HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Arapiles (General) (General) (General) [ Arapiles Guide | Arapiles Images ] 

Author
Natimuk locals.......... :)
darkpromenade
11-Apr-2013
7:29:21 AM
Hi,

Could someone give me the local view of the weather at the Mount this weekend?

I've read the BOM report (early showers Saturday, showers Sunday) and want to know if, in your opinion, it's worth coming up?

If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free!

(I've never bolted, or de-bolted a route FYI) ;)

Eduardo Slabofvic
11-Apr-2013
12:32:23 PM
It's total crap at this time of the year. Stay away. Go to an indoor gym instead
Darkpromenade
11-Apr-2013
1:01:07 PM
Plastic is sooooo 1996
martym
11-Apr-2013
2:02:48 PM
I reckon the BOM guys ask someone locally... I don't think they just make it up - they may get it wrong, but I'm pretty sure they'd have an office nearby don't you?

ambyeok
11-Apr-2013
2:25:22 PM
The point is... what does "early showers Saturday, showers Sunday" mean at Arapiles? I can tell you that 2 or 3 years back it meant climbing was all on. Don't know what it means these days... locals?

ajfclark
11-Apr-2013
2:40:38 PM
It means you might get rained on a little. Last Tuesday I headed on on a similar forecast and climbed from about midday (when it cleared up) till 5pm or so when Doug got rained on as he finished Quisling.

Fortunately for me, he rapped back over the route rather than making me clean it in the rain. Still, got half a dozen pitches or so done.
darkpromenade
11-Apr-2013
3:40:54 PM
So the weekend is unlikely to be a right-off........... cheers.

A busy schedule has meant this trip has been booked for 4 months and I'd hate to back out now.

Snacks
11-Apr-2013
3:47:13 PM
You want a subjective probability on the probability of the weather report being wrong at Arapiles...

If your decision will be decided by vote then...

+1 for sunshine

Hope that helps

Miguel75
11-Apr-2013
3:48:03 PM
On 11/04/2013 darkpromenade wrote:
>So the weekend is unlikely to be a right-off........... cheers.
>
>A busy schedule has meant this trip has been booked for 4 months and I'd
>hate to back out now.

Giddy-up buddy. Go and have fun; worst case Araps might be wet, Gramps may be dry...

Don't forget a TR;)

Eduardo Slabofvic
11-Apr-2013
4:07:46 PM
On 11/04/2013 ambyeok wrote:
>The point is... what does "early showers Saturday, showers Sunday" mean
>at Arapiles?

It means you got a run with the Rams.
Dave J
11-Apr-2013
4:35:40 PM
On 11/04/2013 ambyeok wrote:
>The point is... what does "early showers Saturday, showers Sunday" mean
>at Arapiles? I can tell you that 2 or 3 years back it meant climbing was
>all on. Don't know what it means these days... locals?

It means that the conditions monday, tuesday, wednesday will be excellent.

Sabu
11-Apr-2013
4:47:48 PM
For the most part you can find a dry spot at Araps even if it is raining a little. Worst case is just hang at the pines which is still better than being in melbourne!
Wendy
11-Apr-2013
7:47:17 PM
Keep an eye on this: http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/wimmera/natimuk/detailed-forecast

I reckon it will be fine. If it's the only weekend you've got in the foreseeable future, I'd certainly not cancel on that forecast. it was forecast for 10-20 ml the other week and we got 2.8. It will be warm, even I can tolerate intermittant drizzle in that and there's plenty of stuff that is quick drying or partially sheltered. There's even a thread or 3 on here about places you can clim in the rain with a very useful list on at least one of them that I think WIll put together. M9 will drag it up for you if he's bored.
Darkpromenade
11-Apr-2013
8:59:38 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all the info and encouragement!

Having checked in with my buddy the trip is on!

Like someone said, if its terrible at the Mount we can always try somewhere in the Gramps, and regardless, it's definitely about getting away for me at the moment!

And a TR could possibly be on :)

Darkpromenade
11-Apr-2013
9:02:06 PM
Thnx for the link Wendy. Saturday looks like it will be totally ok. Sunday is a bit dodgy........
Darkpromenade
14-Apr-2013
6:02:18 PM
Weather was perfect!

A few spots on Saturday and apparently it rained last night (I slept through it). This morning was sunny, with mostly blue skies. Clouded over at lunchtime but we were on our way back home by then.

Great weekend!
gfdonc
15-Apr-2013
8:58:57 AM
Yep, for once the BOM got it wrong and weather.com.au was even a little pessimistic. Lovely climbing weather even though we had a few spots of rain while on Saracen on Saturday.

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints