Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Buffalo Gorge North Side North Wall [ Gorge Guide ] 

Author
Vodaphone coverage on north wall Mt Buffalo?
stokedsean
10-Nov-2011
2:06:34 PM
Does anyone know if a coupla outta-towners with vodaphone as telephone provider will be able to simultaneously update a podcast, facebook, twitter and climbing tick websites, and send sponsors realtime crux photos (LOL actually a coupla kooks may want to call our wives) while climbing on the north wall for a coupla days?

Thx
Sean
HumphreyG
10-Nov-2011
2:18:31 PM
You mean you're not planning on using the Mick Dundee bullroarer option???
patto
10-Nov-2011
2:26:07 PM
Ha Vodaphone coverage!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
10-Nov-2011
2:46:27 PM
Telstra coverage can be very iffy there.
Telstra often has greater coverage in regional areas than their competitors...
patto
10-Nov-2011
2:48:47 PM
It costs so little to grab a Telstra SIM it make little sense trying to do it any other way.
citationx
10-Nov-2011
3:57:33 PM
I have received vodafail coverage when at the ... lodgey.. .thing... the CHALET!
So i'm assuming* that you'll probably get some from bright on the north wall....

*assuming, not guaranteeing ;-) (the chalet is the only place i've ever had vodafail coverage on mt buff buff proper)
stokedsean
10-Nov-2011
4:17:54 PM
thanks for the beta. we gotta be 'linked in' on our adventures these days. LOL.

Organ Pipe
10-Nov-2011
4:48:27 PM
I've observed calls from both Telstra and Optus iPhones on Big Grassy, and higher pitches of Ozy.

I've emailed photos over 3G on my Optus iPhone from the end of the Pontooth pitch.

Sorry to hear you have Vodaphone :(

MrsM10iswhereitsat.
10-Nov-2011
5:24:00 PM
On 10/11/2011 Mr stokedsean wrote:
>(LOL actually a coupla kooks may want to call our wives) while climbing on the
>north wall for a coupla days?
>
Dearie me. That would be a great concern to Derek my M10 love, if a kook came calling round to see me while he was out climbing.

Vodaphone? Probably not the best option, particularly low on the climb if you are doing Ozymandias.

On 10/11/2011 Mr Organ Pipe wrote:
>end of the Pontooth pitch

What is a Pontooth Mr O.P?
I think what you are referring to, many people describe as the Fang, if you mean the end of the guidebook 8th pitch, ie the one that leads up the left side of the next major feature above the Gledhill Bivy?

MisterGribble
10-Nov-2011
9:37:32 PM
The world is shrinking.
You'll be able to call home from the top of Everest next!
dalai
10-Nov-2011
11:19:04 PM
Too late MisterGribble... Already can!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/internet-reaches-everest-summit/story-e6frfrnr-1225945317239

"Internet reaches Everest summit
October 29, 2010 7:22PM
3G internet set to reach Mount Everest
Replaces satellite phone coverage
Telecom services cover only a third of Nepal

CLIMBERS at the top of Mount Everest, the world's highest peak, will now be able to make video calls and surf the internet on their mobile phones, a Nepalese telecom group claims.

Ncell, a subsidiary of Swedish phone giant TeliaSonera, said it had set up a high-speed third-generation (3G) phone base station at an altitude of 5200m near Gorakshep village in the Everest region.

"Today we made the (world's) highest video call from Mount Everest base camp successfully. The coverage of the network will reach up to the peak of the Everest," Ncell Nepal chief Pasi Koistinen told reporters in Kathmandu."

Continues...

MisterGribble
11-Nov-2011
7:32:36 AM
They put a phone box on the summit, how did they do that?
How do the climbers get their fingers in the dial with those thick gloves on?
How do they get the coins in the slot?
It's too much
marky
11-Nov-2011
10:18:50 AM
I believe that Kenton Cool last everest season who being sponsored by Samsung made a 3G phone call from the summit of Everest thus being the first to do so.....
minerva
11-Nov-2011
11:33:55 AM

Hi Sean

I have vodafone and was on the north wall a few weekends ago and no signal. my partner had telstra and I think it was fine.

cheers
FC
11-Nov-2011
12:27:04 PM
I had enough bars of reception on Big Grassy earlier this year to check the weather forecast online and send a few texts, but I was with optus and even then only had a 2-3 bars. If in doubt buy a Telstra sim card, especially if you ever have any intention of climbing in Tassie!!!
Fish Boy
11-Nov-2011
12:32:25 PM
Mine worked

grantoss
11-Nov-2011
2:43:33 PM
fark I used to be with voda, was at araps/gramps for 3 weeks over easter with pretty much zero coverage. made for a pretty peaceful holiday but the missus wasnt all that impressed
stokedsean
3-Dec-2011
10:03:39 PM
Thanks for the beta everyone. My partner and I are getting well psyched for the adventure. Will post some photos of the adventure in the near future.

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints