Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All TAS (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Best time to visit Tasmania for climbing
SH-on-tour
10-Jan-2013
3:12:41 AM
Hi there

I am looking to travel to visit friends in Tasmania in March - is this a good time to go climbing weather wise- if not what would be the best time to visit Tas to go climbing? Looking to do some multi pitch and single pitch trad and sport. Its our first time to visit the area for climbing - and though we'll be visiting friends we would spend a considerable amount of time outdoors if its possible.

Hope everyone is safe and well after the fires over there

Thanks in advance

Doug
10-Jan-2013
7:15:12 AM
January/February is best, but March is usually pretty good too.
Hobart has its second lowest rainfall in March (also the case for Launceston). Here are direct links to the bureau's monthly weather stats:
For Hobart - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_094029.shtml
For Launceston - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_091049.shtml

Many of the tourists have gone by March so it's a lot quieter. Much better for hiking generally by then as well, if that is something you'd like to do while you're here. Most of the wildflowers have disappeared too by then, but they are at their best in December anyway.

Cheers

Doug

P.S.: New track network on Mt Wellington should be largely completed by then, so you will easily be able to find routes! There's a free online guide to much of the climbing in Tassie on thesarvo: http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Tasmania
and here's a direct link to the Mt Wellington guide:
http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Mt+Wellington+Guide
SH-on-tour
10-Jan-2013
9:38:11 PM
Hi Doug

Thank you for you reply and all of the information, its really useful for us. Re: March, this is great news- so I think that I'm going to go ahead and book flights. We'll do some hiking as well as climbing. We aim to climb mainly in Launceston but try and visit as many of the other areas as possible.

Thanks again,

X

MrsM10iswhereitsat.
11-Jan-2013
3:36:40 PM
On 10/01/2013 SH-on-tour wrote:
>Hi there
>
>I am looking to travel to visit friends in Tasmania in March - is this
>a good time to go climbing weather wise- if not what would be the best
>time to visit Tas to go climbing? Looking to do some multi pitch and single
>pitch trad and sport. Its our first time to visit the area for climbing
>- and though we'll be visiting friends we would spend a considerable amount
>of time outdoors if its possible.
>
>Hope everyone is safe and well after the fires over there
>
>Thanks in advance

Yoo hoo Mz SH-on-tour. You might already know this, but in case you don't, I read somewhere once a quote from a well respected venerable elderly climber, about climbing and weather.
He has an enviable record of first ascents to his credit and said something along the lines of;
"If you wait for the weather, you will climb jack-shit".
Even though he spoke in american-speak I take that to mean that you are better off attempting to do what you want to do, and if necessary taking suitable harden-up cement pills with you!
This approach has worked for me and Derek my M10 love.
SH-on-tour
20-Jan-2013
10:18:50 PM
Understand this very well as we come from somewhere where it rains all the time. Very excited to visit Tas rock x

There are 5 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints