Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: 120cm Nylon Runner. (Open sewn sling) 18mm wide nylon. Assorted colours. Awesome value IMO. SOLD OUT!  $8.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
OT - Rope Playground for Kids
martym
18/04/2011
7:46:00 AM
Got a 10 year old niece's birthday coming up, and we're planning to build a rope playground using some apple and walnut trees in the orchard here (spaced between 8-15m apart)
My ideas so far are a slackline with handline (approx 8m); some looped ladder type stuff; possibly a net-traverse and potentially a flying fox.

Anyone got any advice on types of materials to use (we'll whack some of our climbing gear in there; but want to keep it semi permanent for her to play on)
Gonna hit the hardware stores in search of bargains.
The main concern is how to construct a cheap flying fox & how to prevent the rope melting on the first day!
martym
20/04/2011
5:48:24 AM
Seriously?
No one has any suggestions?
Please... its for a sweet little kid...

brat
20/04/2011
9:14:32 AM
There's a dozen ways to do this, either
$275 for http://www.yardgames.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=999&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=getprice&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc
which will last for ages or you can go the cheap route (I know you will) and buy some poly rope (I suggest at least 15mm for fat kids/longevity but you can get away with thinner) and a snatch block to suit from some dodgy ex-army/tool shop and have a small tyre tied to the bottom on end to sit/stand on.
I've built cheap swings, tree house etc for our 18 mnth and 30 mnth olds and they love them. Am about to build spiders web (like a pyramid so they fall into it) out of 15mm to get them climbing, keep it low to start and raise/extend it as their confidence/skills allow.
Have fun.

brat
20/04/2011
8:10:22 PM
Alright, I got a bit carried away, maybe 12mm poly, good for 2000kg and ok for small hands, $129 for 220m on ebay!
grangrump
21/04/2011
1:56:50 PM
On 20/04/2011 brat wrote:
>$275 for ... [commercial flying fox]
Or if you've got some old static, you could buy a double pulley
e.g. http://www.climbinganchors.com.au/products/Fixe-Double-Pulley.html

My observation is that the more involved the child is, the better the 'toy'.
Some non-rope options:
$100 of sand dumped in the backyard + hose (in summer).
Or a few wooden crates + saw + hammer + old paint + old clothes + stand back.
widewetandslippery
21/04/2011
2:30:29 PM
1 packet of jelly +1 sheet of rohys= 1 quiet afternoon.
martym
28/04/2011
5:38:08 AM
On 21/04/2011 grangrump wrote:
>My observation is that the more involved the child is, the better the>'toy'.
>Some non-rope options:
>$100 of sand dumped in the backyard + hose (in summer).
>Or a few wooden crates + saw + hammer + old paint + old clothes + stand>back.

This girl is 10, has a mobile phone, goes to scouts every week.
We're pretty certain what she likes, we just want to get it done without spending a fortune.
martym
28/04/2011
5:40:18 AM
On 20/04/2011 brat wrote:
> Am about to build spiders web (like a pyramid so they
>fall into it) out of 15mm to get them climbing, keep it low to start and
>raise/extend it as their confidence/skills allow.

What's the construction plan for the spiders web? - we only really have trees at our disposal.

thanks for all the other tips!

brat
28/04/2011
12:04:34 PM
You can use a solid limb (3 to 4 metres high as necessary) as the centre pick up point for the spiders web, then run a rope from that point back in to higher in the tree(trunk) to give it more strength if needed.

As for the plan, I'm building it like a net, the smallest square a hand width, then making the squares gradually bigger from the centre so that it forms a pyramid. 3 metres high and each side at the base 3 metres long with pegs to hold it's shape, can add or subtract depending on height of tree and the age of the climbers.

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints