HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Arapiles Central Gully Right (General) Preludes Wall [ Arapiles Guide | Arapiles Images ] 

Topic Date User
Loose blocks on Interlude (18), left of Preludes 11-Oct-2015 At 11:03:24 AM duglash
http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/arapiles/central-gully-right/route/12895891

I did this route yesterday and, while the climbing is quite good I wouldn't do it again or recommend it to others due to the loose blocks on it.

There's a large block about halfway up that I didn't put gear behind as it was hollow sounding - this makes it a bit runout and I'm worried that less experienced leaders - which frequent this area in summer - will put gear behind it and shock load it. At the topout I had placed a cam under the summit block. When I pulled around it I realised that it was a massive detached block, already angled over the cliff edge, and reached back and unclipped my cam. There's a shrub growing behind it and it will probably go by itself one day.

I found the top pretty desperate as I wasn't 100% confident in the gear and you'd hit the ledge on ropestretch - you could do it in two pitches to alleviate this of course.

I know it's people's own responsibility to learn not to put gear behind loose blocks but just thought I'd put out a general heads up as the blocks haven't been mentioned on thecrag or probably the new guidebook.

I did the route with Abby Watkins who was also concerned enough about the blocks that she warned some people off the route who were about to start up it.

Cheers,
Douglas

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints