Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Author
Climbing and surfing for a Swede...
gecko
10-Aug-2008
10:50:13 PM
Hello every one!

I'm a swede who soon are going to have a degree in teaching (physics and math) in january.. But since I'm a climber I can't start working right a way ;-) So my plane is to go to wisit you guys in Australia for 3-4 month! I wanna climb in Arapiles for about 2 month, but I also wanna learn how to surf.

I'm not a big fan of huges croweds, so that I'm looking for is a place where I can learn how to surf where there no crowds (read Byron Bay) and in the same area as Arapiles.I want the layed back lifestile and a place to sleep close to the wave, some climbing and a easy job prehaps (I am a Swedish indoor and rock climbing instructor).

Can you help me? Where should I go?

Cheers,

Gus

JimboV10
11-Aug-2008
8:25:56 AM
Not sure if you have noticed, but Arapiles is in the middle of nowhere, with no close beach that has surf.

Geelong might be a good option...

Paulie
11-Aug-2008
1:47:43 PM
Locations where u can mix both include: Sunshine Coast (QLD); Wilson's Prom (VIC) and the many breaks around Sydney (NSW) - Nowra / Wollongong (NSW) would be a very good option. Hamilton (VIC) is one place where u are close to the Gramps/Araps and good (heavy) surf spots, but u need a car.

1st tip: Try learning to surf 1st to see if you actualy like it. Believe it or not, surfing is not the romantic sport that Billabong et al make it out to be, the reality is that you spend all day getting cold (in winter anyway), tired from paddling out of rips/sweep, getting regularly hammered and thinking you're going to drown, and to top it all off it takes complete dedication and at least 1 year to actually learn to do even a simple cuttie...aside from that, you need to live right near a beach as you'll never learn if you only do weekend trips.

2nd tip: buy a car
gfdonc
11-Aug-2008
2:49:25 PM
Margaret River WA?

Paulie
11-Aug-2008
4:28:24 PM
You really wanna throw him straight into some of Australia's most powerful reef breaks? Lol :)

Eduardo Slabofvic
11-Aug-2008
5:00:58 PM
A crappiest routes
gecko
11-Aug-2008
7:53:56 PM
Thanks for the advices... I know I like climbing so if surfing not my thing I think I have enough to do any way in Australia! You guys shouldn't say anything about beeing cold to a swede ;-)

How much do I have to pay for a car that will take me from Sydney to Melbourn to Arapiles and back?

I'm arriving to Australia the first of february (is the plan), and going home in May. So if any one wanna climb with a swede during that period lett me know! I like all sorts of climbing but I have a thing for crack-climbing and trad...

Take care!

Gus
adamk
11-Aug-2008
8:03:26 PM
If u set yourself up at Araps there are lots of locals who are regualrly doing surf trips. They are very friendly and i am sure wont mind me saying would be happy to take you along. I live in torquay so if you ever need somewhere to crash send me a PM.
cheers
Adz
gfdonc
11-Aug-2008
9:35:49 PM
If you're here in summer and have a thing for crack climbing you should head up to Mt Buffalo instead of Araps.
Check the Guide section of Chockstone for information.
simey
11-Aug-2008
9:41:38 PM
Particularly as Buffalo is renowned for its perfect point breaks and grinding barrels.

Li
11-Aug-2008
10:13:05 PM
On 11/08/2008 simey wrote:
>Particularly as Buffalo is renowned for its perfect point breaks and grinding
>barrels.
>
That's so funny........love it!
dalai
11-Aug-2008
10:14:18 PM
>barrels.
>
Will leave you scarred as if you had wiped out on a reef break...
gfdonc
11-Aug-2008
10:58:05 PM
I think the first surfboard descent of the Gorge is up for grabs ..

westie
12-Aug-2008
12:59:34 PM
On 10/08/2008 gecko wrote:
>I want the layed back lifestile and a place
>to sleep close to the wave, some climbing and a easy job prehaps (I am
>a Swedish indoor and rock climbing instructor).

mmm.

and I want a billion bucks, an archipeligo in the Caribbean and Miranda Kerr. However....
hipster
13-Aug-2008
11:20:52 AM
>barrels.

You'd have more chance of spotting a dog-paddling triathlete than a grinding barrel!!
earwig
13-Aug-2008
1:37:29 PM

> I'm looking for a place where I can surf where there no crowds

Aah, the 1960s I reckon, yeah, that'd be the place to surf with no crowds.

phil_nev
13-Aug-2008
1:56:07 PM
On 11/08/2008 dalai wrote:
>On 11/08/2008 simey wrote:
>>Particularly as Buffalo is renowned for its perfect point breaks and
>grinding
>>barrels.
>>
>Will leave you scarred as if you had wiped out on a reef break...

Not to mention has no worthwhile routes to do!!!

westie
13-Aug-2008
3:13:42 PM
On 13/08/2008 earwig wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a place where I can surf where there no crowds
>
>Aah, the 1960s I reckon, yeah, that'd be the place to surf with no crowds.

yea-huh. Just 4-5 dudes with nautical ropes and felt hats at Araps. Now its just crowd surfing therabouts

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints