HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Mount Aspiring Logistics
Decoy
28-Oct-2011
10:16:54 AM
Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a bit of info on getting around the Mount Aspiring/Wanaka area?

Me and a mate are heading out to do Mount Aspiring this November. We are planning to walk out down through the Matukituki Valley. The problem is that weren't planning on leaving a car at the trackhead near the Rasberry Hut. Just wondering if anyone knows what our options would be in terms of arranging transport back into Wanaka? Are there transport companies this sort of thing can be arranged with that anyone has used before?

Any help/advice would be great.

vwills
28-Oct-2011
10:29:16 AM
http://www.alpinecoachlines.co.nz/wanaka_trampers_shuttle.html

Thats one of the companies. Have you heard of search engines?
citationx
28-Oct-2011
10:35:54 AM
On 28/10/2011 vwills wrote:
>Thats one of the companies. Have you heard of search engines?

Are they one of those fancy new engines like in Prius cars or something? The new Nissan hybrid engine or something? I tried looking it up on the internet but the cable attached to my computer near poked my eye out so I stopped looking.
Sally
28-Oct-2011
12:14:24 PM
The road end is a popular destination for tourists. You will probably be able to hitch out if you get there early enough in the afternoon.

Robb
28-Oct-2011
12:43:12 PM
from memory there are buses every day to raspbery flat from wanaka. if you stay at hostel in wanaka they should be able to help you out too
Sally
28-Oct-2011
1:46:30 PM
http://www.doc.govt.nz/footer-links/contact-us/office-by-name/?mode=details&office=1301

Dept of Conservation info office.
Search the doc site for anything in the park.

Sometimes hard to find stuff but all sorts of hidden gems on Doc site once you start searching such as old backcountry huts, a list of campsites, some are free even.
dmnz
28-Oct-2011
11:18:38 PM
Like Sally says, won't be hard to hitch out that time of year.

ChuckNorris
29-Oct-2011
6:56:22 AM
we got a taxi. can't remember the $ but between a few of us wasn't too bad.

cruze
29-Oct-2011
7:19:46 AM
It seems some posters are offering suggestions on how to get TO Raspberry Flat but you are interested in working out how to get OUT. Bit different. Presumably you don't know exactly when you will finish and have the trip in sorted.

Maybe have a chat to anybody you meet on the way out (eg on the trail or at Aspiring Hut) and ask for a lift. Short of that the Rob Roy Track is very popular with day trippers so there should be even more people to meet near the carpark. Maybe have a wash in the river beforehand...

When are you heading down? I am going down from ChCh next Friday for a week with my wife - if the deep low in the Southern Ocean decides to get the hell out of the way and wake room for the High sitting over The Bite.
Beryllium
29-Oct-2011
7:50:43 AM
Hi Decoy, there is a shuttle bus which runs from Raspberry flats back to Wanaka town centre. You must book a seat in advance telling them which day you intend on arriving at Rasberry flats. This is difficult to do as it is hard to predict the weather while you're on the mountain and whether you will end up at pick up point on day/time you intend to. From memory, there are 2 pickup times...the number for this shuttle bus can be obtained from DOC.

Alternatively, you can make arrangements with a cab.
Decoy
29-Oct-2011
9:56:18 AM
Thanks for all the help/advice/links, guys!

I haven't been down to that area before so wasn't sure how much tourist traffic there would be...sounds like quite a bit from all the posts.

Cruze - We're going to be there from the 12th of Nov for 10days. I'd be interested to hear about the conditions when you get back from your trip. You're right about my concerns that I wouldn't know exactly when we may finish. Its good to know that there is the option of hitching out if the bus option falls through.

Cheers.

cruze
12-Nov-2011
2:10:49 PM
Hey Decoy, not sure if you have already left but we just got back to ChCh from our trip. FYI here are the conditions that we had:

We walked in from Raspberry Flat a week ago via French Ridge and the Quarterdeck in the soft snow (both above and below our feet - up to waist deep - snow from 700m altitude and continuing to fall) and crossed the Bonar Glacier to Colin Todd in full whiteout and occasional snow. Two 10 hour days through soft snow were very tiring.

A couple of rest days later (one good weather but knackered and one bad weather) and the forecast was looking good despite the recent snow and a day of sun and a highish freezing level of 2600m - "narrow ridge of high pressure followed by a brief shower in the afternoon falling as snow to 2400m".

We set off at 1:20 am to beat the afternoon shower and ended up getting to the summit via the Ramp in a snowstorm which started at about 9 am (about the time we summited) and descending back down the ramp through the snowstorm and near whiteout taking 16 hours round trip to get back to the hut with snow to 1700m. So not "brief", "afternoon" or "2400m".

Pitching the ramp and top third of the ridge then pitching/simulclimbing all the way back down because of the wind and quality of ice/riming. Snow/ice the whole way to the summit from the hut including the rock step, with substantial riming of the ridge. The ramp had actually firmed up during the day except of the 5 cm of fresh powder over the top.

Pretty unnerving in storm but we held it together. Zero view from the summit. Climbed Rolling Pin the next day in stunning weather to get some idea of the view.

Walked out in the rain and driving wind via Bevan col yesterday which thankfully had the waterfalls and guts filled in with av debris.

Full winter Mt Aspiring trip in late Spring!!

NW buttress route covered in snow but a group did go up that way.

Hope you have a good one.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints