude. The world is more than this mediated bullshit TV/MOVIE/INTERNET
Damo666
30/03/2012
9:22:49 PM
On 30/03/2012 crazyjohn wrote:
>Dean's got a spiritual side, and maybe it comes off wanky
>because of of production values. So hes not the Dalai Lama. So what?

So he used that dime-store pop psychobabble to justify what he did on Delicate Arch, for a start. It's painful to watch, a grown man talk idiotic drivel like that. He was selfish, stupid, he fuct up. I could never work out if he was too arrogant to admit it, or too stupid to realise what he was doing. Or both.

>All Im saying is dont judge the video quality of the dude.

Nah. He's a big boy, he's got some control over what he does. Pro climbers blaming 'the media' for how they're portrayed is crap. It's usually their excuse to being received poorly. The relatively low-budget nature of climbing media is such that the subject has a role in the show - it's all pretty basic stuff. It's not like a major network grabbed him and paid him heaps to be a character. He has control over how he is portrayed. We're 'judged' on what we actually do, not on what strangers think we might be like despite our actions.
One Day Hero
31/03/2012
12:06:37 AM
On 30/03/2012 crazyjohn wrote:
>
>The way you describe this is as if your watching a TV soap opera and picking
>your favorite characters instead of actually being a rock climber playing
>the game.

What game? Go climbing with your mates, climb stuff, have a good time, end of game?

>
>We are all self-promoters. Youve put out a few videos, Ive seen em.

What? The Vegemite vids? Yeah, the hookers and coke are still flowing from that one! I do dream about making a climbing western though.

>Your complaint marks you as a consumer!

No, my complaint marks me as an overcritical arsehole consumer

>Your making a weird circular argument...

Not at all. I'm a consumer complaining about a product which I don't like. There's no circle, unless I am also the product.......which would mean that?....I....am......Dean....Po.......NOOOOO!

White Trash
4/04/2012
2:25:38 PM
On 30/03/2012 widewetandslippery wrote:
>yeah I think he talks shit too but was a good cook at Petes and really
>do YOU have the sack for what he does? You dont like it fair enough but
>the oh he will die shit, for goodness sake, so will you.

yeh good point. wish i could know the date so i could budget more effectively in the meantime!

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints