Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 34
Author
Buller Ice Climbing
Bob Saki
5-Jul-2010
10:32:46 AM
Hi All,

Just an update:

A mate and I went up to Buller via the West Ridge on Saturday morning, snowline was about at Round Hill and was nice and light but this day was to be hotter than the previous week and already it was falling out of the trees. by the time we reached about 1600m it was clear they had received 10cm overnight.

Suffice to say there was no real ice at all on the waterfall or in the chutes so we contented ourselves with general mountaineering and some short dry tooling routes with small overhangs, it would be a stretch to call it mixed climbing as there was no ice.

However it was so beautiful up therethe trees were laden with snow below and the clouds moved very fast occasionally allowing patches of sunshine.

It was nice to get the tools out and have a play, will head to Bogong and Blue Lake soon.

On the way home I got rather freaked out by the dog tracks in the snow some prints had a span of 7-10cm so I was on the lookout all the way down.

I won't lie I am quite nervous about an encounter with such beasts, what would be the best defensive tactic considering I am unarmed? I thought about cowering in a hollow of a burnt tree with pack as a shield and a snowstake to use to lashout. There were two of us so I felt safer but I was still vigilant.
hargs
5-Jul-2010
10:39:21 AM
Unarmed? Weren't you carrying a couple of ice axes?
Bob Saki
5-Jul-2010
11:46:56 AM
Well I wouldn't back my skills to take on a dog with an ax. Don't get me wrong I'd have a crack but I'm hoping some one may have some smarter strategies.

Sabu
5-Jul-2010
12:02:42 PM
Hey I'm really interested in checking out the West Ridge and up to the summit. Never been up there before. Is the track fairly obvious etc? Much need to carry a second axe for just general mountaineering?

Was hoping to get up to Feathertop this weekend and have a play in the meantime!

Ps: 1 hit with an axe and i'm sure you'd scare off most things!
widewetandslippery
5-Jul-2010
12:13:30 PM
Sabu I reckon the one hit and scare them of is probally a bad call that could turn you or someone else into dog food. If you're close enough to a pack of wild dogs to axe them you're to close. At worst throw rocks from a distance. My understanding packs of wild dogs are to be avoided.

Sabu
5-Jul-2010
12:14:42 PM
We have packs of wild dogs roaming our national parks??
widewetandslippery
5-Jul-2010
12:28:44 PM
Yes
egosan
5-Jul-2010
1:11:54 PM
On 5/07/2010 Sabu wrote:
>We have packs of wild dogs roaming our national parks??

They ate my baby!
egosan
5-Jul-2010
1:14:14 PM
On 5/07/2010 Bob Saki wrote:
>Well I wouldn't back my skills to take on a dog with an ax. Don't get me
>wrong I'd have a crack but I'm hoping some one may have some smarter strategies.
>
>

Remember the old adage about bears when considering how to use your ax. You don't need to out run the bear, you just need to out run your mate.

MisterGribble
5-Jul-2010
1:21:07 PM
No dogs, the Pumas saw them off!
Bob Saki
5-Jul-2010
1:42:15 PM
On 5/07/2010 Sabu wrote:
>Hey I'm really interested in checking out the West Ridge and up to the
>summit. Never been up there before. Is the track fairly obvious etc? Much
>need to carry a second axe for just general mountaineering?
>
>Was hoping to get up to Feathertop this weekend and have a play in the
>meantime!
>
>Ps: 1 hit with an axe and i'm sure you'd scare off most things!

Hi Sabu,

Track is very defined and once above the treeline you are either on the ridhe or not.

It's a moderate hike

To begine drive up doughty's road this is marked by a wooden sign and comes up just prior to entrance gate for Mt. Buller.

You drive up this for about 10 mins and the road bificates make sure you take the straigh path for about 300m the you will see a sign post to begin the hike. New trail markers and signs have been erected.

2 - 2.5 hous will see oyu at the col before the summit in heavier snow

chers
cs

nmonteith
5-Jul-2010
2:20:27 PM
On 5/07/2010 Bob Saki wrote:
>On the way home I got rather freaked out by the dog tracks in the snow
>some prints had a span of 7-10cm so I was on the lookout all the way down.

Isn't this the same phenomena of the Yeti paw prints? A small animals prints melt out to a larger looking print in the sun. I'm sure there isn't any large roaming packs of wild dogs ready to kill you on Mt Buller.
widewetandslippery
5-Jul-2010
2:38:40 PM
My understanding is the dogs will do there best to stay away from you. They are definitely in Namadgi NP. You can hear them at night. I have never encountered them or personally talked to anyone who has had an incident. google snowy mountains wild dogs and there are lots of references. Namadgi NP has warning signs. My main point was that to confront a pack of wild dogs without a gun and knowing how to use it would be a bad idea.
egosan
5-Jul-2010
2:42:23 PM
On 5/07/2010 nmonteith wrote:

> I'm sure there isn't any large roaming packs
> of wild dogs ready to kill you on Mt Buller.

Well hell! Where is the adventure then?
mik
5-Jul-2010
3:03:07 PM
sounds like you had some fun. got any pics of your trip??

there are enough dogs to keep 3-4 dog trappers employed most year round between eildon and corryong.

the last five years has seen a decrease in feral animal control and increased numbers of brumbys and lots of dogs. a major issue for the local native animals and also landholders adjoining parks/bushland.

i have been in a couple of close encounters, once near little plain on south of mt fainter and there were a few scared students. also near mt speculation was a nasty incident with sticks, rocks and some high speed trangia equipment.

i think if you travel in a group its better and also making lots of noise. I did notice some dog tracks on buller north ridge two weeks ago in the snow. but also plenty of wombats and foxes.
Bob Saki
5-Jul-2010
4:43:18 PM
On 5/07/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>On 5/07/2010 Bob Saki wrote:
>>On the way home I got rather freaked out by the dog tracks in the snow
>>some prints had a span of 7-10cm so I was on the lookout all the way
>down.
>
>Isn't this the same phenomena of the Yeti paw prints? A small animals
>prints melt out to a larger looking print in the sun. I'm sure there isn't
>any large roaming packs of wild dogs ready to kill you on Mt Buller.

These tracks were very fresh i.e. not there at 9 am in the morning but present at 2:30pm. The melt wasn't that significant but it's a fair point you raise.

It's not death that worries me so much as being left a mess, and what i know of dogs/wolves as pack animals they are ruthless hunter take a look at the African Hunting Dog more efficient hunters than lions, cheetahs and leopards

I'm sure I seem paranoid but I was attacked by a local dog that was well known to be hungry and without assistance I may have been badly mauled.

MIK I do have pics and will post

nmonteith
5-Jul-2010
5:03:02 PM
Apart from a couple of incidents of babies being taken by Dingos, I can't seem to find any reference on the net to people being attacked by pack dogs in National Parks. They seem to eat a lot of sheep, but no humans. I think you're being seriously paranoid. I've bivied in the open all round Australia and havn't ever seen or heard one dog that seemed to want trouble. I've stumbled upon Dingos in various places and they usually bolt at the first sign of a human.
Bob Saki
5-Jul-2010
5:19:13 PM
yes Neil I too have camped all around australia from the Simpson Desert and extensive experience in the Vic High Country including solo trips in the remote Barry Mtns but this is not a P@@sing contest..

I have not had problems with Dogs before but have always been vigilant because as I said they scare me, I'll happily admit it.

I would just simply like to know any ways to fend off a possible attack it never hurts to be prepared as seeing these large prints up close and fresh raised my hackles.

nmonteith
5-Jul-2010
5:57:02 PM
I think most wild animals are afraid of fire. In that doco of John Muir walking across Oz he used to light a big fire every night to keep the dingos away. Bear mace might help? Its most likely illegal in Australia though...

I'm sure you could get it posted from OS.

Climbau
5-Jul-2010
5:58:43 PM
Have spoken to deer hunters about dogs in vic alps. A few scary tales re being surrounded by a pack whilst out hunting for wild dogs , tales of coming face to face with a way too curious wild alsation. To name but a few. I personally have been tracked by a lone mutt in kanagra-boyd NP. Not a pleasant experience for a solo walker.
Most of the time they will keep their distance, antogonising them changes their demeanour tho.
I always thought of getting a dog whistle or one of those training screacher thingymajigs.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 34
There are 34 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints