Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All TAS (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Tassie trip over summer
Olbert
4-Nov-2015
10:37:30 AM
So I'm thinking of doing a quick 2 week road trip round Tassie with the GF and I have a few questions.

What are the best crags to visit with routes around 15 that also have single pitch harder routes that can be led and cleaned without a seconder.

What are the best adventury routes (not including Frenchmans Cap!!) from 10 to 15ish that would be good for a not so experienced seconder.

I've got a pretty cheap quote for a Wicked van from Hobart but it's a bit cheaper for me to fly into Launceston. Are there easy/cheap ways to get from Launceston and Hobart return? Or should I just fly into Hobart?

Any suggestions on non-climbing related activities? I'm sure there must be something to do other than climbing in Tassie!
daave
4-Nov-2015
11:34:16 AM
Don't pretend like you climb anymore Ollie.

widewetandslippery
4-Nov-2015
12:01:57 PM
Go to Port Arthur and ask for a signed Martin Bryant poster, Cascade Brewery, send your girlfriend to the chocolate factory and go back to brewery, go fishing.

My limited experience Freycinet and the Tasman Peninsular fit the bill.

E. Wells
4-Nov-2015
12:39:03 PM
Hike out to totem pole just to take a look. 2hrs each way. If your cashed up do the seal colony speed boat tour thingo in adventure bay, bruny island. If your not, do the hike to a peninsular over other side. Go to Mt Feild NP and see some token big trees that arent being chopped down. Stop at salmon farm on way and feed face and fish. There is a platypus there that lives in plenty creek. Grab a poodle and a moped and have breakfast at Jackman and McCross in hobart. Hike up to Cradle Mtn (easy in a day). These are all easy very touristy things and there is so much more.
Cam McKenzie
4-Nov-2015
1:11:41 PM
Freycinet is probably best for stuff around 15ish. There are quite a lot of hard single pitches scattered around too, but nothing very concentrated (except at the star factory, but there's nothing much sub 23/24 there).

For adventurous stuff, there's Rysavy Ridge on Mt Roland, 400m ish 12-15 ish. The Candle Stick is a pretty awesome day out, and one of the routes goes at about 16 (I think) for 3 pitches. It does involve a swim though, and a tyrolean. Good view of the Tote too!

Lots of good single and two pitch routes on the Organ Pipes, but pretty limited under grade 18. Around grade 18 though, it has some amazing climbing.

Heaps of good hiking and trail running in Tassie if that's your thing.
Cams
4-Nov-2015
2:31:38 PM
Hillwood near Launceston might fit the bill. Pretty easy access with a good range of grades. Access to the top of the cliffs. Not exactly what you go to climb in Tassy, but still a great crag.

Mt Brown has some great routes out on the Tasman Peninsular. Parrot Shelf has some lower grade trad and is right next to Paradiso.

The Moai is an awesome day out with Sacred Site probably being pretty soft for the grade and not as many access issues as the other two main stacks. There are also a few other great harder routes on the stack that could probably be cleaned on rap.

White Water Wall at Freycinet, as always, is worth looking at. Really fun, long and atmospheric lower grade stuff on the main wall.

The skyline traverse at Cradle is another great adventurous day out.

Apart from the climbing. Food, photography, bushwalking, boat trips if you've got some cash (Bruny, tasman, Strahan, Freycinet), more food, lounging on the beaches on the east coast, beer. Kayaking, mountain biking.
Olbert
4-Nov-2015
7:21:26 PM
On 4/11/2015 daave wrote:
>Don't pretend like you climb anymore Ollie.

I climb!...out of bed each morning. I swear that has gotta be at least a 26!
Olbert
4-Nov-2015
9:57:25 PM
Thanks for the replies, mountain biking and hiking will definitely be on the agenda. As well as riding seals - just like those Antarctic explorers in those funny hats.

Vwills
4-Nov-2015
10:03:49 PM
Fiddlesticks on the organ pipes us a really nice 14 with a great grade 22 first pitch to neon god right next to it with anchors at about 25 m. There are a few other ok single pitch routes nearby, and the awesome midnight lightning if you have 2 ropes. Moonraker is grade 15 at the pipes, but involves more traversing at one point and is a bit jamby, which the GF may not feel comfortable with. In Hobart itself you can get a few single pitch things in at the Waterworks, with some easier routes there too. Whitewater wall as mentioned is scenic and easy options.
kieranl
4-Nov-2015
11:21:09 PM
A couple of random ideas that we have done in Hobart.
MONA is worth a visit. Some of it is brilliant and some of it is crap (literally) and we may differ on which is which. You could try to park in God's Mistress' parking space for extra value.
If you happen to play a brass instrument you could spend an evening practising with the Glenorchy brass band (they are good).
simmad
5-Nov-2015
11:14:54 AM
Second vote for Rysavy Ridge with the bonus that the descent is absolutely gorgeous and as much fun as the climbing up.

pedro.c
5-Nov-2015
8:54:40 PM

We flew down to Melbourne with piles of gear and hired a wicked camper Easter last year. Ours wasn't bad. I asked for something without bongs and boobs since I was piling the family in it. Maybe that's why they didn't give us one of the many, many shite boxes piled up around the yard.

We were in Tassi last January. Hillwood was OK, the walk out to Totem pole pretty cool - you can scramble down a goat track at the end and check out seals by the water, Parrot Shelf in the Tasman Penninsula (another good walk in), Climbed some old grade 14 on Organ Pipes looking over Hobart. Camping by White Water Wall in Freycinet was a great wind down, 2 minutes from the rock and plenty of climbing that fits your requirements but you won't be able to camp there in a hired vehicle (under your hire agreement).

Climboholic
6-Nov-2015
3:03:28 PM
I'm going back for the third time in early Jan.

+1 for Mt Wellington, Tasman Penninsula and Freycinet.

DON'T GO TO MONA! All the locals rave about it because because they want to believe Hobart is trendy and progressive, but it is literal crap (I saw movies of people pooing and a machine that recreated the digestion process that smelt like stomach acid). There's too much good outdoors stuff to do in Tassie to waste a day there (I was pretty annoyed that they tricked me into paying the subtantial entry fee).

kieranl
6-Nov-2015
4:58:52 PM
On 6/11/2015 Climboholic wrote:
>I'm going back for the third time in early Jan.
>
>+1 for Mt Wellington, Tasman Penninsula and Freycinet.
>
>DON'T GO TO MONA! All the locals rave about it because because they want
>to believe Hobart is trendy and progressive, but it is literal crap (I
>saw movies of people pooing and a machine that recreated the digestion
>process that smelt like stomach acid). There's too much good outdoors stuff
>to do in Tassie to waste a day there (I was pretty annoyed that they tricked
>me into paying the subtantial entry fee).
>
>
I guess you won't be going to the Gilbert and George retrospective then...
Tastrad
9-Nov-2015
1:13:00 PM
All the info you need is in Climb Tasmania, the selected best climbs to tassie. See climbtasmania.com.au
cheers and have a great holiday
widewetandslippery
9-Nov-2015
1:36:48 PM
His book is pretty bloody good.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
10-Nov-2015
10:00:01 AM
On 4/11/2015 widewetandslippery wrote:
>Go to Port Arthur and ask for a signed Martin Bryant poster (snip)

... Your humour cracks me up WW&S.
;-)

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints