Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Author
Old Lismore Quarry

capt_mulch
21-Apr-2014
9:32:04 AM
I finally got the chance to get up to the Old Lismore Quarry yesterday and check the place out. It looks promising as a nice training crag. It's well off the main road and a 1 kilometre hike up a gentle hill - well worth it just for the scenery. It looks like no-one has been up there for ages. My gear doesn't arrive from OS for another week, so just a look-see this time.

As you can see, there's plenty to climb and is certainly better than nothing!

rodw
21-Apr-2014
10:48:51 AM
That looks okay for an old quarry Nick...have fun.
rightarmbad
21-Apr-2014
11:48:01 AM
We stopped in there on the way back to the Gold Coast on Easter Friday.
We were crag hunting inland and had a bit of time to kill before dark.
Not a lot of time so only checked out the right hand side.

There's actually a few good lines there but the rock is covered in a dirty coating that makes feet a bit dicey for bridging.
There is plenty of gear placements and trees at the top for anchors but needs traffic to clean up.

On our way back out I noticed fresh footprints of boots heading up that were not there on the way in.
I think the security dude that lives at the end of the road may have come up and had a sneak peek at us.

It looks like a great training crag but the lack of use makes me wonder if locals have given up with access problems.

Capt_mulch
22-Apr-2014
3:25:31 AM
I'm going to approach the council about access (time to start the Northern Rivers Climbing Association if anyone is keen) - I can't see how it's any more dangerous than any other crag on public land. The good thing about this place is that it's not like a national park - how could you do any more damage than they have already done? The amount of rock that has been taken out of here is massive - it probably started when they were doing the rail line (1890's ?) and needed ballast. The only worry is loose rock, so my plan is to abseil any potential route first and inspect and clean. Yep, plenty of solid trees for anchors on top, though I may zap any of the camphor laurels.

Anyone heading past and is interested, give me a PM - I'm only 300m down the road and have plenty of gear and plenty of private back paddock for camping. Give me a year or two and I'll have plenty of local knowledge too :-) It's certainly more inspiring than Sandy Bay.

Capt_mulch
22-Apr-2014
3:30:38 AM
I've been PM'd by the person who put up all the original routes - thank Buddha for Chocky :-)
Nickerr
25-Nov-2014
7:05:16 PM
Have you been out there much lately went for a quick walk up to scope it out today. Any idea on whether we are allowed to be out there or not?

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints