HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
europe climbing in october- where to go
sliianna
30-Jun-2010
7:12:00 PM
hey all,
i will be stopping in europe in october- ive never climbed in europe before. what areas are best to climb in october? i was looking at spain maybe bc i think its starting to get cold there..

any suggestions much appreciated:)
turtlespit
30-Jun-2010
7:33:46 PM
There's climbing near Malaga in Southern Spain, and in October the average high is still 23C. A British company runs courses there, so you may want to email them for general info about the area - http://www.rockclimbingcompany.co.uk/Climbing_Outside_Spain.html (disclaimer: I've never actually climbed around there - just seen the information online).

If you feel like gambling, you could visit the UK in October. Weather is the gamble part of course, but gritstone friction is better at cooler temperatures.

Have fun. :)

jgoding
2-Jul-2010
6:59:06 AM
Arco in Italy is still quite nice at that time of year.
You can also get some ok weather for Gorge Du Tarn and Marsaille (Calanque) in France which are both super sweet spots.
Chockstone Moderator
Online Now
2-Jul-2010
8:08:24 AM
On 30/06/2010 at 6:50:25 PM sliianna started an identical (duplicate) thread. I have now deleted it and copied the one reply it had to here.

On 30/06/2010 at 7:23:57 PM Wendy wrote:
>October should be great for anything mediteranean - non alpine spain included.

mankrambler
2-Jul-2010
8:49:59 AM
I just got back from a week in Sicily. Should still be warm enough in october, and awesome climbing there. Not crowded. Walk to beach from crag. big trad to small sport crags everywhere.
widewetandslippery
2-Jul-2010
9:09:20 AM
In a recent I think Vertical mag there was an article about a big sea cliff in Sicily 300m+?. Did you go there?

mankrambler
2-Jul-2010
7:39:32 PM
yes, there are plenty of crags much taller than 300m just back from the coastline in Sicily. We were at San Vito lo Capo, about an hour from Palermo airport, and it has huge variety in a small area. Most of the big routes require some natural pro, but there are many sport crags around. Only the most accessible crags are bolted, so room for lots of development, but there is loads to do anyway. The climbing is superb, and nearby swimming in perfect blue water! Good guidebook in English available: "Roccia di sole"
http://www.freeclimbinginsicily.it/FCiS/index.php
sliianna
20-Jul-2010
1:09:03 PM
im going to go to spain.. now jst trying to decide WHERE in spain! so many areas...
stable weather in october? rodellar, andalucia (el churro etc) ??

nmonteith
20-Jul-2010
1:13:17 PM
Heaps of great places in Spain - Rodellar, Siurana, Terradets, Monstant, Monserrat, Sella - the list is huge. The good thing is that most of these areas are all within a few hours of each other (west and south of Barcelona)

When you get sick of limestone - don't forget Riglos!

sliianna
20-Jul-2010
2:37:33 PM
ive heard that the weather is not as stable in northern spain- anyone got any experience of this?
3 hrs of each other-- car hire?

neil us that pic of riglos? A M A Z I N G

nmonteith
20-Jul-2010
2:56:34 PM
I've only been to Northern Spain in July - and it rained for at least half of the time. Some crags seep, some don't. I climbed almost every day for 6 weeks even with the shitty weather.

freesolo
20-Jul-2010
3:58:45 PM
riglos is great but hard to hook up with random climbers because everything is multipitch and the hostel is pricey.
Jim Titt
20-Jul-2010
10:06:49 PM
Glad you enjoyed San Vito and the climbing there, we´ve spent the last 5 years developing the area and it is great to see it appreciated. In October (8th to 11th) is the San Vito Rock Climbing Festival which has lot´s of things going on, a climbing marathon and free beer!
For loads of info on climbing there and all the new routes (the guide book is essential but very out of date) you should look at http://www.bolt-products.com/ClimbSicily.htm

Jim
Wendy
21-Jul-2010
7:37:25 AM
On 20/07/2010 sliianna wrote:
>im going to go to spain.. now jst trying to decide WHERE in spain! so many
>areas...
>stable weather in october? rodellar, andalucia (el churro etc) ??

Monserrat will by getting snowy by october. I suspect Riglos and Rodeller will be too cold as well - on the theory that if you can climb there in mid summer it's got to get bloody cold towards winter.

El chorro on the other hand should be perfect. there's a few things down the coast from Barcelona that are escaping my memory that should be ok too. I'd stick as south as possible.
ouita
21-Jul-2010
6:39:55 PM
costa blanca region near benidorm would be good for that time of year check out rockfax website (uk guidebook company) for info and good guides to almost all the areas mentioned (some areas are only in local guides) have fun

Paulie
29-Jul-2010
1:12:50 PM
Even in the middle of winter you'll find the temps quite nice (mid 20s), and perfect for cragging.

El Chorro is amazing but a lot of the easier routes are super polished while there are mostly harder grades on the less polished routes. Nice campsite there tho.

If I was going back again I'd just fly straigt into Benidorm/Alicante and hang out in that region: the whole area around Sella through to Calpe is amazing, with tons of crags - more than enough for several months of constant climbing.
rod
29-Jul-2010
8:26:16 PM
sliianna: what time in october? got partners?
martym
30-Jul-2010
4:41:21 AM
We just had a great week at Paklenica in Croatia, cheaper than Spain if that's a bonus?
The campsites are about 2km from the start of the park and the guidebook is pretty decent (2009 in 4 languages, makes for funny Engirsh - imagine www.stuckedstone.org )

Anica Kuk is an awesome 350m cliff that I wish i could spend weeks exploring:

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints