Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Topic Date User
Rings on 9-Aug-2012 At 9:56:46 PM ChuckNorris

Second try at getting this thread back to something relevant....

I raised the above anecdote cos I thought it ironic that all this shit is going on when I have had personal experience of (inadvertently) retroing a Warwick Baird route. Also after learning the full facts of the FA (First Ascent) I still hold the belief that my FA (Failed Attempt) was in way better style than his and gives me a moral superiority over him.

Warwick drove from Sydney for a 2 day weekend at moonarie to tell me he had already climbed the worst route on the Great Wall (although had never bothered to write it up for 8 years (probably cos he was embarrassed) despite doing so for a couple of other notable routes in the meantime???), and he spent 40 hours in a car to tell me that he wanted the bolts chopped on this route he never bothered to record.

This was in '89 and I was only 18 (and kind of impressionable) when this all happened. It taught me:
-the previous generation of climbers are probably egotistical twats
-the whole notion of the first ascentionist having a right over a piece of rock is a load of bollocks.

In summary, despite how it pains me to say this, and despite there are a few of his actions that I disagree with, I recon that simey is on the money.

The problem is it is easier to think you are a thinker rather than actually think in these times, and these thinky thinkers can afford cheap chinese drills.

BTW: I am on the side of thinking (or at least I think I think that) that these bolts on Exhibition wall are pointless, stupid and an insult to all the egotistical twats that have come before us.

PS. if you are too dumb to interpret the last sentence "I think the bolts on ExWall should be removed"....and yes I have climbed there.

There are 383 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints