Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
Author
Who can i climb with in arapiles?
codral
6-Oct-2010
12:43:02 PM
Hey so i want to get into outdoor climbing (used to do it years ago, just got back into climbing about 3 months back and just been indoor trying to get some endurance going) in readiness for a deep water soloing trip i'm planning next year..

Anyway i don't know anyone who climbs or has ropes and am currently only looking to top rope, so i was wondering if anyone could recommend any guided climbing days/tours in arapiles? I found one or two a while ago (which i cannot find now) but they needed groups of at least 3... I need to build up some more endurance before i can get some confidence for leading.. Was hoping to join in with a group of people, happy to pay for it etc, have been looking in your partner section but everyone leads here (and yeh i know it's because top roping is shiet)

thanks for any help,

nmonteith
6-Oct-2010
12:49:09 PM
Try the Victorian Climbing Club.
codral
6-Oct-2010
5:25:08 PM
sick, cheers, only problem with them is you need to be a member to go on most of the climbs and it doesn't list cost, they also only seem to do things about once a month
Hugh
6-Oct-2010
6:44:39 PM
once a month is better then not at all....

As for cost, they list it somewhere. For students, I think it is about $60 a year
egosan
6-Oct-2010
7:11:57 PM
Join a trip, codral, you don't need to be a member to go on the first trip. We are nice like your pusher.... or a cult. That and it don't get any easier to meet partners than on a VCC trip.
codral
6-Oct-2010
7:22:33 PM
ah i see now there are some events that don't need membership now... but they're sort of vague, just says intermediate or beginner, is there another trip section i'm missing ? And am climbing 16/17/18 indoors so prob a 14 outdoors, and yeh can only top rope atm, until i find a crew to learn to lead with, guess i'll mail one of the organisers
egosan
6-Oct-2010
7:30:39 PM
They don't bite. Well except for Josh. He can't help himself sometimes.

Don't fuss about the grades there will be people climbing at your level.
patto
6-Oct-2010
10:59:17 PM
On 6/10/2010 egosan wrote:
>Join a trip, codral, you don't need to be a member to go on the first trip.
> We are nice like your pusher.... or a cult. That and it don't get any
>easier to meet partners than on a VCC trip.

Yes, I hear if you are female its even easier than Oasis.com.au and RSVP.com.au!!

;-)
egosan
6-Oct-2010
11:02:51 PM
On 6/10/2010 patto wrote:

>Yes, I hear if you are female its even easier than Oasis.com.au and RSVP.com.au!!
>
>;-)

....sigh. Would that it were so.
codral
6-Oct-2010
11:22:18 PM
Sweet as, i'll see if i can organise to go on your next trip, then will sign up after that, and where do i sign up for this partner finding and these rock climbing chicks, few at the gym who are quite distracting :D

ajfclark
7-Oct-2010
11:38:41 AM
On 6/10/2010 codral wrote:
>ah i see now there are some events that don't need membership now... but they're sort of vague, just says intermediate or beginner, is there another trip section i'm missing ?

Hi Codral,

The little VCC events box on here lists the 5 trips at the top of the calendar. The full calendar is on the VCC website's events page (http://www.vicclimb.org.au/events/ ). It is pretty brief on each trip but lists the basic essentials you need to know (who's running it, when and where it is). If you think there's something missing, let me know and I'll see what we can do about getting it added.

The definition of beginner, intermediate, advanced has very little to do with the grades you climb, it's more a measure of how independent you are. The levels are explained both at the bottom of the events page and in the trip participant guidelines. If you have a look you'll see that it is not particularly difficult to be considered intermediate. The rules about non-members coming on trips are also covered in the trip participant guidelines.

>And am climbing 16/17/18 indoors so prob a 14 outdoors, and yeh can only top rope atm, until i find a crew to learn to lead with, guess i'll mail one of the organisers

I think the next suitable trip would be the cup weekend one. Drop me an email.

ajfclark
7-Oct-2010
11:42:11 AM
On 6/10/2010 Hugh wrote:
>once a month is better then not at all....

The club tends to go a little quiet through winter. If you have a look at the full calendar you can see there's pretty well than a trip every weekend in November, 3 in December, 2 planned in January (though one of those is for 15 days so that accounts for 3 weekends by itself)...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
7-Oct-2010
11:52:56 AM
Yeah, but when is the VCC going to do the grit?

Hehx3

ajfclark
7-Oct-2010
12:04:03 PM

This man can get near a woman? Wow...
JDB
7-Oct-2010
12:23:36 PM
The binoculars and the long lens suggests he is on the look out !!!

ajfclark
7-Oct-2010
12:26:45 PM
That reminded me of a Weird Al song:

Me-he-he-helanie
What can the problem be
Sweet Me-he-he-he-helanie
Why won't you go out with me

She lived across the street on the fifteenth floor of the Gilmore building
I saw her in the shower reaching for some soap
I knew she had to be the girl for me
And to think I probably never would have found her
If I hadn't bought that telescope

[edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEs8_1LUaBU ]
widewetandslippery
7-Oct-2010
12:33:47 PM
Do you ever pick up being able to recite Wierd Al? Did you learn that trick from Simon or is it your own?

Where's the bloke on the lefts left hand gone to?

ajfclark
7-Oct-2010
12:52:45 PM
On 7/10/2010 widewetandslippery wrote:
>Do you ever pick up being able to recite Wierd Al? Did you learn that trick from Simon or is it your own?

No need to remember the lyrics when your Google-fu is strong.
rpowers
7-Oct-2010
4:11:24 PM
You could also try the RMIT Outdoors Club. Cheap to join, a fair bit of climbing, not shy about top roping and semi-regular gym sessions if you're around Melbourne.

Calendar: http://roc.org.au/trips.php
codral
7-Oct-2010
9:11:02 PM
no worries, just about to send you an email now, psyched as to do some proper climbing, shattered i have to helmet up, fair pin head but fair enough if i end up leading, gotta track down the guy i used to climb with, he buggered off with my rope & slings

also fair about to turn gay for the kid in the helmet above and like 'simeys' form

Ah rmit club i was looking at a while ago but (i go to rmit) they do all sorts of out doorsy stuff and seem almost to be a scouts club, will check it out next time i'm in, hopin it doesn't involve neckkerchiefs

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
There are 21 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints