HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Arapiles (General) (General) (General) [ Arapiles Guide | Arapiles Images ] 

Author
recommmended routes at araps for child(who climbs)

contactgav
5-Jul-2010
7:35:17 PM
ladies &gents,
i'm treating my 7 yr old to a trip to Araps and apart from tip toe ridge,
can any of you recommend some routes for the 2 of us to do?
i've been working stupid hours and not been able to spend time with him. so it will be a great weeekend for some quality father son time. which i dearly miss.

he does climb and has gotten up grade 12's on a top rope, obviously routes that are within his reach would be of help.
his height, before you ask is around 1.2metres.

any positive advice would be recommended.

cheers,

rolsen1
5-Jul-2010
7:41:33 PM
Bush Rangers bluff has lots of great climbs for kids, especially around the back, steep and juggy.
Duncan
5-Jul-2010
7:45:51 PM
Will there be someone else to belay you, or do you need easily accessible tops for setting up topropes?

contactgav
5-Jul-2010
8:31:07 PM
do you need easily accessible tops for setting up topropes? YES
Wendy
5-Jul-2010
8:40:12 PM
On 5/07/2010 oldfella wrote:
>do you need easily accessible tops for setting up topropes? YES

that Bushrangers suggestion will be very good then. Nice and sunny if there's any sun going. Charity Buttress but take a very long set up rope, anchors are way back.

West ridge on Mitre Rock for a mini mountaineer style adventure. Cloaca is pretty good for another multipitch option (albiet much shorter), and a little easier than Exodus, which you can bung a toprope on from the top with a little downclimbing you probably won't want your child doing with you. Penny Dreadful only has one hard move (well, grade 10) on it, but take care protecting the traverse in at the start. Ali's all the way to the summit (will get some sun earlier morning) with a explore through to Flinder's lane.

Have fun!

Pat
6-Jul-2010
2:28:57 PM
Have done all Wendy's suggestion with kids the age and grade ability of your son with the exception of Cloaca - (multi pitch with a 7 yo belaying?). We had an adult belaying me on our Alis trip - but it was good fun and the kids loved the Flinder's Lane side trip.

Bush Ranger's is good in winter because of protection from wind and good sun access plus easy top rope set up.
Wendy
6-Jul-2010
8:58:01 PM
On 6/07/2010 Pat wrote:
(multi pitch with a 7 yo belaying?).

I figure if he's already planning to do Tip Toe, he's already got a belay plan ... either someone else or quite possibly just to solo ...

Pat
7-Jul-2010
4:36:32 PM
Fairy Nuff
earwig
7-Jul-2010
7:25:29 PM
On 6/07/2010 Pat wrote:
>multi pitch with a 7 yo belaying?

I climbed with my kids belaying me when they were that age. The important thing was to remember that their belaying was purely ornamental.

contactgav
7-Jul-2010
9:23:17 PM
thanks for all the good info.
just hoping for decent weather and also if his behaviour stays as gold as it has been ever since i mentioned it.
Duncan
7-Jul-2010
9:41:59 PM
There's some good stuff to the left of Little Thor on Dec Crag that gets afternoon sun too.

Phil S
8-Jul-2010
4:32:35 PM
Mmmm - Fairy muff.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints