Yes - and I like listening to old people talk 13
62% 
Yes - and I like listening to young people cry 6
29% 
Yes - but I struggle to form cohesive opinions. 1
5% 
No - there is no option 'no', try a different poll 1
5% 

Page 1 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 106
Author
Buffalo Aid Weekend Nov 22-23 2014

phillipivan
7-Aug-2014
6:18:45 AM
So who is interested into another Chocky meet at Buffalo?
If so, are are you more interested in the format of previous iterations where M9 and Co. spent a good deal of time passing on experience, and folks generally trying things out on the shorter/easier routes around Buffalo; or a rather more informal 'wallathon' format where folks just climb a bunch of stuff on the weekend (presumably, but not necessarily, on the north wall).
I figure there must be enough graduates now from the 'school of m9' that there ought to be some keen for the latter.
climberman
7-Aug-2014
7:27:55 AM
On 7/08/2014 phillipivan wrote:
>So who is interested into another Chocky meet at Buffalo?
>If so, are are you more interested in the format of previous iterations
>where M9 and Co. spent a good deal of time passing on experience, and folks
>generally trying things out on the shorter/easier routes around Buffalo;
>or a rather more informal 'wallathon' format where folks just climb a bunch
>of stuff on the weekend (presumably, but not necessarily, on the north
>wall).
>I figure there must be enough graduates now from the 'school of m9' that
>there ought to be some keen for the latter.

Yep, but Nov this year will be problematic.
TimP
7-Aug-2014
9:02:07 AM
I'm interested but will be starting from basics so previous format would be best for me. If a wallathon is the go I'd just tag along and see what I could learn.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
7-Aug-2014
12:24:49 PM
I'm in.

W/end of 22-23 November suits me best.

On 7/08/2014 TimP wrote:
>I'm interested but will be starting from basics so previous format would
>be best for me. If a wallathon is the go I'd just tag along and see what
>I could learn.

TimP, ... you (& any others), would still learn heaps by tagging along.
The BIG difference with what phillipivan is proposing compared to before, is 'exposure', as even the easiest north wall routes have plenty of it, along with hanging belays etc...

In another sense, it is a natural progression that lends itself to tips & tricks of wall bivvies, jugging, hauling; or alternatively wall in a day, soloing, etc;... however nuance of portaloo usage is best practised by individuals beforehand, ... unless M75 volunteers to give a demo!!
;-)
kieranl
7-Aug-2014
2:19:59 PM
On 7/08/2014 climberman wrote:
>Yep, but Nov this year will be problematic.

I thought that was the point of aid-climbing ;)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Aug-2014
2:51:18 PM
Update:

OK, it is happening!

pi, your PM box is full, and since I gather you have booked your campsite already, could you please amend this thread topic to include 22-23 in the date.
~> That way, this thread will become the official Buffalo Wallathon 22-23 Nov 2014 thread!

I intend claiming the 'usual' communal campsite (for all of us), located nearest the fire-places/tables/tap/ablution block, by arriving early...

I have received PM's behind the scenes from others who are not Chockyaholics, who have indicated they are coming, so the '14 presently in the top of thread poll' is likely to be a minimum...

As I understand it, at this point in time;
Defender Of The Faith is going to receive a solo ascent.
I have my eye on completing a new hard-aid line further left of that.
Likely the Qld person who contacted me (if not someone else who might badge it earlier), will want to get on Ozy...
& Holden Caulfield has received a mention too...

Be there or miss out!
;-)

Monkeyboy
21-Aug-2014
3:34:09 PM
Hello all, recently re located to Melbourne ( joined this forum when I lived in sydney) after 4 years overseas. Really keen to learn to aid so would love to tag along.

Have no aid experience but can climb trad HVS /E1 uk and 5.9 Us. Unsure what that will translate to over here...need to get out on some rock and find out.
kieranl
21-Aug-2014
4:10:23 PM
On 21/08/2014 Monkeyboy wrote:
>Have no aid experience but can climb trad HVS /E1 uk and 5.9 Us. Unsure
>what that will translate to over here...need to get out on some rock and
>find out.
>
That's about grade 18.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Aug-2014
4:40:27 PM
On 21/08/2014 kieranl wrote:
>On 21/08/2014 Monkeyboy wrote:
>>Have no aid experience but can climb trad HVS /E1 uk and 5.9 Us. Unsure
>>what that will translate to over here...need to get out on some rock
>and find out.
>>
>That's about grade 18.
... which has no equivalent in Australian Clean Aid Grades; being M1 to M10 (at present), on an open ended scale.

In a nutshell M1 - M3 is easy-(ish); M4 / M5 can be strenuous/thin; M6 / M7 is hard/thin/tricky or any combination of those! ... (and can be quite scary); M8 and above is blerrie hard (read very thin and tricky, ie equalised pieces, hooks in a row, etc) / guaranteed to be scary.
;-)

Monkeyboy
21-Aug-2014
4:58:31 PM
Sounds scary...

phillipivan
21-Aug-2014
7:03:16 PM
Dearest M9, inbox space has been made. Haven't booked a campsite yet, will try to do so tonight.

Ps. I hope there is a route left for me to get on!

bigchris
21-Aug-2014
9:57:35 PM
I'd like to come along too if that's cool. I just did my first clean aid a couple of weeks ago and it was freaking rad.

Miguel75
21-Aug-2014
10:33:35 PM
Phil, are you home yet? If so, TR? Pics? Lollies? Climb on Sat?

M9 - About the only thing I'm able to do well on a wall is go to the toilet and maybe offer a little light comedic relief.

Bigchris - you smell!

phillipivan
22-Aug-2014
5:50:47 AM
Got home last night from NZ. Working tomorrow. Free days here and there over the next few weeks. Are you gonna come to this do? Are we gonna get back on LG?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
22-Aug-2014
11:37:44 AM
Thanks for changing the thread title pi.

On 21/08/2014 phillipivan wrote:
>Haven't booked a campsite yet, will try to do so tonight.

This site;
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/mount-buffalo-national-park/things-to-do/lake-catani-camping-ground
says...
Bookings open at 10:00am on 1 September each year and are based on a first-in, first-served basis.
Book online or call Parks Victoria on 13 1963.
;-)

>
>Ps. I hope there is a route left for me to get on!

Plenty there for everyone.
I once worked out it would take me at least a decade to get through them all if climbed at consistent weekend warrior status...

Rather than poll acceptances, we now need names and route intentions, so that we don't double-up, ... unless that fits the party ethos. ;-)
This will help for those looking for climbing partners as well.

Macciza
22-Aug-2014
11:50:09 AM
Will try to get down and make up for not making it down this winter.
Hopefully get on something this time round....

phillipivan
22-Aug-2014
12:05:30 PM
I haven't forgotten; just delayed, Macciza.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
22-Aug-2014
12:36:45 PM
For any new to Chockstone readership who may be wondering what this thread is all about...

Here is a link to the Buffalo Aidfest November 2013 - Trip Reports, to inspire your possible attendance and being part of it, or confirming your rejection of such shenanigans, as the case may be...
Heh, heh, heh.

sbm
29-Aug-2014
1:09:11 AM
Ah, well I just booked tickets, I'll hopefully be overseas in some "real" mountains these dates M9.

But I'll have the time off, and I should be back for the next weekend...and if the conditions turn out really crap and I have to cancel, I'll turn up.

phillipivan
29-Aug-2014
9:00:13 AM
Where are you going Sam?

Page 1 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 106
There are 106 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints