HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Northwest (General) (General) (General)  

Author
any advice on bouldering near Ballarat

Tee Pee
29-Mar-2010
12:33:05 PM
Just moved to ballarat and i'm hoping theres somewhere closer than the gramps to climb during the week, i'v found all the good bluestone buildings and bridges to climb on but i'm trying to find something real to climb on. I made it to mt beckworth it's kinda cool strange rock a little crumbly but a few more trips should clean up alright.
any advice would be great
Cheers T.P
dalai
29-Mar-2010
1:18:27 PM
I'd suggest sticking to the granite areas. Mt Beckworth, perhaps explore the Mt Cole area and the granite boulders visible north of the Western highway on the way out to Beaufort.

Also areas such as Mt Alexander, Black Hill and Cobaw bouldering would be only around an hour away?

There are also Basalt areas such as Devils Kitchen reasonably close by. But on my one visit to check it out I didn't recall seeing anything worthwhile to boulder or climb...

JimboV10
29-Mar-2010
1:55:07 PM
So now that the Grampians guidebook is out, when can we expect a "Dalai's Choice" guide for the rest of Victoria??

I hear there is potential for development at Camels Hump and allegedly lots of "classics" in the You Yangs, but I am yet to find any!!
dalai
29-Mar-2010
2:04:31 PM
On 29/03/2010 JimboV10 wrote:
>I hear there is potential for development at Camels Hump and allegedly
>lots of "classics" in the You Yangs, but I am yet to find any!!

I wouldn't say potential as most of the Camels problems have been done, and there never were that many problems. Around 100-120 would be my estimate.

You Yangs - it's an aquired taste. Sounds like it's not to your liking... ;-)

phil_nev
29-Mar-2010
2:06:28 PM
100 problems at camels hump? Surely not?!

nmonteith
29-Mar-2010
2:15:42 PM
On 29/03/2010 phil_nev wrote:
>100 problems at camels hump? Surely not?!

Well, if you eliminate holds... :-)
dalai
29-Mar-2010
2:23:42 PM
Spread out across the whole hill... would be close to 100 individual problems. Just did a quick mental check and 120 might have been a little optimistic.

phil_nev
29-Mar-2010
4:19:52 PM
I still dont belive it... I think ill need a tour marty :)

Pat B
29-Mar-2010
8:16:44 PM
On 29/03/2010 Tee Pee wrote:
>Just moved to ballarat and i'm hoping theres somewhere closer than the
>gramps to climb during the week, i'v found all the good bluestone buildings
>and bridges to climb on but i'm trying to find something real to climb
>on. I made it to mt beckworth it's kinda cool strange rock a little crumbly
>but a few more trips should clean up alright.
>any advice would be great
>Cheers T.P
Can come indoors at the WVCC on Tuesday nights, just PM me or otherwise Tee Pee and I'll give you the details
Cheers Pat
martel
30-Mar-2010
1:53:39 PM
Go to ballarat climbing club they meet every tuesday night 7pm at Ballarat Secondary College Barkley St Campus have a few walls and a bouldering room the web site is www.wvcc.com.au .And they do a monthly outdoor climbing trip.

Tee Pee
30-Mar-2010
4:03:10 PM
Sweet, Thanks i'll check it out , tried devils kitchen it better than i thought it would be
Cheers T.P
dalai
30-Mar-2010
10:50:27 PM
You found Devils Kitchen okay? Or did you just have amazingly low expectations?
surfnclimb
31-Mar-2010
6:28:19 PM
On 29/03/2010 phil_nev wrote:
>I still dont belive it... I think ill need a tour marty :)
Yeah me too

Tee Pee
1-Apr-2010
11:27:15 AM
Dalai:
Ha, yer my expectations were real low so i felt alright when i got there and there was at least a few little areas to play around on, i'll try the back of buangor next time looks alright from the pics i've found
dalai
1-Apr-2010
11:39:34 AM
Actually if it's your local - the steep section next to the water hole looked okay. http://www.chockstone.org/DevilsKitchen/SwimmingHole1l.JPG But you would want to do a bit of work flattening the drop zone...
surfnclimb
1-Apr-2010
2:58:02 PM
On 31/03/2010 surfnclimb wrote:
>On 29/03/2010 phil_nev wrote:
>>I still dont belive it... I think ill need a tour marty :)
>Yeah me too

Are you dodging us Dalai?? :-)
Duncan
1-Apr-2010
3:01:38 PM
On 1/04/2010 dalai wrote:
>Actually if it's your local - the steep section next to the water hole
>looked okay. http://www.chockstone.org/DevilsKitchen/SwimmingHole1l.JPG
>But you would want to do a bit of work flattening the drop zone...

If by "okay" you mean "heinous pile of choss", then I agree completely.
dalai
1-Apr-2010
3:51:51 PM
TeePee went even after I warned not to, so only trying to point out the least dodgy bit of rock out there...

surfnclimb - not dodging, just no rush now the camels season is over unless you love leeches. PM me sometime late next spring and will try and organise a tour for you and phil.
surfnclimb
2-Apr-2010
6:26:08 PM

>surfnclimb - not dodging, just no rush now the camels season is over unless
>you love leeches. PM me sometime late next spring and will try and organise
>a tour for you and phil.

Sweet, That would be awesome. I have found some stuff near a little overhang/cave but It would be great to find more.

There are 19 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints