Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Set of 11 DMM "Wallnuts" (1 to 11) NB NEW Anodized colours!!! New "lighter" version. Steve's favourite wired Nuts. SUPER Special until 16th of October or Sold Out!   $185.00
16% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
OT - Rope Playground for Kids
martym
18/04/2011
7:46:00 AM
Got a 10 year old niece's birthday coming up, and we're planning to build a rope playground using some apple and walnut trees in the orchard here (spaced between 8-15m apart)
My ideas so far are a slackline with handline (approx 8m); some looped ladder type stuff; possibly a net-traverse and potentially a flying fox.

Anyone got any advice on types of materials to use (we'll whack some of our climbing gear in there; but want to keep it semi permanent for her to play on)
Gonna hit the hardware stores in search of bargains.
The main concern is how to construct a cheap flying fox & how to prevent the rope melting on the first day!
martym
20/04/2011
5:48:24 AM
Seriously?
No one has any suggestions?
Please... its for a sweet little kid...

brat
20/04/2011
9:14:32 AM
There's a dozen ways to do this, either
$275 for http://www.yardgames.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=999&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=getprice&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc
which will last for ages or you can go the cheap route (I know you will) and buy some poly rope (I suggest at least 15mm for fat kids/longevity but you can get away with thinner) and a snatch block to suit from some dodgy ex-army/tool shop and have a small tyre tied to the bottom on end to sit/stand on.
I've built cheap swings, tree house etc for our 18 mnth and 30 mnth olds and they love them. Am about to build spiders web (like a pyramid so they fall into it) out of 15mm to get them climbing, keep it low to start and raise/extend it as their confidence/skills allow.
Have fun.

brat
20/04/2011
8:10:22 PM
Alright, I got a bit carried away, maybe 12mm poly, good for 2000kg and ok for small hands, $129 for 220m on ebay!
grangrump
21/04/2011
1:56:50 PM
On 20/04/2011 brat wrote:
>$275 for ... [commercial flying fox]
Or if you've got some old static, you could buy a double pulley
e.g. http://www.climbinganchors.com.au/products/Fixe-Double-Pulley.html

My observation is that the more involved the child is, the better the 'toy'.
Some non-rope options:
$100 of sand dumped in the backyard + hose (in summer).
Or a few wooden crates + saw + hammer + old paint + old clothes + stand back.
widewetandslippery
21/04/2011
2:30:29 PM
1 packet of jelly +1 sheet of rohys= 1 quiet afternoon.
martym
28/04/2011
5:38:08 AM
On 21/04/2011 grangrump wrote:
>My observation is that the more involved the child is, the better the>'toy'.
>Some non-rope options:
>$100 of sand dumped in the backyard + hose (in summer).
>Or a few wooden crates + saw + hammer + old paint + old clothes + stand>back.

This girl is 10, has a mobile phone, goes to scouts every week.
We're pretty certain what she likes, we just want to get it done without spending a fortune.
martym
28/04/2011
5:40:18 AM
On 20/04/2011 brat wrote:
> Am about to build spiders web (like a pyramid so they
>fall into it) out of 15mm to get them climbing, keep it low to start and
>raise/extend it as their confidence/skills allow.

What's the construction plan for the spiders web? - we only really have trees at our disposal.

thanks for all the other tips!

brat
28/04/2011
12:04:34 PM
You can use a solid limb (3 to 4 metres high as necessary) as the centre pick up point for the spiders web, then run a rope from that point back in to higher in the tree(trunk) to give it more strength if needed.

As for the plan, I'm building it like a net, the smallest square a hand width, then making the squares gradually bigger from the centre so that it forms a pyramid. 3 metres high and each side at the base 3 metres long with pegs to hold it's shape, can add or subtract depending on height of tree and the age of the climbers.

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints