Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
wolgan wedgetail
bradc
15-Jan-2010
10:59:42 AM
a wedgie is patrolling Old Baldy at the moment and swooped a mate seconding on Excalibur a couple of weeks ago, and my partner as he was rapping yesterday. In both cases the eagle is coming within centimetres with talons out, and letting out an eerie cry after is passes. It's a bit late for the breeding season so maybe just territorial behaviour? Another good reason to back up abseils!

wallwombat
15-Jan-2010
11:12:16 AM
Breding season for Wedgies is between April to December but give it a bit of leeway on either end. They generally don't use calenders. We are only two weeks out of December and there could easily be a fledgling in a nest nearby, which would explain the aggressive behaviour.

evanbb
15-Jan-2010
11:16:40 AM
Awesome. I love Wedge-Tails. Bloody monsters.

For those unfamiliar with Old Baldy, one of my favourite bits of rock around, here 'tis.
bradc
15-Jan-2010
11:39:29 AM
yeah, it was a mix of being awe struck and scared. I was tied in at the half way point on the rap and my partner was about 5m above me as it flew in from the west perfectly parallel with the cliff. I was pretty quick to tie in for the first rap to the ground.

The Wolgan was in fine form yesterday, all misty and atmospheric. Also finally got on Dirk, a great climb and a fine way to top off a climb on the upper cliff. Not sure why it got downgraded in the new guide though.
citationx
15-Jan-2010
11:57:39 AM
We were discussing this guy and his aggressive behaviour while we were around the campfire over christmas.
A random german that my partner and I took out to the wolgan got attacked by the same bird as he was downclimbing a slab off the top of old baldy upper (long story - he didn't have his harness so couldn't climb baldy upper itself).
When we finally found the German he was hiding in a cave, trembling away having just smoked his entire packet of cigarettes from stress...
Nasty sucker that wedgie is, and it didn't seem to be around nesting time then, either...

There are 5 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints