HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
climbing in Japan

spiinal
30-Sep-2011
8:10:48 AM
Hi,
I'm going cycling in Japan for five weeks over December/January and am wondering about the possibility of visiting some crags whilst there. Can anyone recommend somewhere to visit in central and Western Honshu over Winter? I'm also interested in gear hire (was going to take shoes and harness), Japanese grading system(!) and any English speaking online forums with info on climbing in Japan.

cheers,
Matt

aarond
30-Sep-2011
9:31:22 AM
Japan uses US grades.
Ive only looked into http://www.ogawayama.com/ but never been there, its meant to be pretty good from what ive read..

there's a heap of outdoor stores between Shibuya and Harajuku i think they would have to have some kinda of info on gear hire.

id be interested to know where you go and how it goes, im hoping to move there in 12 months and dont wanna not climb.
PDRM
30-Sep-2011
10:03:14 AM
I've got a friend and colleague who lives and climbs in japan. PM me and I'll put you in touch if you'd like.

Paul

spiinal
30-Sep-2011
6:17:17 PM
ahahhh! Thanks for that link aarond.
technogeekery
13-Oct-2011
6:42:23 PM
I've been living & climbing in Tokyo for the last 3 years. Some great climbing around, and that link to Ogawayama is the premier climbing area in the region. But the campsite is closed in Dec - you can still camp there, but you won't be able to get your car all the way into the site. And it will be very cold, and perhaps snowed in - wouldn't recommend it in Dec. Check out www.tokyoclimbing.com for some pretty basic guidelines to climbing in the area. The two cliffs that are decent in winter are Yugawara and Jogasaki, they will be cold but climbable year round. Joyama is also excellent.

There is also a reasonably active facebook group called Rock Climbing Japan - join this and post up asking for partners. You won't be able to hire gear, so bringing all your own personal gear then relying on locals for rack, ropes, beta on locations etc is the way to go.

If you don't have any luck with the above, email me, and I'll hook you up with my local partner. Unfortunately I'll be returning to Sydney in Nov so won't be able to show you around myself.

spiinal
13-Oct-2011
7:06:33 PM
Thanks so much technogeekery. Do you know anything about climbing at Eboshi?
technogeekery
17-Oct-2011
1:08:51 PM
nope, never heard of it.

TG

aarond
3-Nov-2011
4:01:06 PM
just found this blog while daydreaming at work about climbing in japan.
http://i-cjw.com/
Why am i sitting here right now and not there?!?!?!
Duncan
4-Nov-2011
7:57:03 AM
I'm currently sitting next to a guide from Tokyo. PM if you'd like his contact details.

spiinal
4-Nov-2011
10:19:50 PM
On 3/11/2011 aarond wrote:
>just found this blog while daydreaming at work about climbing in japan.
>http://i-cjw.com/
>Why am i sitting here right now and not there?!?!?!

Ahhh! I should have got a one way ticket!

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints