Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Topic Date User
Lost Boys (moderated thread). 23-Jul-2008 At 1:21:57 PM Chockstone Moderator
After referencing our system checks we have confirmed Chockstone User-ID of IdrthrbdribblnlikeM9 is the banned user Hex.
That account is now disabled and posts from it deleted.

The thread is reposted back now with remaining content retained.
[Posters drdeviousii, Pat, Capt_mulch, bomber pro, and Wingello panther, had their contributions to the thread removed for clarity sake as they were queries to confusion created by the initial troll post, regarding where Lost Boys route goes].

>'...The Lost Boys on Mt. Warning is definitely a multi day affair. It has never received a one day ascent nor I believe will it. It is 580 metres long and most pitches are grade 23. Access is some what problematic as you have to perform a 4 to 5 hour slog through the rainforest to even get to the base of the wall. That will put you behind the eight ball even before you start. Put aside at least 4 days for this outing and you'll be golden.

>Rap in from the top to set your camp on a tiny ledge big enough for two and then continue to the bottom for the start. Best to get yourself guided in so that you can actually find the wall surprisingly enough. The rainforest is so thick that you will only glimpse the huge wall rarely on theway in. Parties have had all day epics flailing around in the oh so thick wait-a-while vine. Not recommended that you try to find your own way in. There are reports of at least two parties wishing to do Lost Boys next winter. Oh yes, don't attempt to do this wall during summer, you will cook as it faces north and is subject to sun all day and the wall is very dark brown to black. Can you imagine the heat off that in summer. I'm told that Tim Balla the creator of Lost Boys did some of the gargantuan development in summer, brave man.There are a couple of one day affairs on the wall as well...'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21016783@N00/2072392049/in/set-72157603324236804/

http://national.atdw.com.au/multimedia/TNSW/mount-warning_final.jpg

Phil Box wrote
16/07/2008
8:39:37 AM
Lost Boys starts at around about the second A in Australia in that pic. Now finding your way in to the start is the crux of the climb. It can be done via the tourist track but that is a horrendous aproach and finding the top of the route to ab in is like trying to find the proverbial needle in a hay stack.

Conversely walking in via the Tyalgum Ridge Road is equally a chore due to the very indistinct track we put in. It is constantly being overgrown and dead fall from the rain forest canpoy obliterates the track regularly.

This wall is definitely adventure climbing at its finest. There are a few of us who know its secrets.

old fart wrote
16/07/2008
2:06:55 PM
I know what you mean. I was lucky enough to be draged up down and around that route when Tim was still in the bolting faze. I belayed him while he put in the bolts for the second pitch. It tunred out to be a 19 hour day for just two bolts hand drilled on lead with shy hooks. It felt like i would die by the time we got out but i loved every minute of it.

Phil box wrote
16/07/2008
4:42:07 PM
On 16/07/2008 old fart wrote:
>I know what you mean. I was lucky enough to be draged up down and around
>that route when Tim was still in the bolting faze. I belayed him while
>he put in the bolts for the second pitch. It tunred out to be a 19 hour
>day for just two bolts hand drilled on lead with shy hooks. It felt like
>i would die by the time we got out but i loved every minute of it.

Tim Bella's effort putting The Lost Boys up was monumental. I know how hard that rock is. I've put a few bolts in there and it takes about an hour per 60mm deep 10mm hole.

I heard he took ten years to finish the route. He even went out thee and baked on the north facing cliff during summer. That was hard core, that rock is so black from the lichen that coats it that it just would be a furnace.

Phil Box wrote
17/07/2008
9:19:37 AM
I'll be heading in there some time in August as will Duncan and Lee. They are going to attempt a one day ascent. They failed last year due to a torrential downpour.

Note that due to the very thick rainforest cover GPS works very intermittently at best. Compass is the way to go. Take seceteurs to cut the waitawhile vine that will inevitably tangle you up.

hero wrote
17/07/2008
10:33:54 PM
Tim Balla, He'll always be a throbbing squirm to me...

SwineOfTheTimes wrote
17/07/2008
11:01:53 PM
On 17/07/2008 hero wrote:
>Tim Balla, He'll always be a throbbing squirm to me...

Or a squirming throb to others...

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints