HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Hiking and climbing in Switzerland
Catpower
18-May-2014
1:21:40 PM
We will have around 10 days in Switzerland this July, with our 8 month old in tow. We will probably head to the Grindelwald and Bernese Oberland region. There are many hikes to do but any recommendations appreciated (being mindful we will have infant). We may also hire a guide to do some climbing (easy stuff) - if anyone has any advice re areas that would also be much appreciated. Thanks!
PThomson
19-May-2014
8:55:19 AM
G'day,

I'm heading over in June to do some climbing (with a few "lofty" extreme climbing goals), and have the current climbing guide for the Bernese Oberland (the guide is called ExtremWest). I can give you a link to where I purchased the guide from, or can maybe give you an overview of some areas if you want.

I don't know much about the hiking there.

Regards,

-Paul
martym
19-May-2014
9:30:14 AM
I think he means hire a human guide - as they will need to swap shifts taking care of bub...
Catpower
19-May-2014
9:58:40 AM
Thanks...yes we would definitely need a human guide and most probably single pitch stuff. Switzerland sounds quite expensive if not camping...
martym
19-May-2014
11:56:03 AM
On 19/05/2014 Catpower wrote:
>Thanks...yes we would definitely need a human guide and most probably single
>pitch stuff. Switzerland sounds quite expensive if not camping...

Yeah it is. Someone on this forum was having a dig claiming it's not.. but it is. don't listen to em!
Of course, it's very safe, very modern and you are travelling through some of europes most complex mountain ranges... so that might have something to do with it...

If your bub is fine in a baby carrier - you should be able to get some spectacular walks done, there are so many options.. though the weather can be quite changeable (see mountains comment) so be sure to have an umbrella & warm stuff at all times.

We swapped child minding / climbing time in the Dolomites (though we were there with friends and family) but it was totally workable.
Teaming up with another climbing couple would probably be your easiest option.

Have fun!

sbm
19-May-2014
1:25:29 PM
Switzerland is of course really expensive, but remember Australia ain't cheap either so I think it was less of a shock to me then it might be for someone from eg the US. I stayed with friends a bit which helped a lot.

Check out the Schwarzhorn which is a peak above Grindelwald with excellent views and some exposure. I went up the via ferrata and down the hiking route, which was a bit steep and loose (and with bonus snow patches for fun) but hopefully doable with a baby. The gondola ride from the valley floor is expensive so I caught a bus up to the Grosse Schedegg pass.

http://huckanddyno.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/bern-and-the-berner-oberland/

Also there's another peak called Tsuggen or something which looked good. There's also a hiking track around the green fields at the base of the Eiger which my friends liked.

Edit: it's Tschuggen and the Lauberhorn is on the same ridge. The Eiger base hike is called the Eiger Trail.
Catpower
29-May-2014
7:04:58 PM
Thanks all for useful info - much appreciated.

There are 7 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints