Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
New Guide out - Sport Climbing in Blueys
Mr Poopypants
18-Apr-2011
10:52:37 PM
Hi Folks

Simon Carter's new "Blue Mountains: Selected Sport Climbs 2011" is now out. (Yes, this is a bit of a plug - but a new book is a bit of an event)

It's obviously aimed at the traveller who doesn't want to fork out for the big book but I think it has an appeal for people like me who often wish they had carted the big book in but don't want to hoik the weight about. It's more the size of an old style guide book. Much more manageable in that day pack you take out with only draws, rope, shoes, chalk and diet pills.

New photo's, top notch reproduction, it'll be interesting to see what people think.

For what it's worth, my main observation is that there are relatively few "sports crags" in the mts. (11 listed) and even fewer lower grade sports routes, at those crags.

Every body whinges about new guides but I suspect that we all just moan for a while then go and buy them, anyway. Get a copy and stick your opinion here. (You, too, Martin ;-)

G.

nmonteith
18-Apr-2011
11:08:36 PM
I really like it. Quite a few new photos, and similar (bur clearer!) layout to the main guide.

Gavo
18-Apr-2011
11:42:11 PM
Can I trial a free copy? Ill recommend it to all my friends :D
Mr Poopypants
19-Apr-2011
7:29:37 AM
Yeah, I agree. I think the layout is much easier to read and looks really fresh. But then again, I just got glasses for the first time!
Now we just need the app, eh Simon?

G.
pharmamatt
19-Apr-2011
8:08:14 AM
How much?

tnd
19-Apr-2011
8:47:38 AM
On 19/04/2011 pharmamatt wrote:
>How much?

$29.95 + $1 extra so Mr Poopypants and I can get 50c per copy extra for all our new routes, which are so overbolted it's cost us a fortune.
onsight
19-Apr-2011
11:00:00 AM
Thanks Mr Poopypants!

The new layout was possible because we didn't have to pack the information in as tightly as in the more comprehensive 2010 book, so we could use a two-column format and a slightly larger font. I agree makes it a bit easier to read. Not sure how you could do that with the comprehensive book without turning it into something resembling a brick unfortunately.

There's more info and sample layouts here and a few words about it on my blog here.

Cheers.
hipdos
19-Apr-2011
12:35:01 PM
You left out Boganville. That's no fun.
Mr Poopypants
19-Apr-2011
7:59:30 PM
Hey TND

Thought you wrote 50c per bolt, got carried away bolting the track down to Shipley. Damn.

Still think you could hang around The Glen and just wait for one of those travelling Euro dudes to put theirs on a rock while trying to get the sponsorship shot ... just grab it and run, noone can run fast in velcro slippers.

Seriously though, the more I look at it the more I like it. Some really cool photos - hasn't Kirsty got big muscles????

PP

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints