Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
Author
Canberra climbing partner
youngtuffdy
4-Sep-2007
9:56:31 PM
Howdy, I'm an ex QLD climber living in the ACT and trying to track down some 'keen ness' in this nick of
the woods. I'm interested in getting out to the Booroomba area as many weekends (and maybe some
weekdays) as possible. Should still be able to haul myself up stuff in low 20's. Have rope, rack etc and
I've been climbing about 8 years. Just keen to hook up with some of that enthusiasm that we all know
and love! Cheers, Aaron 0429 440 056

wallwombat
4-Sep-2007
10:13:04 PM
Yeah, I live in Goulburn but study and work in Canberra. I'm keen to get up to Booroomba a bit more often. My timetable is pretty flexible and it sounds like we climb at around the same level. We should organise something, maybe next week.

There's another guy who is in Canberra and seems keen for a climb. His name is Nicholas Reese and he goes by the screen name Capt_Mulch. I've been meaning to organise something with him.

Should be nice up at Booroomba soon.

My number is 0422 145 616

Cheers

Adam

cruze
5-Sep-2007
8:54:19 AM
Rob Knight lives in Canberra (you might know him from Qld). He often gets out. Otherwise turn up to a Canberra Climbing Association meeting, or join the ANU Mountaineering Club if you can (mountaineering certainly isn't their focus). Canberra is a great place to climb! Even this time of year if there is sun and little breeze Booroomba can be magic.

Capt_mulch
5-Sep-2007
6:37:37 PM
Let me know if you guys want to get together - I've got most of the gear. I won't be available for the next two weekends though. After that - nothing planned.
grangrump
10-Sep-2007
12:23:35 PM
On 4/09/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>Yeah, I live in Goulburn but study and work in Canberra. I'm keen to get
>up to Booroomba a bit more often.

goes crystalling when bungonia is sooo close...

wallwombat
10-Sep-2007
1:16:18 PM
On 10/09/2007 grangrump wrote:
>On 4/09/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>>Yeah, I live in Goulburn but study and work in Canberra. I'm keen to
>get
>>up to Booroomba a bit more often.
>
>goes crystalling when bungonia is sooo close...

Have you been to Bungonia?

If you had you would know it's not exactly a, "Oh, I feel like a climb. Might just go and do a route or two'' kind of place.

Also, since I seem to be the only friggin climber in Goulburn, who am I going to go climbing with at Bungonia?

I have been to Bungonia plenty of times. It is a big, serious crag. It's not one you just visit for an afternoon climbing session. It generally takes some planning and some serious psyching.

On top of that, I like Canberra granite, especially Booroomba which I think is a great crag.
youngtuffdy
10-Sep-2007
2:03:40 PM
I agree that Bungonia is awesome, but it's also way commiting. I've only done 'strangeness and charm' there and have fond memories of the route (especially the 'toilet seat little cave thingy' belay) but back then I was climbing more consistently than I am now! sigh

I think there's been a bit of development going on recently. Not much info that I could find on the net though. Does anyone have any details?

Cheers,

Aaron

wallwombat
10-Sep-2007
2:22:24 PM
Yes, I agree. I'm not climbing well enough at the moment to make trips down to the gorge particularly worthwhile. It's a beautiful place, though and I love going out there. There's some great canyonning out there too.

Graham Fairbain has been doing a fair bit of new stuff out there. Don't know too many details. It would be hard , I imagine. Think Zac Vertrees has been doing some stuff too.

Is it raining in Canberra, Aaron? It's pissing down here.
youngtuffdy
10-Sep-2007
2:40:25 PM
On 10/09/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>Yes, I agree. I'm not climbing well enough at the moment to make trips
>down to the gorge particularly worthwhile. It's a beautiful place, though
>and I love going out there. There's some great canyonning out there too.
>
>Graham Fairbain has been doing a fair bit of new stuff out there. Don't
>know too many details. It would be hard , I imagine. Think Zac Vertrees
>has been doing some stuff too.
>
>Is it raining in Canberra, Aaron? It's pissing down here.

Yeah it looks pretty moist on the hills. Good decision.

Neil Monteith and I did some caving a few years ago at Bungonia too. Find a hole in the ground, rap down and see how far you could go. It was terrifying and very memorable!

grangrump
10-Sep-2007
2:46:20 PM
Ok, ok. Yeah I've been scared **** at Bungonia. Anyone who hasnt must lack imagination. The Sydney Rockies used to find climbs of interests on some of the outcrops near the top (see on walk down).

Then there's Mittagong for a change of rock.

And I grew up on Canberra granite, so I shouldnt pay it out too much. In fact should finalise a couple of new routes soon.

wallwombat
10-Sep-2007
2:58:45 PM
I have climbed on some of those outcrops. There is some OK stuff but you wouldn't want to repeat them more than once.

Mittagong is nice.

Then there is the new Southern Highlands secret mega-crag which I can't talk about for fear of castration but can assure you is gold.

Really depends on the direction I'm going in.

The thing about Booroomba is, it's about the only crag where there are long climbs that I will free solo. Haven't for a while but I used to love driving up there alone, then walking up with just shoes and a chalk bag and soloing easy stuff on the Northern Slabs - Sunstroke, etc.

And there are still heaps of things I haven't done up there on the North and Central Buttresses with a rope.
grangrump
13-Sep-2007
11:22:05 AM
>The thing about Booroomba is, it's about the only crag where there are
>long climbs that I will free solo. Haven't for a while but I used to love
>driving up there alone, then walking up with just shoes and a chalk bag
>and soloing easy stuff on the Northern Slabs - Sunstroke, etc.

John Smart says he used to do that before work (school teacher) in summer sometimes...

Capt_mulch
13-Sep-2007
3:33:36 PM
When you say "Mittagong", is there anywhere specific? I drive Sydney / Canberra
a lot and am getting interested in having a look at the hilltop crags that can
be seen from the Mittagong bypass.

wallwombat
13-Sep-2007
5:31:00 PM
Ahh ha!

By Mittagong, he means the climbing Mecca that is Mount Alexandra, which I think is one of those hill top crags you referred to.

There is a guide HERE

Not a bad little crag. Should check it out.

Then there is Mount Gibraltar, which is good but in a different salty, blue cheese kind of way.

Nick, when are you free for a climb? I have the weekend free and was thinking about heading to Canberra.

Capt_mulch
13-Sep-2007
7:48:50 PM
Ad,

If you haven't seen my PM - last ski tour of the season this weekend. Next weekend is open though. Only house cleaning and tax on the agenda so I'll be easily distracted.
DJ Biggs
17-Sep-2007
10:29:37 PM
Keen......that's my middle name, have done a lot of sport climbing up to 24 but am looking for a a gnarly
old trad mentor as it seems the only way to get to do multipitch stuff round here, if you're at a loose end.
Dave Biggs

wallwombat
18-Sep-2007
12:09:56 AM
DJ, I sent you a PM with my number. We will sort something out.
youngtuffdy
19-Sep-2007
10:33:23 AM
Hey DJ & Adam, I am keen to get out the weekend after this one. Is there a fourth contender out there?

Aaron

Capt_mulch
19-Sep-2007
10:38:18 AM
yep, though what do you have in mind?
youngtuffdy
19-Sep-2007
10:40:16 AM
Was thinking Booroomba or Gibraltar. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
There are 27 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints