Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Author
Arapiles / Grampians this week?
s1Mon.at
14-Feb-2011
1:52:33 AM
Good morning folks,

I plan to head down to Melbourne today or tomorrow (more likely tomorrow since I still did not book anything) and I want to head out to climb around Melbourne.

I am an Austrian travelling somewhat around the world, so I only have my personal equipment, no rope, no draws (well, one, if it comes down to it), but a hellalot of motivation!

So if anyone if slightly interested in hitting the rocks in the next few days (I do have all camping gear except a tent, haha, however I'd like to stay out there for a bit if possible), give me a call (I might not have regular Internet connection):

Oh, and I can climb up to 25 or so and have plenty of experience to catch your likely fall.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Simon

(on a different note and should I find Internet again, one more question: how do I get out there without my own car easiest? Take bus? Go to Arapiles Campground to find other climbers? Will I die without a tent? Are there other accommodation options out there? Oh J ... this ain't easy. All I wanna do is climb.)

ajfclark
14-Feb-2011
7:52:47 AM
Catch a v-line train/bus to Horsham, hitch to Arapiles (or catch the bus maybe? http://www.chockstone.org/Upload/UserFiles/ajfclark/timetable.gif )

Maybe pick up a cheap blue tarp and some rope from somewhere for shelter?
Wendy
14-Feb-2011
7:55:32 AM
On 14/02/2011 s1Mon.at wrote:

>
>(on a different note and should I find Internet again, one more question:
>how do I get out there without my own car easiest? Take bus? Go to Arapiles
>Campground to find other climbers? Will I die without a tent? Are there
>other accommodation options out there? Oh J ... this ain't easy. All I
>wanna do is climb.)

Take V line train/bus combo Southern Cross Station to Horsham Coach Terminal. Hitch to Arapiles. Try and pick up someone with a tent. Failing that, bivy out, if it rains, move into the picnic shelter. Meeting people there will be easy. other accomodation options involve hitching to the mt each day. Try really hard to pick up. Seriously, it is normally fine to bivy, later this week might get a bit wet, but the picnic shelter is huge. Or you can stop at Kmart in horsham and buy a tent for $20.

Gavo
14-Feb-2011
8:17:30 AM
I would get a mosquito net before a tarp! Id rather get rained on than bitten by the horde through the night
widewetandslippery
14-Feb-2011
9:10:41 AM
On 14/02/2011 Wendy wrote:
>On 14/02/2011 s1Mon.at wrote:
>
>Take V line train/bus combo Southern Cross Station to Horsham Coach Terminal.
> Hitch to Arapiles. Try and pick up someone with a tent. Failing that,
>bivy out, if it rains, move into the picnic shelter. Meeting people there
>will be easy. other accomodation options involve hitching to the mt each
>day. Try really hard to pick up. Seriously, it is normally fine to bivy,
>later this week might get a bit wet, but the picnic shelter is huge. Or
>you can stop at Kmart in horsham and buy a tent for $20.

Additional advice is that a shuttle bus runs from the Horsham coach terminal. If you go from melbourne you get into horsham about 11:30. you can leave your stuff at the bus station. Go shopping in bulk and return to bus station. This means you can buy as much shit as you want without having to worry about carrying it anywhere. The shutle bus leaves around 2pm? and can drop you off directly at arapiles.

ajfclark
14-Feb-2011
9:23:36 AM
On 14/02/2011 widewetandslippery wrote:
>The shutle bus leaves around 2pm? and can drop you off directly at arapiles.

2:20pm. Timetable with phone number to get the return bus is linked above. You have to ask the driver to stop at Arapiles.
kieranl
14-Feb-2011
9:42:37 AM
We really should have a Sticky on the Find Climbers and Crags and Beta forums for travel instructions to Arapiles
s1mon.at
14-Feb-2011
9:49:50 AM
thanks for all this help guys.

but apart from that, is anyone actually keen to go climbing?

ajfclark
14-Feb-2011
10:03:00 AM
There will be people there.
kieranl
14-Feb-2011
10:41:57 AM
It was pretty sparse in the campground last week.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Feb-2011
9:38:39 AM
On 14/02/2011 Wendy wrote:
>you can stop at Kmart in horsham and buy a tent for $20.

I would suggest also getting a cheap tarp (the blue or green polytarp thingies for about another $8), to cover your cheap tent with, as cheap Kmart tents are fair weather tents only, and are poor performers at keeping moderate rain off you/your gear.

The tarp has the additional benefits that it can be rigged for extral shade/shelter area, and as a water catcher as well!

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints