Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 24
Author
WANTED 1967 Guidebook Rock Climbs in the Blue Mtns

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19-Jun-2015
8:14:18 PM
Specifically...
Rock Climbs in the Blue Mountains, by John Ewbank, published in 1967 (the year of the very first Crackers!).
... This is the unique edition, ie the one with a Black & White photograph stuck on the front page.

Anyone have one? ... and more importantly are you prepared to part with it? ... or know where I can track one down?

I am willing to negotiate and pay a fair price for it.

I don't actually want it for myself, but rather I intend to donate it to the Nuts Museum where Stéphane Pennequin will take good care of it in a worthy historical display.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
9-Sep-2015
8:10:52 AM
bump...

Does anyone in the Blueys know if local libraries there might have a copy?

rodw
9-Sep-2015
9:45:53 AM
Oldest one I have is form 1995..Sydney Rockies gudie

apart from a few Rock insert style guides for cosmic and sea cliffs
Richard Delaney
9-Sep-2015
10:01:40 AM
Earliest I have is:
"New Rockclimbs in the Blue Mountains"
by George Owens in 1972

but it's only a photo copy I made in 1992...
climberman
9-Sep-2015
10:08:38 AM
On 9/09/2015 rodw wrote:
>Oldest one I have is form 1995..Sydney Rockies gudie
>
>
>
>apart from a few Rock insert style guides for cosmic and sea cliffs

I have that! Was that Bede's beta version?

rodw
9-Sep-2015
10:16:46 AM
Yep certainly was.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
9-Sep-2015
11:50:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback chaps.
I think I am getting a better appreciation of the term 'hens teeth'...
;-)
jrc
9-Sep-2015
10:54:06 PM
You are.

Mine has the yellow paper covers front & back - as it came from paddys in 1972.

kuu
10-Sep-2015
8:59:05 AM
I have two copies of Ewbank's 1967 Guide. Yellow cover but no sign of ever having a photograph attached. You're welcome to one of these at no charge if it's of any use.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
10-Sep-2015
4:43:44 PM
On 10/09/2015 kuu wrote:
>I have two copies of Ewbank's 1967 Guide. Yellow cover but no sign of ever
>having a photograph attached. You're welcome to one of these at no charge
>if it's of any use.
>
Thanks kuu. I will contact Stéphane Pennequin at Nut Museum and see if he is interested.
lacto
10-Sep-2015
5:08:47 PM
here are the hens teeth but couldn't get a photo it!!!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
10-Sep-2015
5:12:13 PM
On 10/09/2015 lacto wrote:
>here are the hens teeth but couldn't get a photo it!!!

;-)
(I like the humour!)
jrc
10-Sep-2015
7:38:42 PM
That's it Kevin; I'm pretty sure the photo covered guide was the A4 format update that came out end 1972 (I remember helping binding these at Keith Royce's dads place in Wahroongah at an SRC Christmas BBQ).
lacto
10-Sep-2015
8:01:20 PM
doubt it would have been A4
MUMC printed and published the Guide to the Victorian Alps in a 8'X10' paper I think it was called quarto and was smaller than foolscap .
mikllaw
16-Sep-2015
6:26:16 AM
It's not this is it?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Sep-2015
8:57:51 AM
On 16/09/2015 mikllaw wrote:
>It's not this is it?

Ahh, Bryden Allen and Ted Batty atop Belougery Spire with view towards Crater Bluff and Tonduron Spire, in the Warrumbungles... Maybe taken after their ascent of Out And Beyond in 1962... or Scunge Gully in 1963?

Thanks for posting that bit of history mikl.
To answer your query, I don't know, but suspect not.
I am following up Stéphane for further detail and have since made him aware of this thread so he may contribute directly.

This whole thread arose (on my part), out of background emails we exchanged around the time of John Ewbank's passing, while discussing JE Crackers and such...
I can't remember now if Stéphane was going to use it in a John Ewbank tribute historical display then or not, but nevertheless believe that such Australian Climbing Heritage items need to be preserved for future generations to ponder and take inspiration from.

kuu
16-Sep-2015
2:00:06 PM
I think the photo depicts Bryden Allen and Jack Pettigrew (not Ted Batty)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Sep-2015
3:14:58 PM
On 16/09/2015 kuu wrote:
>I think the photo depicts Bryden Allen and Jack Pettigrew (not Ted Batty)
>
My apologies to all concerned.
You are likely correct kuu as I have not met either gentleman (Jack or Ted), as no doubt you probably have due to also putting up first ascents in the Warrumbungles at that time. Jack was certainly around then as he is listed as accompanying John Davis on the first ascent of If The Spirit Moveth in 1962.

My quick perusal of early Guides doesn't seem to list Jack as a Bryden partner for a first ascent on Belougery, yet I noticed that Ted was a regular climbing partner for many Bryden first-ascents in the 'bungles. This of course doesn't mean they didn't climb together, plus someone else* may have taken the photo rather than it being on a time delay?

(*Perhaps yourself?)
;-)

kuu
16-Sep-2015
3:35:35 PM
Visit the following page on Bryden's website and scroll down to near the bottom:

http://www.brydenallen.com/My%20Exploits%20in%20the%20Warrumbungles.html
mikllaw
17-Sep-2015
8:29:28 AM
http://www.brydenallen.com/download%20files/rock_climbs_of_nsw.pdf

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 24
There are 24 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints