Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 36
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
wee jasper climbing
tariadamar
19-Sep-2011
10:45:54 AM
ok so i am going back down to wee jasper to do some caving. i have been here before and got maps of the caves. however i was wondering if their is any fun climbs near by. also wonder if some one could point out exactly where the entrance to the dip cave number 4 extentsion is also known as the gong chamber. i had a look for it last time but didn't find it as their back berries and thistels were very thick. any help would be great. thanks.
grangrump
19-Sep-2011
11:42:35 AM
Limited potential e.g. up Micalong creek??
No recorded climbs that I have heard of.

cruze
19-Sep-2011
12:11:20 PM
Devil's punchbowl? Almost 20 years since I was there so could be completely wrong.

deadbudgy
19-Sep-2011
12:58:59 PM
Was there a few months ago camping with work mates. I took my climbing gear with the same ideas as you but all I found was some nice limestone bouldering on some pillars near the entrance to the Punchbowl. The blackberries are a really bad. I tore myself up pretty bad looking for stuff to climb. The bits I did do were fun but not really worth the pain

rodw
19-Sep-2011
1:19:49 PM
I havent been there for years but doubt the gong extension entrance is over grown....its on the down side of the hill towards the river...from memory a short abseil in, don't quote me on that though as it been many a year.

Were the main entrances are head down and around the hill...there would have to be some sort of worn track to it...well there used to be anyway.
tariadamar
19-Sep-2011
1:32:21 PM
no the hill was very very over grown you could barely see the main parth to the top two holes. the thisles were very bad.

deadbudgy
19-Sep-2011
1:53:01 PM
The blackberries are really epic and completely out of control
tariadamar
19-Sep-2011
2:29:19 PM
yeah i was last their on the june long weekend and had to attack some black berries to get to a tree to anchor. it is not fun. i wish the rfs would come through and do some back burning to make it easy for me.

rodw
19-Sep-2011
2:43:29 PM
Mind you last time I was there in a drought so things a bit different obviously now.

Garrath
19-Sep-2011
6:23:54 PM
If you keep on walking around the hill from Punchbowl cave you will find a small cliff that we used to abseil on when I was in Scouts. From memory (25 years ago) it is a good 25 metres high and overhanging in places.

nmonteith
19-Sep-2011
6:35:32 PM
On 19/09/2011 Garrath wrote:
>From memory
>(25 years ago) it is a good 25 metres high and overhanging in places.

So it's actually 3m high and made of slabby mud then. :-)

rodw
19-Sep-2011
7:54:29 PM
Nah but i know the one your talking about..its very chossy from a climbing point of view

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19-Sep-2011
8:16:40 PM
There is untouched (as far as I know), climbing to be done around the shores of Lake Burrinjuck, on limestone.

I recall a thread on Chockstone a fair while ago dealing with potential deep water soloing of some of it...

I have personally laid eyes on a spur of limestone in the distance, that dropped into the water on the eastern shore of the lake, that looked at least two pitches in length, but I was looking for new caving at the time in other limestone outcrops, and did not explore that spur any closer.

Post edit:
Found the thread but it doesn't contain much further info...
tariadamar
19-Sep-2011
9:15:42 PM
i actually saw these when i first went their when the dam was almost empty and have seen them since they are on the way to carnies caves from weejasper(well the ones i am thinking of) they would be on the left hand side of the river(dam) looking west. and one last question the dog leg cave where is it is it the one closest to the camp ground near the punchbowl system with like a couple of large log/trees around the front.

thanks for all the info so far guys it really is helping. also does anyone know of where their are other caves down their i could get into

rodw
19-Sep-2011
9:21:54 PM
On 19/09/2011 tariadamar wrote:
> and one last question the dog leg cave where is it is it
>the one closest to the camp ground near the punchbowl system with like
>a couple of large log/trees around the front.

That's the one...its also has an entrance halfway along through a daylight hole that you climb up through.....good way to do the cave is enter the entrance near the camp ground...go to the end beach...then exit the daylight hole halfway along.....by that stage you'll be sick of crawling on your belly and want out
tariadamar
19-Sep-2011
9:43:17 PM
thought it was just last time was after 3 weeks of rain and the cave was full to the top with water. so we couldn't go in. have to have a look this time maby a bit more luck.

Garrath
19-Sep-2011
9:52:07 PM
It took maybe 6 years of caving at WJ to finally get the opportunity to get through the sandpit in Dogleg. Damn that was a lot if diggin.
One Day Hero
19-Sep-2011
9:54:26 PM
On 19/09/2011 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>There is untouched (as far as I know), climbing to be done around the shores
>of Lake Burrinjuck, on limestone.
>
Tony Barten, Andrew Bull et al put up a bunch of routes in the early 90's (with the aid of a tinnie)......I saw a guide to it somewhere, but can't remember where. About a dozen bolted routes up to 26.

Apparently some of the routes are pretty good, but I'd heard good things about Michelago as well...........lets just say that Michelago isn't exactly the australian Ceuse.
hipdos
19-Sep-2011
10:01:57 PM
On 19/09/2011 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:

>Post edit:
>Found the thread but it doesn't contain much further info...

Did Val and Megs get scared off by the recent aggressive tone on Chockstone?

rodw
19-Sep-2011
10:22:37 PM
On 19/09/2011 Garrath wrote:
>It took maybe 6 years of caving at WJ to finally get the opportunity to
>get through the sandpit in Dogleg. Damn that was a lot if diggin.

I've done it twice...once in the big dry walked to it....the second time it was a full swim ...it much more fun cave when ya swimming the final part...though it is a bit could....never had to dig...guess I was lucky.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 36
There are 36 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints