Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Author
Sydney inner city outdoor sport climbs
emloughl
31-Dec-2013
1:42:58 AM
Hey all,
Backpacking thru Sydney for a few days , and before I leave I hope to climb some nice scenic inner city routes and get some photos... Anyone want to meet? I'm in balls head currently.

I know there's some contention around climbing and environmental regulation, but the last I read it seems OK to climb here now. (Unless I stand corrected?)

Also for Dec 31 I'm aware it will be insanely busy here as Balls Head is also a vantage point for the firework display, but may be possible still... And any of the next few days is OK for me.

Cheers! - Evan
0434 845 401
mikllaw
31-Dec-2013
6:06:59 AM
check out the cathedral
http://routes.sydneyrockies.org.au/confluence/display/nswrock/The+Cathedral

or diamond bay (in the afternoon)
http://routes.sydneyrockies.org.au/confluence/display/nswrock/Diamond+Bay

sbm
31-Dec-2013
9:33:33 AM
Blues Point has ok bouldering in a great position, with a perfect grassy landing, no pads required.

Climbing at Balls Head is still very much banned, there's been a lot of recent bouldering developed there through a "loophole", but the council has now re-emphasised their position, confirmed that bouldering is banned too, and installed new "No Climbing" signs everywhere.

Doesn't stop like 5 people on my Facebook having the "Clocks" hero shot. I almost want to chop the route just so I never have to see people posing for that photo again.

rodw
31-Dec-2013
10:01:05 AM
Cranky at Barrengoey gives a great poser Australian beach shot...example below. (not mine just found via google images)..thoug it very much a staged photo as it only about 6m long.

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs14/PRE/f/2007/035/d/c/Barrenjoey_Climbing_by_piesphotos.jpg

Guide here....buses all the way to pam beach too...I do believe....
http://www.sydneyrockies.org.au/confluence/display/nswrock/Barrenjoey
emloughl
11-Jan-2014
1:11:08 PM
Thanks guys for the advice.

Ended up finding a few climbers and doing the posy clocks climb over the fireworks. Didn't see the "no climbing" signs you speak of, and I even asked a cop policing the area if there were any access regulations, and whether or not we could climb. He said it's all fair game as long as we weren't drinking. But I dunno.

The climbs were fun, and especially scenic for a foreigner such as myself. Met some respectful climbers and had a good time until the fireworks started, after which point a group of 6 or 7 "climbers" tramped down, set the thing up on top rope, and took turns tying into the rope whilst 3 other guys took the other end and literally hauled the climber up so he/she could do the pose... The only thing that was missing was duck face.

Haha so yea I can empathize with you, sbm, for wanting to chop it.

There are 5 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints