HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Castle Hill in August
Johnie2.5
23-Apr-2008
4:05:58 PM
Planning on heading to NZ in August, anyone have any idea if it would be possible/comfortable to climb at Castle Hill then. Also any useful beta on crags close to Christchurch worth visiting would be appreciated.
Cheers

alpinedan
25-Apr-2008
11:25:04 AM
It is possible to climb at Castle Hill in winter, however more often than not there will be snow on the ground as well as it being fairly cold, so that depends on what your idea of comfortable is. About 20mins from downtown Chch is the Port Hills... Rapaki Rock, Castle Rock and the Tors were my favourites, but there are a number of other crags in the port hills area. Get a copy of Rock Deluxe from the NZAC :)
devlin66
25-Apr-2008
12:03:41 PM
Fred Nicole reckons the perfect climbing temperature is 3 deg C. If you can get used to the cold then it shouldn't be a problem........ says he who lives in QLD.

freesolo
25-Apr-2008
1:48:32 PM
dude, go to golden bay and climb. you will seriously freeze at castle hill. i was there in feb. and had frost on my tent in the morning.
devlin66
25-Apr-2008
2:15:21 PM
Harden the phuck up princess! :)

freesolo
26-Apr-2008
4:24:53 PM
have you been to golden bay or castle hill?? or do you just climb with the uni club at kangaroo pt and pretend youre something other than a big girl from that bastion of cornices and crevasses called brisbane??

Capt_mulch
27-Apr-2008
9:06:37 AM
I don't know, it looks pretty dodgy there...

devlin66
28-Apr-2008
10:18:19 AM
Hehe. No, I originate from the foot of the Blue Mountains and have climbed there through a few cold winters. I don't live in Brisbane by choice and would prefer the colder eather myself. In any case it was a tongue in cheek comment and am too tired from climbing at 'The Point' for a witty reply.
Setha
28-Apr-2008
2:18:32 PM
I spent a bit of time at CH in august/september a couple of years ago and its fine. Cold, but good. Certainly better climbing conditions then february (assuming it isn't raining!)
Johnie2.5
28-Apr-2008
3:53:22 PM
Geat, thanks for the (mostly) helpful info, looks like i will pack the pad.

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints