Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
FS: some Cams. Price drop.

thylaxene
1-May-2012
4:03:33 PM
Just clearing my rack of doubles and under-used (or never, *cough* #5 camalot!) cams. None have been fallen on.

All prices +postage.

SOLD BD Camalot #5 Green.
SOLD BD Camalot #4 Purple.

HB Wales solid stem #3.8.
HB Wales solid stem #2 1/2.
HB Wales Micromate #1 1/2.
HB Wales Micromate #1 1/2.
Rock Face II #0.
Bundle Price for the rest: $80 + postage.
patto
1-May-2012
4:11:47 PM
thylaxene - I don't mean to be rude, or scare away customers. I just want people to be informed.

Those twin stem Camalots have a known defect in the wire to head swaging. On close inspection it is common for cracks to be visible around the connection. (I've seen it on many but not all I've personally inspected) Either way I wouldn't recommend anybody to by buying that gold cam for anything but historical collections. (Personally I wouldn't have a problem using the rest of the gear 2nd hand.)

More information here:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=101473&f=0&b=0#msg101666
Wendy
1-May-2012
4:35:17 PM
Aside from $35 being super hopeful for a 20 year old piece of gear that you can buy new for $70 (in Australia), I don't think the cracking is a problem. I have several of that generation that haven't cracked and one that has. I wrote to BD about it many many years ago and they weren't replacing them, because (a) they were pissing them off as Chounard (which i think mine at least actually was) and (b) they claimed it wasn't a safety issue because the thing couldn't pull through and fail anyway. Whether that claim is reasonable or not is a good question.
dalai
1-May-2012
4:38:00 PM
Thanks for the info Patto - I have a size one and two in my collection...

Not that I'd fall on anything that small, but that is worrying! ;-)
bigfish
2-May-2012
8:09:56 AM
Hi wendy.. i got a bit mixed up in your reply.. It looks to me there are only 2 bd cams there.. Are the cams with the cracking the camalots or the HB wales trigger pull ones.. I would just like to know which ones have the problem.. thanks
Wendy
2-May-2012
8:22:06 AM
It's the gold camalot that now been taken off. The single stem BDs don't have the problem. But apparently the problem isn't a safety concern anyway. I'm sure i've fallen on all three of my double stem camalots a bit over the years.

thylaxene
2-May-2012
9:23:36 AM
People feel free to ask me any questions about the cams. None of of them are buggered or dodgy. Just selling as I'm a once, twice a month trad climber if I'm lucky and don't need a double set of cams on my rack.
One Day Hero
2-May-2012
2:16:38 PM
Wow, I remember those HB fixed things with the crazy triggers from the first ever climbing catalogue I picked up..........they were pretty half arsed about selling them. It was all about how "quadcams are the most high tech awesome thing on the planet, and micromates are for extreme pocket placements, and the fixed things are for if you're poor!"

It would be pretty sweet to have those crappy relics hanging on the rack though

Also, what was it with HB and their "size 3.8"? They couldn't just make the things 5mm bigger, and have a proper size like everyone else?
sleake
2-May-2012
5:12:21 PM
Hey man - keen for the big mumma green one if its still around.

Hit me up on sleake62 at hotmail.com if you want a faster reply.

Cheers man, Steve
bigfish
4-May-2012
7:04:41 AM
any chance you can put a picture of the gold one back.. i don't think i have seen one before.. thanks

thylaxene
4-May-2012
5:45:32 PM
It is there. Far left cam is an old Chouinard gold #2 camalot.

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints