Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Author
Cool cave i went to in mexico
bne
3-Mar-2005
12:13:31 PM
Warning...highly technical explainations...

Well, here is my poor attempt at photography with my 2 megajiggle camera. And the thing about caves, is that they are dark...makes photos harder.

Anyway, this is the big open entrance chamber of a (limestone?) cave in mexico. there are small cavey passages out the back. this route is called "dime vaquera" (Tell me cow-girl). Starts up the stal, then through the roof and actually exits the cave. its real grade is 12c...i was told 11a (obviously the sandbag concept is international)...

There is another stupidly hard routether... about 30 meters of pure roof.

And there is an easier 10 ish face-roof thing, "Puro Sangre" (pure blood) named after a used sanitary pad found at the base when the ground around it was being cleared.

summary-
hollow mountain, but with more stalagtites....and a bit higher....
Thailand, but no beach/sticky rice man/tidal waves.
Steve H
3-Mar-2005
4:21:13 PM
Hey Ben
Where abouts is this cave in relation to Potrero Chico??
bne
4-Mar-2005
2:16:54 AM
It is called "el indio" and its about 5 hours to the south. near San Luis Potosi. are you planning on going to portrero soon?
Steve H
4-Mar-2005
8:34:21 AM
I was there (Potrero) a few years ago, back in the days when Kurt Smith still had his camping ground/ranchero. An amazing place, awesome climbing, huge potential for new stuff and the Mexican people are the best. To answer your question, yes, but not soon, perhaps in 2006.
Did you climb at the Potrero or elsewhere in Mexico (Guadalaraja?), we also climbed down in Guatemala which was interesting.
G
4-Mar-2005
11:46:41 AM
>summary-
>hollow mountain, but with more stalagtites....and a bit higher....
>Thailand, but no beach/sticky rice man/tidal waves.

Hey Benny,

hopefully the place is thailand without the inverting, falling through steps, and groundfalls. :-)
bne
4-Mar-2005
11:51:53 AM
This portrero?

I have been 3 or 4 times, i havent found Kurt. but there is a small group of people, living there and putting up crazy new routes. there is a 22 pitch 5.12+ going up the highest peak of that face you can see in the photo.

Definately there is still a heap of new rock for someone with a drill but I find it a bit crumbly and slabby.

You will have to give me some info about climbing in guatamala...probably i can get down there at the end of this year. where are the good places?
bne
4-Mar-2005
11:55:51 AM
Actually, on that stal climb, i tried it once, slipped on the move coming off the stal and wacked my left shin...then, bit later, slipped off again and banged my right knee.

so the answer is....almost!!!

:)
then i found something easier to climb.
Steve H
4-Mar-2005
1:01:47 PM
Yep thats it!
The route you are talking about is called 'El Sendero Luminoso' - translated 'The Shining Path'
Most people do it as a 2 day ascent, bivvying on a ledge after about the first 10 pitches, then rap the entire route, 22 pitches of well bolted superb climbing.
There are also a whole bunch of other multipich classic routes either side of this route.
As for Kurt - he is long gone I believe, bit of a run in with the locals and it all went pear shaped, but he had a good set up while it lasted. Where did you stay - Homero's?
You are partly right about the rock, it is very loose on some of the crags, but in general I found it excellent quality, no where near as polished as some of the Thailand limestone, and I am sure it has cleaned up a hell of a lot with traffic since I was there. As for slabby, what about the 'Outrage Wall' - there is also a 20 - 30 pitch route which tops out on this wall. There is a huge amount of variety there.
I cannot reccomend the place enough - can't wait to get back now.
Guatemala - I will give you as much info as I remember.

cheesehead
4-Mar-2005
9:47:50 PM
>Hey Benny,
>
>hopefully the place is thailand without the inverting, falling through
>steps, and groundfalls. :-)

I knew we could count on you to keep it real, G!
Good to hear from both of you (G and BNE!)

Rich
3-Apr-2005
6:54:35 PM
On 4/03/2005 bne wrote:
>Actually, on that stal climb, i tried it once, slipped on the move coming
>off the stal and wacked my left shin...then, bit later, slipped off again
>and banged my right knee.
>
>so the answer is....almost!!!
>
>:)
>then i found something easier to climb.

Nice bne, we can always count on you to try and injure yourself wherever possible!
that cave looks great tho..

White Rabbit
6-Apr-2005
12:18:08 AM
Benny if you really want to see another cool cave climb go to El Salto!!
Nothing breaks and falls off there :)
bne
7-Apr-2005
12:01:57 AM
hey val...thats not true...i still fall off...and i break. but still, it is on my list of places to go.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints